6200 Bayshore Rd.
Welcome to the LEC
- Lake Erie Center Home
- Upcoming Events
- Faculty, Staff & Students
- LEC Job Openings
- Algal Bloom Updates
- News & Reports
- Education & Outreach
- NEW Summer Courses (Apply Now)
- NSF REU Program (Apply Now)
- LEC Art Contest
- Prospective Students
- FOLEC (Friends of the LEC)
- Sigma Xi
- LEC Photo Contest
- NSF GK-12 Program
- Maps and Directions
- Contact Us
- View the Winter/Spring 2015
- View our recent press releases
- Lake Erie Center Weather Station
- View streaming video from our recent public lectures
- Learn about our Environmental Sensor Network
- Wetlands Restoration Project
- UT Water Task Force
- 2015 LEC Summer Courses
6200 Bayshore Rd.
Oregon, OH 43616
- Lake Erie Center Public Lecture: Dr. John Lekki, NASA Glenn Research Center, "Airborne monitoring of Harmful Algal
Blooms from 20,000 feet". Thursday, November 15, 2012, 7:00 pm. Lake Erie Center, room 155.
- Sustainable U Conference,Thursday, November 1, 2012, 9 am - 3 pm, at the University of Toledo Student Union, rooms 2591 and 2592. For more information,
- Twelfth Annual Great Lakes Water Conference,Friday, November 2, 2012, 8 am - 4 pm. At the University of Toledo College of Law. For more information, click here.
- GreenTown Toledo Conference, Friday, October 26, 2012. At the SeaGate Centre in downtown Toledo.
- Department of Environmental Sciences Seminar Series: Dr. Kenneth Frank, Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Bedford Institute
of Oceanography, Ocean Sciences Division, Dartmouth, NS, and Adjunct Professor at
Dalhousie University in Halifax. "Processes structuring aquatic ecosystems: from Arbor
Pond to the Atlantic Ocean". Joint seminar with the Department of Biology. Friday,
October 12, 2012, 4 pm. UT main campus, BO 1045.
- Lake Erie Center Public Lecture: Dr. Ronald Oldfield, Case Western Reserve University. "Back from the brink: Understanding
how environment affects behavior, aids recovery of Ohio brook trout". Thursday, October 11, 2012, 7:00 pm. Lake Erie Center, room 155.
- Coastweeks Event: Bayshore Cleanup. Wednesday, September 26, 2012, 10 am - noon. Meet in the LEC lobby. We will be picking up trash along Bayshore Road and Lake Erie.
Pizza lunch will be provided following the cleanup. Coastweeks, a celebration of our
waters and shores, is sponsored in part by the Ohio Lake Erie Commission.
- Lake Erie Center Public Lecture: Dr. Patrick Kocovsky, USGS Lake Erie Biological Station, "Are Lake Erie habitats
suitable for Asian carp?" Thursday, September 13, 2012, 7:00 pm. Lake Erie Center, room 155.
- Naturalist Night with Jackie Riley. Topic: Butterflies of NW Ohio. Talk will be followed by an outdoor field session.
Fun for all ages! Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 6:30 pm. Lake Erie Center, room 155.
- Nature Photography Workshop with Brian Zwiebel (http://www.brianzwiebelphotography.com). For all ages and skill levels. Indoor talk will be followed by an outdoor field
session. Bring your camera -- all types of equipment welcome! Tuesday, August 14, 2012, 6:30 pm.
- Barefoot at the Beach, cleanup at Maumee Bay State Park with Barefoot Wine and the Alliance for the Great Lakes. Friday, August 3, 2012,
4 pm - 6 pm. After the cleanup Barefoot Wine & Bubbly will host a celebration for
volunteers 21 and older that participate in the cleanup.
- M.S. Thesis Defense, Mark DuFour (advisor: Dr. Christine Mayer), Quantification of variability, abundance,
and mortality in the Maumee River larval walleye (Sander vitreus) using Bayesian hierarchical models. Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 10 am. LEC Room 155.
- Naturalist Night with Todd Crail. Fishes of the western basin (for all ages!). Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 7:00 pm, at Maumee Bay State Park.
- Nature of Maumee Bay Summer Science Camp for Kids: One-week summer program featuring laboratory exercises, art, and outdoor activities,
for entering 4th and 5th grade students. July 9 - 13, 9 am - 12 pm each day.
- Nature of Maumee Bay Art Contest Awards:Monday, June 11, 2012, 6 pm.
- Naturalist Night with the Toledo Zoo! Topic: Endangered Species -- with live animals! Fun for the whole family. Refreshments
and coloring activities provided. Monday, June 11, 2012, 6:30 pm.
- Ph.D. Dissertation Defense: Todd Crail (advisor: Dr. Jon Bossenbroek), The ecological niche of darters (Pisces:Percidae)
across multiple scales in the Ohio River Basin.
- Regional Event - Biggest Week in American Birding. May 4 - 13, 2012; various locations in the Oregon, Ohio area.Visit the Biggest Week website for details and registration information. Special tour of the Lake Erie Center offered Wednesday, May 9, 2012, at 10 am!
- Nature of Maumee Bay Art Contest entries due: Deadline extended to April 27, 2012. All ages and skill levels welcome; 2D and 3D art accepted. Prizes awarded in multipe
age categories! Click here for more details.
- DES Seminar: John Dettmers, Senior Fishery Biologist, Great Lakes Fishery Commission, "Fishery
Management and Policy in the Great Lakes." Friday, April 27, 2012, 4 pm. UT Main Campus, BO1045.
- Lake Erie Center, GK-12 Poster Gala: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 6-8:00 pm. Showcasing research projects of area high school students. Contact email@example.com for more information. Click here to register.
- Public Lecture Series: Dr. Scott Heckathorn, Associate Professor, University of Toledo. "Plants, temperature
stress, and global environmental change." Thursday, April 19, 2012, 7:00 pm. LEC room 155.
- DES Seminar: Paul Seelbach, USGS Great Lakes Science Center, "Helping build Coastal Ecosystems
Science for the Great Lakes." Friday, April 20, 2012, 4 pm. UT Main Campus, BO1045.
- DES Seminar: Craig Stow, NOAA-GLERL, "Saginaw Bay: Mussels and Microcystis and Muck, Oh My!" Friday, April 13, 2012, 4 pm. UT Main Campus, BO1045.
- The Great Glass City Clean-up, Saturday, April 14, 2012, 2:00 - 5:00 pm. For information about the event and details on how to participate, click here.
- M.S. Thesis Defense: Sarah Panek, The ecology of the nuisance cyanobacterium, Lyngbya wollei, in the Western Basin of Lake Erie. Thursday, March 29, 2012, 10 am, Wolfe Hall 1269.
- Public Lecture Series: Joseph Lucente, Assistant Professor and Extension Educator, Ohio State University
and Ohio Sea Grant College Program. "Building Sustainable Communities in the Lake
Erie Watershed." Thursday, March 22, 2012, 7:00 pm. LEC room 155.
- Public Lecture Series: Dr. Von Sigler, Associate Professor, University of Toledo. "Agricultural application
of municipal biosolids: what is the connection to environmental pollution?" Thursday, February 16, 2012, 7:00 pm. LEC room 155.
- Public Lecture Series: Dr. G. Allen Burton, Jr., Director, Cooperative Institute for Limnology & Ecosystems Research, and Professor, School of Natural Resources & Environment & Geological Sciences, University of Michigan. "Why we are failing to manage water quality." Thursday, January 19, 2012, 7:00 pm. LEC room 155.