Media Communication Bachelor's Degree Overview
The mass media and communication landscape is constantly changing. The University of Toledo’s media communication bachelor’s degree program gives students the versatile skills they need to adapt to evolving trends.
Our goal is to prepare you to become marketable media specialists who can step into a variety of fields. UToledo undergraduates learn how to create, design and distribute communication across media platforms from radio, TV and newspaper to web and mobile.
Students can specialize in broadcast journalism, video production and live sports broadcasting.
Media Communication Bachelor's Degree Highlights
Work on ESPN3 live sports broadcasts. UToledo’s unique partnership with ESPN3 offers students a chance to work behind-the-scenes on live productions of UT sporting events, including football games.
- A state-of-the-art, HD-television studio and control room
- Five production labs with 13 digital audio and video editing workstations, including one specifically for radio production
- A remote production facility
- Three computer labs
- A fully operational, live-production video truck
- Broadcast-quality, HD, digital video cameras
- Advanced video and audio production software
- Work in front of and behind the camera on UT:10, UT’s award-winning, weekly, 10-minute newscast. Do everything from writing stories and shooting video to anchoring and editing.
- Play music, do play-by-play of sporting events or work in other capacities at UT’s WXUT-FM student radio station.
- Write, edit and report for the campus newspaper, The Independent Collegian.
Internships. Faculty has extensive ties to local media outlets and can assist students in finding journalism and broadcasting internships in Toledo and elsewhere.
Graduates with a degree in media communication may have careers in the following positions.
- Broadcasting director
- Community relations manager
- Digital content developer
- Motion graphics specialist
- Multimedia editor
- News reporter or anchor/director
- Online content editor
- Social media specialist
- Sports announcer
- Television producer
Media Communication Bachelor's Degree Curriculum
Media Communication Bachelor’s Degree Sample Courses
- Media Writing I
- Single-camera Production
- Media Production and Performance
- Social Media I
- Multimedia Journalism