The course examines the primary policy, legal and ethical issues facing healthcare leaders today. It places the student in a position to explore and understand the business implications of current healthcare trends in reimbursement methodologies, protected information, healthcare portability, patient privacy, advanced directives, euthanasia, anti-kickback issues, Stark Laws, Accountable Care Organizations, Meaningful Use, Patient Centered Medical Homes, EMTALA, and other relevant policy developments.
- Be aware of the major policy generating entities in the U.S.A.
- Identify the key regulatory changes afoot
- Understand and explain the business and managerial implications of healthcare policy
- Identify opportunities and threats to the healthcare business resulting from policy changes
- Develop effective business strategies that improve business performance given of healthcare policy
- The role of the Federal Government in policy making
- Reimbursement methodologies and major payers
- Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs)
- Stark Law
- Anti-Kickback regulation
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability ACT (HIPAA) and EMTALA
- Meaningful Use and Regional Health Information Exchanges (Interoperability)
- Patient Centered Medical Homes (PCMH)
- Medical Malpractice issues