Welcome to the LEC
- Lake Erie Center Home
- Our Mission
- Upcoming Events
- Faculty, Staff & Students
- News & Reports
- Education & Outreach
- Prospective Students
- NSF GK-12 Program
- NSF URM Program
- FOLEC (Friends of the LEC)
- UT Sustainability
- Natural Sciences & Mathematics
- Sigma Xi
- Maps and Directions
- Contact Us
- View the Fall 2014
LEC Newsletter (PDF, 1.6 mb)
- View our recent press releases
- Lake Erie Center Weather Station
- View streaming video from our recent public lectures
- Learn about our Environmental Sensor Network
6200 Bayshore Rd.
Oregon, OH 43616
Public Lecture Series, Eugene Braig, Assistant Director, Ohio Sea Grant College Program, The Ohio State University, “Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia in Ohio’s Fish”, Thursday, January 22, 2009, 7 pm.
Public Lecture Series, Dr. Isabel Escobar, Chemical & Environmental Engineering Department, University of Toledo, “What’s in Your Water”, Thursday, February 19, 2009, 7 pm.
Public Lecture Series, Dr. Patrick Kocovsky, USGS Great Lakes Science Center, Lake Erie Biological Station, Sandusky, Ohio, “Lake Erie Yellow Perch: Numbers, Catchability, and Management”, Thursday, March 5, 2009, 7 pm.
Public Lecture Series, Dr. Frank Merritt, College of Law, University of Toledo, “Criminal Enforcement of Federal Environmental Laws (Or the Lack of It)”, Thursday, April 16, 2009, 7 pm.
Earth Day at the LEC, special tour and tree plantings, Wednesday, April 22, 2009.
DES, LEC & BGSU joint seminar. "Neolithic vs Modern Baltic sea fisheries: evidence of a shifting baseline?" Dr. Karin Limburg, Associate Professor of Environmental and Forest Biology, SUNY, Wednesday, April 29, 2009, 4 pm.
LEC High School Student Research Poster Gala, April 30, 2009.
The International Association for Great Lakes Research (IAGLR) 52nd Annual Meeting, “Bridging Ecosystems and Environmental Health in our Great Lakes,” May 18-22, 2009, at the University of Toledo.
Movie Screening, “Waterlife”, a Documentary by Kevin McMahon, Thursday, June 18, 2009, 7 pm.
Nature on Maumee Bay, Summer Science Camp for kids. One week summer science camp featuring laboratory exercises, art and outdoor activities. For entering 4th and 5th graders. June 22 - June 26, 2009, 9 am - 12 pm.
Brown Bag Seminar, Dr. Nadine C. Folino-Rorem, Associate Professor, Biology Department, Wheaton College, "The Taxonomy and Ecological Impact of the Invasive Ponto-Caspian hydroid Cordylophora," Thursday, July 16, 2009, 1 pm.
Master's Thesis Defense, Justin Chaffin, "Physiological Ecology of Microcystis Blooms in Turbid Waters of Western Lake Erie," Dr. Tom Bridgeman, advisor. Tuesday, July 21, 2009, 10:30 am.
Master's thesis defense, Audra Croskey (advisor Dr. Jon Bossenbroek), "Evaluating the costs of the emerald ash borer invasion in Ohio," Tuesday, August 18, 2009, 11 am.
- Lake Erie Experiment (LAKE-X) 2009, Thursday, August 20, 2009.
- Ph.D. dissertation defense, Matthew Neilson (advisor: Dr. Carol Stepien), "Evolution, systematics, and phylogeography
of Ponto-Caspian gobies (Benthophilinae: Gobiidae: Teleostei)," Thursday, September
- Special Brown Bag Seminar, Dr. Ray Wilson, California State University, Long Beach, "Marine Biology from the
Bottom Up: A Final Report
of the MIR Dives to the Charlie-Gibbs Fracture Zone, Central North Atlantic Ocean."
Friday, September 11, 2009, 12 pm, LEC 155.
- Public Lecture Series, Dr. Gary Winston, Director, National Center for Water Quality Research, Heidelberg
"Oxygen toxicity in aquatic invertebrates." Thursday, September 17, 2009, 7 pm.
- "Nature on Maumee Bay" 2009 art contest winners announced, Thursday, September 17, 2009, 5:30 pm.
- Rain Garden Dedication with Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur, Monday, October 5, 2009, 3:30 pm.
- "The Nature of Maumee Bay" Photo Contest entries due, Friday, October 30, 2009. Click here for more information and instructions on how to enter.
- Public Lecture Series, Dr. Steven N. Francoeur, Eastern Michigan University, "The stream, its valley, and
us: How landuse affects
Michigan streams." Thursday, October 15, 2009, 7 pm.
- Public Lecture Series, Dr. David J. Schwab, NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory, "The role
of weather in the sinking of
the Edmund Fitzgerald." Thursday, November 12, 2009, 6:30 pm (please note time change), Lake Erie Center Room 155.
- Special Brown Bag Seminar, Dr. Tim Berra, The Ohio State University, "Chasing nurseryfish and avoiding crocodiles
Australia." Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 12 pm, Lake Erie Center Room 155.
- Darwin Day: Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the College of Arts & Sciences and
the 150th Anniversary of On the Origin of
Species -- Special Lecture by Dr. Tim Berra, The Ohio State University, "Charles Darwin: The Concise Story of
an Extraordinary Man."
Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 7 pm, at the University of Toledo's Doermann Theatre.
Book signing to follow. Download the flyer.
- Ph.D. Dissertation Defense, Joshua Brown (advisor: Dr. Carol Stepien), "Genetic Portraits of Introduced Gobies and Mussels: Population Variation Delineates Invasion Pathways." November 24, 2009, 1 pm, Lake Erie Center Room 155.