The Ward M. Canaday Center

for Special Collections

The University of Toledo

Finding Aid

Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County Records 1900-1996

MSS-044

 

Size: 1 linear foot

Provenance: William Leckie, Professor of History, University of Toledo, received this material from Dr. Gordon M. Todd of the Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County in 1966. Leckie was apparently engaged in research on the history of medicine in Toledo. A verbal agreement to allow the Ward M. Canaday Center to accession this collection was made in 1987 by Lee F. Wealton, Executive Director of the Academy.

 In December of 1991, The Ward M. Canaday Center was given copies of the Academy’s journals dating from 1966.  Since that time, the Center has received copies of the journal as they are published.

Access: Open

Collection Summary: Published and unpublished material. Items assembled by the Academy's Historical Committee in the 1950s include: "Magnificent Century" (1954), correspondence concerning the history of Flower and Maumee Valley hospitals, and newspaper clippings. Collection also includes a run of the Academy's newsletters, The Bulletin, (1966-1984), The Academy Bulletin, (1985-1986), and Toledo Medicine, (1987 - Present).

Subjects: Medicine and Health

Copyright: The literary rights to this collection are assumed to rest with the person(s) responsible for the production of the particular items within the collection, or with their heirs or assigns.  Researchers bear full legal responsibility for the acquisition to publish from any part of said collection per Title 17, United States Code.  The Ward M. Canaday Center for Special Collections may reserve the right to intervene as intermediary at its own discretion.

Completed by: Paul M. Gifford, April 1987; accretion, Jamie L. Wraight, December 1991; last updated: June 2014

Introduction

     This collection contains a variety of material relating to the history of the Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County and its role in the history of medicine in Toledo. In addition to miscellaneous material, the collection contains copies of a bimonthly journal, dating from 1966.

 

            There are no restrictions on the use of, or access to, this collection.     

Biographical Sketch

            The roots of the Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County can be found in The Toledo Medical Association. Formed in 1851 by eight “regular” Toledo physicians the Association acted to set rates, to foster the growth of hospitals, and to publish a journal.

           

After the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861 the members of the Association adopted a resolution to attend to the medical needs of volunteer soldiers at no cost.

           

            In 1874 the Toledo Medical Association helped establish Toledo’s second hospital. The facility was first located near East Bancroft Street, and later moved to the corner of Cherry and Bancroft streets.  It presently overlooks Ottawa Park and has grown into The Toledo Hospital.

           

            In 1902 the Toledo Medical Association merged with the Lucas County Medical Society, consolidating the two groups into the Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County.

 

            Between 1902 and 1920 the Academy was without a permanent structure to hold their meetings. This changed in 1920 when the Academy voted to purchase the former Progress Club building at the corner of 15th and Monroe streets.

           

            In the 1940s the Academy decided that their current headquarters would no longer be sufficient due to ever increasing membership. In 1944 the first Building Committee was

appointed. After several years and disagreements as to the location of the new building, the Academy decided on an abandoned lot on the corner of Central and Collingwood. The building was dedicated on September 19, 1952. In 1976 the Academy moved to Secord Road where it is still located today.

           

            During the 40 years that the Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County has been in existence, it has been an integral part of the welfare of the people living in Toledo and surrounding areas. The Academy has played a key role in the founding of nine of Toledo’s hospital facilities, and has published a bimonthly journal since 1877.

Scope and Content Note

            This collection contains a variety of materials sent to Dr. William Leckie of the Department of History, University of Toledo, in 1966. A few miscellaneous items such as the 1964 Toledo Health Fair pamphlet and a 1965 annual report of the Academy’s committees from the mid-1960s are included; but most of the unpublished material was apparently assembled in the late 1950s by the Historical Committee of the Academy.

 

            The historical material includes a pamphlet written in 1954 on the history of the Academy entitled “Magnificent Century,” with a 1958 supplement; correspondence concerning the history of the Flower Hospital and Maumee Valley Hospital; memorial notices of members; and newspaper clippings.  Worthy of mention is a medical diploma granted at Eaton, Madison County, New York, to Blakesley H. Bush (1808-1873), who came to Toledo to practice medicine in 1834.

 

            Beginning in December of 1991, the Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County has continued to donate copies of its bimonthly journal to The Ward M. Canaday Center.  These journals cover a variety of topics, including medical updates, Academy news, and pieces of the Academy’s history.

Folder List

Box

Folder

Item

 

 

 

1

1

Directory and Regulations, 1922, 1929

 

2

Correspondence, 1929-1959

 

3*

Photographs, 1900-1955

 

4

Committees, various - Annual reports, 1965

 

5

Toledo Health Fair, 1964

 

6

Historical Committee, 1960

 

7

Cooley, George W., 1911-1962

 

8

Memorials to members, 1917-1966

 

9

"Magnificent Century,” (pamphlet) 1951, 1958

 

10

Newspaper clippings , 1950-1961

 

11

Publications, 1959-1965

 

12

Printed Material, “Bulletin,” 1966 (March issue only)

 

13

Printed Material, “Bulletin,” 1975 (December issue only)

 

14

Printed Material, “Bulletin,” 1976 (Jan. and Oct. missing)

 

15

Printed Material, “Bulletin,” 1977 (Sept. and Oct. missing)

 

16

Printed Material, “Bulletin,” 1978

 

17

Printed Material, “Bulletin,” 1979

 

18

Printed Material, “Bulletin,” 1980

 

19

Printed Material, “Bulletin,” 1981

 

20

Printed Material, “Bulletin,” 1982

 

21

Printed Material, “Bulletin,” 1983

 

22

Printed Material, “Bulletin,” 1984

 

23

Printed Material, “The Academy Bulletin,” 1985

 

24

Printed Material, “The Academy Bulletin,” 1986

 

    33

Printed Material, “Membership Roster,” 1982, 1994

 

25

Printed Material, “Toledo Medicine,” 1987

 

26

Printed Material, “Toledo Medicine,” 1988

 

27

Printed Material, “Toledo Medicine,” 1989

 

28

Printed Material, “Toledo Medicine,” 1990

 

29

Printed Material, “Toledo Medicine,” 1991

 

30

Printed Material, “Toledo Medicine,” 1992 (Jan.-Feb. missing)

 

31

Printed Material, “Toledo Medicine,” 1993

 

32

Printed Material, “Toledo Medicine,” 1994

 

 

 

2 (R66)

1

Printed Material, “Toledo Medicine,” 1995

2 (R66)

2

Printed Material, “Toledo Medicine,” 1996

NOTE:
R66=66/B/3
* = oversize cabinet, drawer 1