Middle Childhood Education 4 - 9 Bachelor's Degree Overview
Do you have high energy, a passion for life and a desire to make a difference in the lives of children, ages 8-14, and their families? This can be accomplished by majoring in middle childhood education. Opportunities on campus and in school and community settings help students absorb the best teaching practices and theories that can be applied to children in grades 4-9.
UT's academic preparation in the arts and sciences is directly linked to the professional preparation for teaching. Students could graduate with two degrees, one in education and one in the arts and science major that they will teach, or earn a single degree in education. Either way, you will choose two of the following specialties: reading and language arts, mathematics, science or social studies. In addition, UT's program explores critical issues such as literacy, technology and multicultural perspectives.
Field experiences during the last two years of study allow students to teach and learn by interacting with students while working with outstanding teachers. After earning either one or two bachelor degrees, students are eligible for initial teacher licensure in the state of Ohio.
College of Education Highlights
- Four years to complete all bachelor's degree programs - Once students start as education majors, they can finish any program within four years.
- More field placements - Our college gives students several field placements in different settings and schools before they start student-teaching. This means they are better prepared for the classroom.
- Focus on math and science education - Much of the demand in Ohio and other states is for teachers in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) fields. Thanks to our partnerships, grants and faculty research, we are a leader in these areas of teacher preparation.
- Better preparation for teaching in urban and diverse settings - Thanks to our close partnerships with Toledo area schools, our students get experience and coursework centered around the unique needs of today's students.
- Master's, education specialist and Ph.D. programs - Our undergraduate students benefit from the high-caliber faculty and resources that are attracted by these upper-level programs.
- 2+2 completion program for Early Childhood - We offer a program for individuals with an associate's degree working in a day care to earn their bachelor's degree within two years, completely online.
The need for talented middle childhood education teachers is strong and is expected to increase through the next decade because of the increasing population of school-aged kids and significant numbers of teachers retiring.
Middle Childhood Education 4 - 9 Bachelor's Degree Curriculum