- About the College of Nursing
- Assessment Plan
- Community of Nurse Preceptors
- Continuing Nursing Education
- Dean's Welcome Message
- Information Sessions
- News and Upcoming Events
- Nursing Lab and Simulation Center
- Nursing LEADS Newsletter
- Nursing Research & Evaluation
- Pre-Nursing Student Organization
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- Student Nursing Association
- Ways to give to the College of Nursing
Health Science Campus
Collier Building, RM 4405
3000 Arlington Ave
Toledo, OH 43614
Mail Stop 1026
Student Services: 419.383.5810
Undergrad Advisor: 419.530.2673
Graduate Advisor: 419.383.5841
Master of Science in Nursing Graduate-Entry Clinical Nurse Leader Program
ATTENTION GRADUATE NURSING APPLICANTS:
All graduate application materials are submitted through the Nursing Centralized Application Service (NursingCAS) https://portal.nursingcas.org. A supplemental application is also required and can be found at http://apply.utoledo.edu. Program admission cycle information posted at http://www.utoledo.edu//nursing/grad_checklist.html.
Preparing clinical nurse leaders for today's complex health care delivery systems the Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) program at The University of Toledo is ideal for the goal-directed person who seeks a career as a professional registered nurse in the dynamic field of health care. It is designed for the person who holds a bachelor's degree, who is not yet a registered nurse (RN), but who desires to become a RN. Graduates of baccalaureate programs as diverse as mechanical engineering, biology, or music are welcome to apply.
The curriculum includes theory classes prepared by the graduate faculty of The University of Toledo (UT) College of Nursing, as well as clinical experiences with patients in state-of-the-art health care facilities. Graduates are prepared as Clinical Nurse Leaders who are nurse generalists.
Upon successful completion of the two-year, full-time Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Program of study, graduates are prepared to apply for a license as a registered nurse and to take the National Council Licensing Exam-Registered Nurse (NCLEX-RN). More information about licensure is available through the Ohio Board of Nursing website (www.nursing.ohio.gov).
This master's program positions graduates for immediate entry into exciting positions in hospitals or clinics, and also provides an opportunity to continue graduate study. Graduates may elect to pursue a certificate to enter advanced practice roles as a nurse practitioner or clinical nurse specialist, or they may decide to pursue a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree or the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree.
|Semester I - Fall (120 Total clinical hours)|
|Course #||Course Title||Credit|
|NURS5040||Health Assessment and the Nursing Process for Promoting Health||
|NURS5050||Health Sciences I||
|NURS5060||Professional Socialization I||
|NURS5070||Therapeutic Communication Skills for Nurses||
|Semester II - Spring (90 Total clinical hours)|
|NURS5140||Designing Nursing Systems to Promote Self-Care||
|NURS5250||Health Sciences II||
|NURS5160||Professional Socialization II||
|Semester III - Summer (120 Total clinical hours)|
|NURS5240||Designing Nursing Systems for Compromised Health States||
|INDI6000||Introduction to Biostatistical Methods||
|Semester IV - Fall (120 Total clinical hours)|
|NURS5440||Population Focused Nursing Care||
Advanced Communication Skills and Group Dynamics
|NURS5910||Advanced Nursing Research||
|Semester V - Spring (300 Total clinical hours)|
|NURS5540||Advanced Practicum in Nursing Systems Design||
|NURSXXXX||Thesis, Comprehensive Exam or Field Experience||
Total Semester Credits 66
NOTE: Due to the limited number of positions available, each CNL applicant offered admission will submit a $300 reservation deposit along with their letter of intent to attend The University of Toledo within two weeks following notification of admission. This fee is refundable up to June 1st. This deposit then will be applied to the individual's fall semester tuition.
Students are admitted to the Master of Science in Nursing Graduate-Entry Clinical
Nurse Leader program in the Fall Semester only.
- Baccalaureate from an accredited college/university.
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher in undergraduate work. Please send all official college/university transcripts including post secondary course work.
- Competitive Graduate Record Examination (GRE) results
- The University of Toledo Health Science Campus Code: #1845
- GRE must be taken within past 5 years
- Also required of international applicants
- The TOEFL* or IELTS* are required for international applicants. (must be taken within
past 2 years)
*Minimum required test scores: http://www.utoledo.edu/graduate/prospectivestudents/admission/guidelines.html
- Computer competency that includes word processing skills and ability to communicate electronically.
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (6 semester hours). Must earn a "B" or better.
- Psychology (3 semester hours).
- Social Science elective (3 semester hours).
- Personal statement describing career goals, future plans for employment and expectations for graduate study.
- Current resume.
- Two College of Nursing recommendation forms completed by professional sources.
- Interview, if requested.
- All CNL students will be full time graduate students. Admission is competitive.
- Students are required to authorize The University of Toledo to obtain criminal record checks (BCII and FBI) and are responsible for fingerprinting expenses. Students must declare and document misdemeanor and/or felony offenses that occur prior to admission to the nursing program and/or during program progression. In compliance with Ohio revised Code 4723-7 convictions will result in denial of admission to the program or dismissal after matriculation..
All official college/university transcripts and official GRE and TOEFL or IELTS results must be sent directly from the respective college/university and GRE and TOEFL or IELTS organization to the College of Graduate Studies, The University of Toledo.
Recommendation Form (PDF)