College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics

Policies and Procedures

All policies and procedures of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics are in accordance with the policies of the University of Toledo.

The University of Toledo Office of the Registrar

Grades and Grading
The University of Toledo Policy on Grades and Grading:
3364-71-11 Grades and Grading (PDF)

Advanced Placement (AP)
The University of Toledo awards college credit for students who have taken AP exams in various subjects and have earned sufficiently high scores. Students should request that their scores be sent to UToledo at the time they take the exams. Students who did not request that their scores be sent directly can turn in a copy of their AP score report to the Student Services Office for review. (Back to top ⇈)

Adding or Dropping a Course
3364-71-08 Adding and/or Dropping a Course (PDF)

Add/Drop Period: The first 15 calendar days of a semester. Students have until the 15th calendar day of each semester to process schedule adjustments, such as Adding or Dropping classes, and/or opting to Audit a course, or take a course on a Pass/No Credit basis.

Adding A Course: A student may add a course up to the end of the 3rd calendar day of a new semester without the instructor's signature as long as there is an empty seat in the course. If a student wishes to add a class between the 4th and 15th inclusive calendar day of a semester, the student must obtain the instructor's signature on a Course Request Form and take the form to the Office of the Registrar to enroll in that course.

Dropping A Course: A student may drop a course during the first 15 calendar days of a semester with no record appearing on the student's transcript. After the 15th calendar day of a semester through Friday of the 8th calendar week, a student can officially withdraw from a course (see Withdrawing from a Course). This time period is reduced proportionally for the summer session. (Back to top ⇈)

Grade Point Average (GPA)

UToledo Cumulative GPA: A UToledo student's cumulative grade point average is computed by dividing the total number of quality hours into the total number of quality points earned, including F grades for all repeated courses that have not been approved for deletion on the basis of petition by the student (see GPA Recalculation for a Repeated Course).

Higher Education GPA: A student's higher education (overall) grade point average includes all work taken at all institutions of higher education, including the UToledo grade point average (not adjusted by Grade Deletions or the Academic Forgiveness Policy). The higher education GPA will be used for purposes of determining eligibility for University, collegial, departmental or professional honors or other recognition-based upon the student's undergraduate academic career and record of academic performance.

Major GPA: To obtain a degree or certificate in an undergraduate program, the student must have the proper number of credit hours in the courses required for the degree and a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. Grade point average requirements may be higher in certain colleges and in certain majors; this information is available in the individual college listings in the General Catalog. (Back to top ⇈)

Repeated Courses

Credit for most repeated courses will count only once toward degree requirements. Grades for all attempts at a course will appear on a student's transcript and will count toward the Grade Point Average, unless the student has passed the repeated course with a C or better and has processed a grade deletion. (Back to top ⇈)

GPA Recalculation for a Repeated Course
3364-71-07 Repeating a course and calculating GPA (PDF)

A student may repeat the same course to attempt to earn a higher grade. If the student earns a higher grade in the repeated course, the student may petition to have the first grade excluded from the grade point average computation. The original course will remain on the student's transcript, but the transcript will show that the ordinal grade has been deleted from the grade point average. No more than a total of 12 semester hours of course work may be deleted. The policy applies ONLY to the first recorded grade in a course, which a student has repeated. Grades of NC, I, W, IW, DR and PR cannot be excluded under this policy because they have no effect on the GPA calculation.

A student who wishes to petition for a GPA recalculation for a repeated Natural Sciences and Mathematics (NSM) course must obtain the Petition for a GPA Recalculation form from the Student Services Office in University Hall 3000. The student should fill out the student information section of the petition and take the petition to the department that teaches the course. The department will verify that the low grade earned in the original course was not the result of academic dishonesty. The petition should be returned to the Student Services Office for approval and processing.

Students who have taken NSM courses which are no longer being taught may come to the Student Services Office in University Hall 3000 to inquire as to whether there is a new course which may be used for the purposes of GPA recalculation.

Grades of UToledo courses may be deleted only by repeating a UToledo course. Transfer courses may not be used for the purpose of grade deletions. (Back to top ⇈)

Audit Grade Option (AU)

The notation AU appears on the student's record when he or she enrolls in a course for audit. AU is not a grade and no credit is granted. An auditor is not required to complete assignments or tests, nor is the instructor required to grade any of the student's work in the course. A student taking a course not for credit pays the same as a course being taken for credit. Financial Aid does not pay for audited courses.

Students electing to audit a course must declare their intention by selecting AU when registering for the course via the web for students, phone registration or in person at the Office of the Registrar. Students who decide to audit after the initial registration period have until the 15th calendar day of the term (or the end of add/drop period) to select the audit option. (Back to top ⇈)

Pass/No Credit (PS/NC) Grade Option

Students may elect to enroll in certain undergraduate courses for PS/NC rather than an AF grade. If the PS/NC option is chosen, a grade of C or better will be recorded as PS; grades of C-, D+, D, D- and F will be recorded as NC. Grades of PS and NC do not affect a student's GPA. Once a student has opted for a Pass/No Credit grade, and has been approved by the college, the student cannot have the grade reversed no matter how well a student does in a particular class.

Most departments do not allow students to take courses in the major or related area as Pass/No Credit. Students should consult their major advisor before electing to take a course Pass/No Credit.

To take a class PS/NC, a Natural Sciences and Mathematics student must obtain and file a Petition for Pass/No Credit Grade form in the Student Services Office by the 15th calendar day of the term (during the Add/Drop period). (Back to top ⇈)


After the 15th calendar day of a semester through the Friday of the 10th calendar week, a student can officially withdraw from a course. Withdrawing from a course(s) will result in a grade of "W", which will appear on your official transcripts. Once a withdrawal is processed, it cannot be rescinded. Based on the date of withdrawal, fees may or may not be adjusted.  Since withdrawn courses reduce your enrolled hours, withdrawing from courses may have an adverse effect on financial aid benefits, scholarships, loan deferments, athletic eligibility, health insurance, veterans benefits, degree requirements or other areas. If you are uncertain what effect withdrawing from the course(s) would have, contact the Rocket Solution Central and/or your academic advisor for guidance

Drops and withdrawals can be processed online through the myUT portal (provided there are no holds), and can also be processed at Rocket Solution Central (RSC) located in Rocket Hall, Room 1200 regardless of having a hold. Failure to drop or withdrawal from a course for which a student has stopped attending may result in a grade of "F".  Specific drop and withdrawal dates for a term are listed on the University's academic calendar and hereor by contacting Rocket Solution Central (RSC) 419.530.8700  (Back to top ⇈)

Academic Standing
The University of Toledo Policy on Academic Standing:
3364-71-01 Academic Standing (PDF)


Academic Probation occurs when a student's University of Toledo cumulative grade point average (GPA) is less than 2.0. This is an automatic action and will continue until the student achieves a 2.0 GPA.

Probation is not the same as suspension. However, a student on probation is limited to no more than 15 hours of course work and must meet with their advisor before registering for courses. (Back to top ⇈)


Academic suspension does not allow a student to attend classes at The University of Toledo for a period of at least one semester. If a person has returned from suspension and is suspended a second time, that suspension will last one year. If a person is suspended a third time, that suspension usually results in a student's dismissal from the university. (Back to top ⇈)

Transient Student

University of Toledo students who wish to take courses at another college or university to meet UToledo requirements must receive prior approval from their advisor and must complete the Transient Student Advance Approval form (Word doc). The form must be submitted to Student Services (UH 3000) and your courses must be approved in advance of your enrollment elsewhere as a guest. This important step assures you that your courses will apply to your UToledo program or serve as prerequisites, and it helps you avoid having to reapply as a transfer readmit upon your return to UToledo.

Students seeking information regarding equivalent courses at other institutions should check the UToledo "Transfer Course Equivalency Guides" at to see how courses will transfer and apply to UToledo degrees. Instructions for to top ⇈)

Academic Dishonesty
The University of Toledo Policy on Academic Dishonesty:
3364-71-04 Academic Dishonesty (PDF)

As the university holds students responsible for what constitutes academic dishonesty, if students are uncertain, they should seek their instructor's advice.

The following are examples, but academic dishonesty is not limited to only these:
  • Plagiarism: representing the words, ideas or information of another person as one's own and not giving proper documentation;
  • Giving or receiving, prior to an examination, any unauthorized information about the exam;
  • Referring to or displaying any unauthorized information inside or outside an examination room during the course of an examination;
  • Communicating with another unauthorized person during the course of an examination concerning the examination or any part of it;
  • Giving or receiving substantive aid during the course of an examination;
  • Commencing an examination before the stipulated time or continuing to work on an examination after the announced conclusion of an examination;
  • Taking, converting, concealing, defacing, damaging, or destroying any property related to the preparation or completion of assignments, research or examinations;
  • Submitting the same written work to fulfill the requirements of more than one course. (Back to top ⇈)

Academic Forgiveness Policy
The University of Toledo Policy on Academic Forgiveness:
3364-71-06 Academic Forgiveness (PDF)
Academic Forgiveness Petition Form (PDF)

Under certain conditions, an undergraduate student who re-enrolls in The University of Toledo after an absence from the University (or any academic institution of higher education) is permitted the opportunity to have his/her academic standing calculated from the point of readmission. Once the student has demonstrated the ability to sustain a satisfactory level of academic performance, all grades of C-, D+, D, D-, F, E, P and WF are forfeited. Grades of A, A-, B, B+, B-, C+, C and PS will only be counted for credit.

The returning student is eligible to petition for the Academic Forgiveness Policy if one of the following criteria is met:
1. Former students who have not been enrolled at UToledo or any other accredited academic institution of higher learning for a period of at least two calendar years, during which time the student has a documented enlistment in the U.S. Armed Forces.
2. Former students who have not been enrolled at UToledo or any other accredited academic institution of higher learning for a period of at least three calendar years.

Students who would be eligible for academic forgiveness will follow the established procedures for readmission. Upon completion of 24 semester hours of graded academic course work in a baccalaureate degree program, or 16 semester hours of graded academic course work in an associate degree program, and a minimum of time of two semesters, as well as a minimum grade point average of 2.5 in courses since readmission, the student may elect to apply for academic forgiveness by submitting a written petition to the Dean of the College.

If the Dean grants the academic forgiveness, the following procedures will be applied:
1. The previous grade point average is deleted.
2. Credits from all courses taken during the previous enrollment at UToledo with a grade of C or lower are removed (although the grades are retained on the academic transcript with the notation "Academic Forgiveness Policy”).
3. Credits for all courses taken during the previous enrollment at UToledo with a grade of C or better, as well as PS, will only be counted for credit.
4. All calculations of quality hours, quality points and cumulative GPA will be adjusted.

The Academic Forgiveness Policy applies to all grades including those taken on a pass/fail basis, earned during the previous enrollment period at UToledo. If a student received a grade of C-, D+, D or D- during the previous enrollment period for a course that is required in the degree program that the student is pursuing, the student must either retake the course or the dean of the college must approve a suitable substitution.

Under the provisions of the Academic Forgiveness Policy, a student must be re-enrolled at UToledo for a minimum of 32 hours before graduation.

Grades from all courses ever taken at UToledo and the resulting GPA (not adjusted by the Academic Forgiveness Policy) will be used for purposes of determining eligibility for University, collegial, departmental or professional honors or other recognition based upon the student's undergraduate academic career and record of academic performance.

A student may petition for the application of Academic Forgiveness Policy to his/her record only one time in his/her career at UToledo. The policy is only available for the undergraduate course work taken at UToledo and only for the undergraduate students earning a first undergraduate degree. Students may not petition for grade deletions under the University's Grade Deletion Policy after they have used the Academic Forgiveness Policy.

Note: This policy does not apply to Graduate Studies. (Back to top ⇈)

Academic Grievance
The University of Toledo Policy on Academic Grievance:
3364-71-05 Academic Grievance (PDF)

If a student feels that there has been some problem or grievance in a course, that student needs to follow the college procedure for determining student grievances:

  • Student must meet with the Instructor first to discuss the problem. The exceptions to this first step involve sexual or other forms of harassment.
  • Meet with the Department Chair if the student is unable to settle the grievance with the Instructor.
  • Meet with the Associate Dean of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics if the meeting with the Department Chair did not settle the grievance. The Associate Dean will discuss the problem with the student and seek information from the Department Chair and the instructor before making recommendations to resolve the grievance.
  • Petition the NSM Council Committee on Academic Grievance if no resolution has been reached in the previous meetings. The petition the student presents must be written and contain a detailed statement of the reasons for the grievance.
  • Appeal to the University Student Grievance Council as final step if no resolution has been reached in the previous steps. The University Student Grievance Council stipulates the timeline for the grievance process. A grievance petition must be filed with the chair of the student grievance council no later than the last day of classes in the next semester.
  • Each college grievance step is allowed 15 workdays (three calendar weeks excluding holidays), which include 10 workdays (two calendar weeks excluding holidays) for replies to inquiry from previous steps. If these deadlines are not met by any of the individual steps, resolution at that step will be considered unsatisfactory and the student is allowed to proceed to the next step in the grievance process. (Back to top ⇈)

Change of College

A student who is in one of the undergraduate colleges at UToledo and wants to change to a different college must see an advisor in the Student Services Office in University Hall 3000 and an advisor in the new college. If the student meets the criteria set by the college, the advisor will ask the student to fill out a Change of Academic Status form and will admit the student to that college and into a major. (Back to top ⇈)

Multicultural Courses

As part of the University of Toledo Core Curriculum, all students must complete a minimum of two courses in this category, one course in U.S. Diversity and one in Non- Western Diversity. See the General Catalog and Degree Audit for specific course selections. (Back to top ⇈)

Graduation Procedures

Graduation Evaluation Requirements
Two or three semesters before a student intends to graduate, the student and the student’s major advisor should complete a Graduation Quick Check. The student initiates this process. Students with more than one major, or one or more minors, should be evaluated for the completion of each major and minor. Detailed instructions on planning for graduation and ensuring the completion of requirements are available on the Student Services website. (Back to top ⇈)

Last Updated: 9/19/22