The University of Toledo Libraries

Ward M. Canaday Center for Special Collections

University of Toledo Archives


The International Style

International Style dates to 1932 when the Museum of Modern Art exhibited the works of modern architects from 15 different countries, all showing similar design elements in their work. The critics dubbed the style "Internationalism" because its features seemed to cross national boundaries. This style was based upon straight planes. While the style is often used in skyscrapers, horizontal space is as important as vertical. Functionalism, simplicity, balance, regularity and flexibility in planning also were components of this style.

5. Engineering-Science Building

[Picture


Architects: Bellman, Gillett, and Richards
Date Completed: 1960
Cost: $2 million

Designed by the same firm and only one year apart, the Student Union and the Engineering-Science Building differ greatly in style. The Engineering -Science Building is the first UT academic building to abandon completely the Gothic tradition in favor of the International Style. It seems natural that a building dedicated to teaching the newest technology would have a structure of modern design. The Engineering-Science Building reflects America's desire for education to move ahead in the post-Sputnik era, severing ties to history and the Gothic World.

Features to note:

6. Snyder Memorial


Architects: Richards, Bauer, and Moorhead
Date Completed: 1964
Cost: $1.69 million

With the post-Sputnik emphasis on education, it was necessary to educate more teachers. Snyder Memorial, built with an endowment from Walter and Grace Snyder, is home for the College of Education and Allied Professions. It is an excellent example of the 1960s brand of Internationalism.

Features to note:


Parks Tower


Architects: Schauder and Martin
Date Completed: 1971
Cost: $7.1 million

Other Buildings of the International Style


Dowd-Nash-White Quadrangle
<!IMG SRC="arcc22.gif" width=500 ALT=[Picture of Dowd-Nash-White Quadrangle] ALIGN=Bottom>

Architects: Peterson, Hoffman, and Grow

Date Completed: 1952
Cost: $1.3 million

 

Mackinnon Hall(new section)

Architects: Richards, Bauer, and Moorhead
Date Completed: 1963
Cost: $500,000

Carter Hall


<!CENTER><!IMG SRC="arcc26.gif" width=500 ALT=[Picture of Carter Hall] ALIGN=Bottom>Architects: Richards, Bauer, and Moorhead
Date Completed: 1964
Cost: $1.05 million<!/CENTER>

Bowman-Oddy Laboratories


<!CENTER><!IMG SRC="arcc27.gif" width=500 ALT=[Picture of Bowman-Oddy Laboratories] ALIGN=Bottom>Architects: Hahn and Hayes
Date Completed: 1968
Cost: $5.1 million<!/CENTER>

Health Education Center

 
Architects: Britsch, Macelwane, Poseler and Lubeck
Date Completed: 1969
Cost: $1.6 million

Student Union (1972 addition)

Architects: Richards, Bauer, and Moorhead
Date Completed: 1972
Cost: $3.6 million

John F. Savage Hall <!CENTER><!IMG SRC="arcc12.gif" width=500 ALT=[Picture of John F. Savage Hall] ALIGN=Bottom>(formerly Centennial Hall)
Architects: Buehrer and Stough
Date Completed: 1976
Cost: $7.25 million <!/CENTER>

Back to Walking Tour Introduction

For all inquiries concerning the University Archives contact Barbara Floyd , University Archivist.


Document Custodian: Canaday Center Staff

Last revised 1, June, 2007

Last Updated: 1/3/12