Founded in 1833, Toledo has become well known for its industry, particularly in auto assembly and glass (hence the nickname "The Glass City"). Toledo is now at the heart of the New Manufacturing Economy, which is entrepreneurial in spirit. The Toledo area recognizes and celebrates this spirit. Toledo is the perfect place to increase your opportunities - this area has talent, capital and networks.
Generations of the region's inhabitants recognized the Toledo area's extraordinary mixture of opportunity, culture, affordability, accessibility and beauty and are dedicated to creating deep, lasting roots here. The cultural and social investments that were made in the past continue to welcome new generations today.
Visiting and Living
Whether you're looking for on or off campus activities, there is something for everyone in Toledo! Toledo is the fourth largest city in the state of Ohio and is centrally located to large cities, including:
- Ann Arbor, MI - One hour away
- Detroit Metro Airport (Romulus, MI) - 55 minutes away
- Chicago, IL - 4+ hours away
- Cleveland, OH - 2+ hours away
- Detroit, MI - 1+ hour away
- New York, NY - 10 hours away
- Pittsburg, PA - 4+ hours away
- Washington, D.C. - 8 hours and 30 minutes away
Don't have a car? No problem! All of these great cities can be accessed by the Megabus, which runs to these cities for a low fare. So if you need a weekend away or just want to see new sites, check out these cities that are close by! Not only does Toledo have a Megabus station but the Amtrak Train also runs through it! This makes it easier to reach New York and Washington, DC as well as many other cities!
If you're looking to stay in Toledo and don't have a car on campus, there are many ways to see the sites of Toledo. The city has a public bus transportation system called TARTA and will take you anywhere you need to go. There is even a dedicated stop at the Transportation Center on main campus. Another transportation option is UT Rides, which is offered through Black and White Transportation. If you want to check out the Toledo Museum of Art or Westfield Franklin Park Mall, UT offers shuttles that will drop you off and pick you up!
- Actor Jamie Farr of M*A*S*H is from Toledo and mentioned the city during his on-air days.
- Toledo has its own theme song: "We're Strong for Toledo."
- Toledo was once claimed by both Ohio and Michigan, which led to the "Toledo War" in 1835 (Ohio gained Toledo while Michigan gained the Upper Peninsula).
- Tony Packo's hot dog sauce went to outer space aboard the space shuttle Columbia in 1997.
- Some of Toledo's nicknames over the years have included "The Glass City," "Frogtown" and "A Renaissance City."
- The Toledo Zoo, constantly rated as one of the nation's 10 best, was the first zoo to feature a hippoquarium-style exhibit.
- In honor of the "sister city" relationship between Toledo, Ohio and Toledo, Spain, the Toledo Zoo incorporated Spanish architecture into their building designs throughout the zoo.
- Toledo has long been rumored to have the "most restaurants per capita" in the country.
- Toledo is the fourth largest city in Ohio.
- The Toledo Mud Hens are one of minor league baseball's oldest teams in continuous operation, having first played in 1896.