- CFRU Home
- Board, Fellows and Staff
- Contact Us
- Sign up for our mailing list
- Philosophy Home
- Visit us on FACEBOOK
Resources & Events
- Slash Student Journal
- Philosophy Club
- Colloquium Series
- Philosophy Calendar (Events and other important dates)
Main Campus - Philosophy Department
Scott Hall #1020, Mail Stop 510
“There will be no peace among the nations without peace among the religions. There will be no peace among the religions without dialogue among the religions.” -- Hans Küng
The mission of the Center for Religious Understanding at the University of Toledo is to promote a deeper understanding of religion on campus, in the greater Toledo region, in the nation and in the world.
Objectives & Programs
We accomplish our mission through four objectives, and various programs that realize them:
(1) Creative education about religion. We do this through our:
- Signature annual Lecture Series, with intellectually stimulating lectures by UT scholars and national experts on Jewish, Catholic, Muslim, and Eastern religious thought, always free and open to the public, and placed on WGTE’s Knowledge Stream website whenever possible.
- “Faith Matters” TV episodes, website, and discussion guides, all available at wgte.org/faithmatters. The shows are half hour interviews with nationally renowned experts about contemporary issues in religion, such as religion and capital punishment, religion and violence, women in contemporary Islam, and religion and consumerism.
(2) Inter-religious dialogue, both between students and between members of the wider community. We do this through our:
- Annual Jewish-Christian-Muslim (Abrahamic) Dialogue, which has for over eight years been drawing crowds of 200 people to discuss topics of common interest to these traditions, from the basis of their shared history and monotheistic theology.
- Small-group Inferfaith Forums for students from different traditions to share firsthand accounts of religious life and perspectives on a regular basis. There is nothing like real relationships to build real understanding. Contact Bryce Roberts, Pastoral Associate at Corpus Christi University Parish, for more on our forums.
(3) Interfaith service, UT’s response to President Obama’s challenge to college campuses nationwide to bring students of different faiths together to meet a community need. Our project will create a safe and beautiful walking loop in the Old North End during 10 “Walk and Work” Days this school year. Cosponsored with the UT Department of Social Work and the UT Office of Academic Engagement. Contact the project’s director Dr. Sudershan Pasupuleti, Professor of Social Work, for further details.
(4) National-level and locally-engaged research launched by the University of Toledo about religion and related fields. We see research as a long-term gift that can transform assumptions and lives.