College of Graduate Studies

After you're admitted — next steps

Make your transition to graduate studies at UToledo as smooth as possible. Review and complete these next steps after you’ve been admitted.

1. Activate your myUT account.

Use myUT to obtain your Rocket Card (student ID) and parking pass.

activate myut account

2. Complete required orientation and training.

All graduate students must complete orientation and training. International students must complete an additional, separate orientation. Your degree program also may require its own orientation.

start orientation and Training

3. meet with your program advisor and Register for classes.

Your advisor is your best resource for making sure you register for the right courses. They can help you develop your plan of study and answer program-specific questions. Your advisor is listed on your admission letter and in myUT (look under myUT → My Registration Steps → Student Profile - New).

To register for courses, log in to myUT and click the “Student” tab.

Registration Dates and Deadlines

4.Pay your tuition and fees.

Payment Due Dates How to pay your bill

5. Visit the Graduate Success Center

The Graduate Success Center connects you to the resources you need, when you need them. It provides you with personal, social, academic and professional support.

Graduate Success Center

Are you an international graduate student?

The Office of International Student and Scholar Services provides you with all necessary information once you’re admitted (orientation, visa requirements, housing and more).

I-20 documents

We prepare I-20 documents for international students who have accepted an offer of admission.

After you have been admitted, request an I-20 document (Certificate of Eligibility) in the International Rocket Portal. You will need to fill out one of the following forms:

  • If you will be requesting your initial I-20, submit the Graduate Student Initial I-20 Request form.
  • If you have previously received an I-20 from us and need to defer it, submit the I-20 Deferral Request form.
  • If you currently have an active SEVIS record and are inside the U.S., submit the Transfer In form.

Note: It typically takes 24 hours to fully activate your myUT account and UTAD ID and gain access to the International Rocket Portal.

The I-20 will be emailed to you as a PDF once we have received all required supporting documentation. Bank documents/scholarship letters must be dated within 30 days of submission. Bank documents/scholarship letters older than 30 days will not be considered. All documents must be submitted through the iRocket portal.


You will need a passport from your government to enter the United States. 

Apply for a passport as soon as possible. In some countries you will need to provide proof of admission to a school in the United States before a passport will be granted.

Student visas

If you are coming to the United States with the primary purpose of enrolling full time in a graduate program, you’ll need to get a visa from the United States Embassy/Consulate to enter the United States. 

To apply for a visa, visit the nearest United States Embassy/Consulate and bring:

  • Your passport
  • Your Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20) issued by the College of Graduate Studies
  • Proof of adequate financial support for your studies and living expenses
  • Your letter of admission to UToledo
  • Proof of payment of the SEVIS (Student Exchange Visitor Information System) fee

You must complete form I-901 to pay the SEVIS fee to the Department of Homeland Security prior to your student visa interview. The U.S. Embassy/Consulate will have the latest SEVIS fee information.

It also may be helpful to bring:

  • A copy of your TOEFL score report
  • Proof of professional and/or economic ties that would compel you to return to your home country
  • Forms or materials that document your previous studies in the United States

Students coming directly from another county on a student visa (F-1 or J-1) are limited to entering the United States no earlier than 30 days before their I-20 start date. Students already in school in the U.S. are not subject to this requirement; please see our school's Office of International Student and Scholar Services for details.

Graduate-level students with visas also must be full-time students with at least 9 credit hours per semester.

The U.S. Embassy/Consulate may be able to advise you of any changes in immigration law that might affect your stay in the United States.



Off-campus housing.
Most graduate students live off campus in apartments or rental houses. Visit or Apartment Guide to research rental options.

Rentals near Main Campus Rentals near Health Science Campus

On-campus housing.
UToledo has no designated graduate student residence hall. If you choose to live on campus, you will most likely live with undergraduate students. Visit UToledo Residence Life to learn more about on-campus housing.

On-campus employment

If you're interested in finding employment on campus, contact Career Services.

Do you already have a graduate assistantship?
If you are a GA and want to find additional work, you will need to get approval from the College of Graduate Studies by filling out a form and are limited in the number of hours you can work. Learn more about the process to obtain additional on-campus employment.

Questions About your Application?

Visit Stranahan Hall, Room 1048
Mailing address
The University of Toledo
College of Graduate Studies
2801 W. Bancroft, MS 933
Toledo, OH 43606

Questions About Your Degree Progress?

Visit University Hall, Room 3240
Last Updated: 6/12/23