Sociology & Anthropology Menu
- Faculty Listings
- Related Links
- Contact Us
- Alumni Contact Form
Resources and Links
University of Toledo
2520 University Hall
Mail Stop 956
Toledo, OH 43606
Telephone: (419) 530-4665
Fax: (419) 539- 8406
- 1999 Ph.D., Department of Sociology, Wayne State University, College of Liberal Arts, Dissertation: The impact of bone marrow transplantation on the quality of life of cancer patients and their families: a longitudinal study.
- 1995 Masters of Arts, Department of Sociology, Wayne State University, College of Liberal Arts. The effect of bone marrow transplant on the long term quality of life of cancer patients.
- 1994 Bachelors of Arts, Department of Sociology, Wayne State University, College of Liberal Arts.
|Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology and Anthropology, University of Toledo|
|2002-2004||Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, Indiana University of Pennsylvania|
|1999-2002||Senior Research Analyst, Center for Urban Studies, College of Urban, Labor, and Metropolitan Affairs, Wayne State University|
|1998-1999||Research Associate, College of Urban, Labor, and Metropolitan Affairs, Wayne State University|
|1995-1997||Research Coordinator, Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Henry Ford Hospital, 2799 West Grand Blvd.|
|1992-1995||Research Assistant, Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Wayne State University|
|2006||Advanced Statistics (1 section), Juvenile Delinquency (1 section)|
|2005||Statistics (1 section) Juvenile Delinquency (1 section) Medical Sociology (1 Section) Criminology (1 section) Introduction to Sociology (1 section)|
|2004||Research Methods (1 section), Medical Sociology (3 Sections), Social Problems (1 section), Juvenile Delinquency (1 section), Criminology (1 section), Introductory Sociology (1 section)|
|2003||Research Methods (4 sections), Medical sociology (undergraduate 3 sections, MA level 1 section), Principles of Sociology (2 sections)|
|2002||Research Methods, Principles of Sociology (3 sections - IUP), Introductory to Women’s Studies (2 sections, WSU), Research Methods for Social Scientists (Master’s level, 1 section WSU)|
|1999||Women and Health; Marriage and Intimate Relationships; Outsiders and Deviants; Introductory Sociology; Wayne State University|
|1998||Understanding Human Society; Social Problems; Wayne State University|
|1997||Women and Health, Wayne State University|
|1996||Women and Health, Wayne State University|
Honors and Awards
|Graduate Professional Scholarship, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI|
- Hankin, Janet and Patricia Case, forthcoming. Medical Sociology. Roxbury Publishing.
- Fasenfest, David, Laura Reese, Raymond Rosenfeld and Patricia Case (2005) Evaluation of the impact of the EDA Economic Adjustment Program Investments. U.S. Department of Commerce Economic Development Administration.
Articles in Refereed Journals
- Case, Patricia and David Fasenfest (2006) Predicting risk time and probability: An assessment of prison education and recidivism. Criminology: Under Review: An Interdisciplinary Journal.
- Case, Patricia (2006) Social Opportunity in the Face of Cancer: Understanding the Burden of the Extended Caregiver Network. Forthcoming. Illness, Crisis and Loss.
- Case, Patricia and David Fasenfest (2005) Providing educational support for female ex-inmates: Project PROVE as a model for reintegration. Journal of Correctional Education 56(2):146-157.
- Case, Patricia (2004) Surviving cancer and family costs: Examining the needs of spouses. Illness, Crisis and Loss 12(2): 126-138.
- Case, Patricia and David Fasenfest. (2004) Expectations for opportunities following prison education: A discussion of race and gender. Journal of Correctional Education 55(1): 24-39.
- Baker, L.M. and Patricia Case. (2003) General health problems of inner city sex workers: a pilot study, Journal of Medical Librarian Association, 91(1):67-71.
- Case, Patricia. (2003) “The impact of gender role on recovery from bone marrow transplantation.” Illness, Crisis and Loss, Volume 10 (4):344-355.
- Momin, F., Voravit Ratanatharathorn, Joseph Uberti, Esteban Abella, Chatchada Karanes, Patricia Case, Lawrence Lum, and Lyle Sensenbrenner. 1994. Comparison of outcome of allogeneic bone marrow transplantation (BMT) using HLA identical sibling, matched unrelated and related HLA mismatched donors. Experimental Hematology 22 (8):715
- Case, Patricia. (1999) Practice Exams for Social Problems, in Practice Tests for Social Problems: Eitzen and Baca Zinn, Eight Edition. Allyn and Bacon, Needham Heights, Mass.
Papers in Progress
- Case, Patricia and David Fasenfest. The “norming” of drug use: The impact of community on adolescents.
- Case, Patricia. “Sexual dysfunction following bone marrow transplantation”
- Case, Patricia 2001 Factors influencing employee job satisfaction and retention. for Detroit Medical Center University Laboratories, Detroit, MI.
- Case, Patricia, Neva Nahan and Wilma Scott. 2000 Predicting Community Risk Factors for Substance Abuse in Inner-City Adolescents for the Detroit Bureau of Substance Abuse, Detroit, MI.
- Case, Patricia and Linda Herskovitz. 2000 Health Behavioral Risk Factor Assessment for St. Clair County, MI. for the Comprehensive Community Health Models of St Clair County, St Clair County Health Department, Michigan.
- Case, Patricia 1999 Assessment of services to a Zero to Three population. for the Skillman Foundation, Detroit, MI
- Case, Patricia, Leah Jacobs and Lyke Thompson. 1999 Early On/Part C Evaluation in Michigan: Site Visit Staff Survey Report. for the Michigan Department of Education.
- Alcock, H., Colleen Carlin, Patricia Case and Lyke Thompson. 1999 Early On/Part C Evaluation in Michigan: Family Survey Report. for the Michigan Department of Education.
- Case, Patricia. Exploring the Social Costs of Cancer. DeArce Medical Research Grant. University of Toledo. ($10,500).
- Case, Patricia and David Fasenfest. Community Demographics; Minority Prisoners and Funding Opportunities. Urban Affairs Center, University of Toledo Professional Development Grant. ($3000)
- Case, Patricia. Professional Development Incentive Program award. ($3,000)
- Case, Patricia and Linda Herskovitz. Healthy Environment Partnership Survey. Partnership with Amy Schultz at University of Michigan, funded by NIMH. ($264,447)
- Case, Patricia. Department of Pathology Employee Satisfaction Survey. Wayne State University. "$6,689.84"
- Case, Patricia. Detroit Medical Center Employee Satisfaction Survey. Detroit Medical Center (DMC) $23,700.00.
- Case, Patricia. Community Foundation For SE Mi Database Project. Community Foundation for Southeastern Michigan. $3,830.00
- Case, Patricia. Zero to Three Data Base – Skillman Center. Wayne State University. $7,803.62.
- Case, Patricia. The Impact of Junior Achievement on Economic Knowledge of Detroit High School Students. Junior Achievement of Southeastern Michigan. $26,467.58.
- Case, Patricia. Breast Cancer Study Data Processing. College of Urban, Labor and Metropolitan Affairs. $671.00
- Fasenfest, David, Patricia Case and Linda Herskovitz. St. Clair County Community Health Assessment. Comprehensive Health Care Models of St. Clair County. $46,086.
Conference Paper Presentations
- Ideas, Power and the Ruling Class: A Marxian Analysis of Public Health Policy. Society of Public Administration annual meeting, Washington DC, March 16, 2003.
- Gender And Ethnic Differences In Opportunities Following Release From Prison. American Sociological Association Annual meeting, Chicago, IL. August, 2002.
- Marital Quality Following Traumatic Illness: A Study of Bone Marrow Transplant Survivors. American Sociological Association Annual meeting, Chicago, IL. August, 2002.
- Examining the Health Care Needs of Inner City Sex Workers: A Forgotten Population. North Central Sociologists Association Annual meeting, Windsor, Canada. April, 2002.
- The Impact of Prisoner Education on Reducing Recidivism Rates. North Central Sociologists Association Annual meeting, Windsor, Canada. April, 2002
- The “norming” of drug use: The impact of community on adolescents”. North Central Sociologists Association Annual meeting, Windsor, Canada. April, 2002.
- “Factors affecting self-perceived quality of life of long term survivors of bone marrow transplantation”. 1997 Annual Conference of the Michigan Sociological Association, Grand Rapids, MI. October 25, 1997
- Discussant: Health problems and needs of marginalized groups. NCSA, April 2002
- Discussant: Social interventions and criminal behavior. NCSA, April 2002.
- “Increasing employee job satisfaction and retention.” The Detroit Medical Center University Laboratories. July 2001.
- “The impact of gender on the quality of life of bone marrow transplant patients.” Wayne State University, Women’s Studies Lecture Series. December 1999.
- “The effect of bone marrow transplantation on the long term quality of life of cancer patients”. Harper Hospital, The Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, MI. June 1995
- Critical Sociology
- AIDS and Behavior
- “Breaking through the glass-ceiling.” Guest speaker; Dominican High School Student Assembly. Detroit, MI, March 2000.
- “Addressing faculty and student diversity issues in a newly integrated environment.” Conference speaker and moderator. Dominican High School. Detroit, MI. January 2000.
- American Sociological Association
- Michigan Sociological Association
- North Central Sociological Association