Office of International Student and Scholar Services


On Campus Employment      Optional Practical Training (OPT)       Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

From the Department of Homeland Security

There are limited work opportunities available in the United States for F-1 students. For this reason, before coming to the United States, F-1 students must prove they have the financial ability (e.g., present bank statements) to pay for tuition and living expenses while studying in the United States.

The U.S. government takes illegal employment very seriously. Students must get authorization from OISSS, before starting any on-campus employment; you must get your recommendation from OISSS and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) authorization before starting any other employment. If you are found working illegally your SEVIS record will be automatically terminated and, you must depart the country immediately.  Read the complete Broadcast Message

SEVP BROADCAST Message November 9, 2017

The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) asks designated school officials (DSOs) to ensure their F-1 international students know what steps to take if they encounter fraud while participating in optional practical training (OPT). Read the complete SEVP Broadcast Message.

Last Updated: 6/10/24