President of The University of Toledo
Sharon Gaber, PhDDr. Sharon L. Gaber began her tenure as the 17th president of The University of Toledo in Summer 2015. Throughout the past year, she has worked to build upon the many strengths of the University, while also identifying key areas for growth.
Collaborating with faculty, physicians, staff and students, Dr. Gaber has established five strategic goals for the University:
- Raise its national status by recognizing the tremendous achievements of faculty, researchers, clinicians and students;
- Increase student enrollment and ensure students are better prepared;
- Increase externally funded research so UT may continue to make gains in developing new knowledge in multiple fields;
- Grow philanthropic support for student scholarships, faculty endowments, updated facilities and other University initiatives; and
- Reduce administrative expenses to improve UT’s financial standing.
By realigning the administrative team, she also has streamlined executive positions and, with approval from the Board of Trustees, has merged UT Colleges to reduce the number from 16 to 13.
Dr. Gaber currently serves on the board of trustees for the Toledo Regional Chamber of Commerce, as well as the board of directors for the Regional Growth Partnership. A city and regional planning expert, she came to UT following six years as provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs at the University of Arkansas. Prior to that, Dr. Gaber served in multiple roles in the provost’s office at Auburn University in Alabama, and also worked at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
She earned her bachelor’s degree from Occidental College in Los Angeles, a master’s degree from the University of Southern California, and her doctoral degree in city and regional planning from Cornell University. Dr. Gaber is the mother of three children, including one who is a UT student.
Main Campus University Hall
Room #3500, Mail Stop 946
Sr. Director of Administrative Operations
Administrative Assistant to the President