- Facilities & Construction
- UT Sustainability Policy
- Student Involvement & Resources
- Faculty/Staff Resources
- Community Resources
- Meet the SEED Team
- Current SEED Projects
In the Spotlight
- New bins to be used for trash, recycling
- Iowa legislator to speak on climate change
- UT revamps Rocket Recycling program
- Students to present climate action and cost reduction plan
- UT improves in national recycling competition
- Talk on the ethics of addressing climate change
- Electronics recycling drive to be held at UT March 22
- County Sustainability Commission asking for input
- More News on SEED
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Friday Night Lights: FNL is a group of student volunteers dedicated to helping UT conserve energy by turning
off lights in academic buildings on Friday nights. In addition to helping to conserve
energy and save money, volunteers have the opportunity to earn service hours that
may be able to be applied to other groups, fraternities, sororities, etc.
- Rockets Recycle- Green Tailgating: Promote recycling at home Rocket football games in the Glass Bowl Stadium & Tailgating
Lots. Any student, faculty, or staff member that wants to volunteer can sign up by
yourself, with a friend, or with a student organization. Significant amounts of recyclables
are generated inside and outside of the stadium. Rocket Recycling wants to provide
opportunities to capture and recycle these waste streams!
- Recycling: To strengthen UT's recycling program, we rely on volunteers. Depending on the time
of year, different volunteer opportunities are available. Starting in January with
RecycleMania, volunteers can help with basketball recycling events, electronic waste
events, and others.
- Energy Conservation: At UT we take energy conservation very seriously. In order to keep our facilities
operating at our highest standard, we need help with various tasks around campus.
For example: helping with a light audit, inventorying equipment, etc.
Outdoor Classroom Garden: The UT Outdoor Classroom Garden relies on volunteers. Volunteers help with planning garden bed design, planting seeds and tending to seedlings, transplanting starts to the garden, weeding and tending garden beds, harvesting flowers and food, and in preparing the garden beds for winter plantings including cover crops and garlic.
- Sustainability Audits: In order to continually monitor our progress on a range of sustainability projects,
we undertake audits to make adjustments and improvements.
- Miscellaneous Projects: Depending on the day, SEED always has other miscellaneous projects we could use volunteers to help complete them.
- Friday Night Lights: FNL is a group of student volunteers dedicated to helping UT conserve energy by turning off lights in academic buildings on Friday nights. In addition to helping to conserve energy and save money, volunteers have the opportunity to earn service hours that may be able to be applied to other groups, fraternities, sororities, etc.
- Internship Opportunities
- Project Support
- Have a great project idea (Green Fund, Senior Design, or other) you'd like to undertake to enhance sustainability at UT?
- Submit your project idea to the SEED team and we can offer guidance and support along the way!
For more student resources click here!