- Student Services Home
- Academic Terminology
- Advisers and Office Hours
- Advising Syllabi
- College Forms and Worksheets
- Current Student Profiles
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Pre-Professional Programs
- Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC)
- Advising Times Newsletter
- Guide to Student Services
- Office of Study Abroad
- Scholarships in the Tri-Colleges
- Research Opportunities
- Student Organizations
- Career Services
- Office of Accessibility
- Writing Center
- Learning Enhancement Center
- Math Placement Info
- Chemistry Placement Info
- University Catalog
Mail Stop 906
Third Floor Rms 3000 and 3160
UTplacement tests and/or ACT and SAT scores are used to determine if students have
the necessary academic preparation for courses in composition,
mathematics, chemistry, and foreign languages. You may need to take placement tests
before registering for classes if any of the following
criteria apply to you:
New Adult and Direct from High School Students
- You did not take the ACT or SAT test, or your scores are not high enough to determine placement in composition and mathematics.
- Your UT major requires calculus.
- Your UT major requires chemistry and you took chemistry in high school.
- You took a foreign language in high school and plan to use the same language to satisfy the College of Arts and Sciences Foreign Language requirement.
- You did not take college-level composition or mathematics at your previous institution, or UT did not accept your college-level composition or mathematics.
- Your UT major requires chemistry and you did not take chemistry at your previous institution, but did take chemistry in high school.
- You are admitted to any Arts and Sciences program or are enrolled in another college's program requiring foreign language, and you took a foreign language in high school and plan to use the same language to satisfy your foreign language requirement.
Placement Test General Information
- Aplacement test can only be taken once.
- Only accepted students are eligible to take placement tests.
- Placement tests are free.
- Math, chemistry, and foreign language placement test scores are often available on the same day the test is taken.
- The English composition placement test results take three business days.
- If possible, it is recommended that new students take the necessary placement tests before meeting with an Academic Adviser in order to facilitate registering for classes.
BiologyArts and Sciences majors that require Calculus:
Pre-dental, Pre-med, Pre-vet
Environmental Science (optional)