Research and Sponsored Programs

Frequently-Asked Questions

The following frequently-asked questions are intended to help researchers navigate the university's system of assistance and oversight for proposals and awards.

Where can I find program announcements and solicitations?

The University of Toledo subscribes to Infoed Global's SPIN Plus (Sponsored Programs Information Network), a premier funding opportunity search engine with over 40,000 current opportunities across all disciplines. SPIN features a customizable personal profile and search-specific email alerts.Other search options include for federal sponsors, and the Foundation Center for foundations. Also watch the RSS feeds available in the UT Portal! For more information, contact Rick Francis, Director, HSC Research and Sponsored Programs.

Where are the RSP offices?
Main Campus and the Health Science Campus each have an RSP office.
     - The Main Campus office is located in the Research and Technology Complex 1 building (R1).
        Suites 2200 & 2300.
     - The HSC office is in Center for Creative Instruction building (CCE).
        Suite 2102.
What internal forms do I need to get my proposal approved? 
Required forms can be found on the RSP Forms web page.
The program I want to apply to requires online submission. What does RSP do?
The answer varies with the sponsor and program, but many require submission by the RSP office, and many require the PI to have an account.  Contact your RSP office to ensure you are correctly registered (if required) with the agency, and to get information specific to your program.
I have questions on the budget for my proposal. Can RSP help me?
RSP can assist with salaries, fringe benefit rates, indirect cost rates and calculations, and more.
When do the Investigator Financial Disclosure Rules apply?
In accordance with the new PHS policy and as indicated in the relevant policy of The University of Toledo, all individuals on a grant proposal, regardless of role, as well as unnamed individuals involved in the design, conduct, or reporting of the program, are required to disclose any financial conflicts of interest annually, or whenever there is a change of interests. For more information, contact the RSP staff.
How many days do you need to review my proposal?
RSP asks for a minimum of 5 days ahead of the deadline, but it's never too early to make sure the right questions are being answered. 

Complex proposals, e.g. with subcontracts or multiple investigators, may require weeks of work! Many proposals can be reviewed in a matter of days, but it is ALWAYS a good idea to begin discussing your proposal with RSP as soon as possible. 
Who is the Authorized Official?  Is it the PI?
The University of Toledo has a very short list of administrators who are authorized to sign proposals.  This information and much more for proposals may be found on the RSP Institutional Data pages: for Main Campus and for Health Science Campus.
Whom should I contact about getting approval to use animals or human subjects in my research?
Click for information on the use of animals in research, including contact information.

UT's Department of Human Research Protections (DHRP) is responsible for oversight of all UT research activities that involve human subjects. Research protocols are reviewed by one of UT's two Institutional Review Boards (IRBs): a Biomedical IRB, and a Social, Behavioral and Educational IRB.  For more information on what research must be reviewed by the IRBs and other items such as required education and submission forms, please visit the DHRP Main Menu.  DHRP also maintains a Human Subjects in Research FAQ.

Whom should I contact about using hazardous substances, such as infectious agents or radioactive isotopes?
The Research Compliance web page will point you in the right direction, including contact information.
Who is responsible for copying and mailing a proposal?
The PI is responsible for these tasks.
My grant ends this year. How can I get an extension?
Start by contacting your RSP office. Updated compliance forms may be required.
My question isn’t here. Whom shall I contact?
Start with a phone call to your RSP office! 
     - Main Campus: 419.530.2844
     - Health Science Campus: 419.383.4252.

Top of Page

Last Updated: 6/30/19