UT Self Study Information
- University Mission
- University Vision
- UT Self Study Steering Committee
- UT Special Emphasis
- Criterion One
- Criterion Two
- Criterion Three
- Criterion Four
- Criterion Five
- Electronic Resource Room
- Frequently Asked Questions
- News and Media Coverage
- Third-Party Comment to HLC
Special Emphasis – A newly merged university looks to its future
Merging cultures: The University’s key stakeholders, faculty, administrators, and students want to build a more homogeneous university community by answering the following questions. How does the University move towards a shared identity that embraces its mission and strategic plan? How do the cultures of a traditional research university and a freestanding health sciences university translate into one stronger university culture?
Teaching and learning synergies: The merging of the two faculties into one faculty senate was a key step in blending the institutions. Now, addressing teaching and learning across and within campuses is under way. How does the university community move beyond conversations into greater interdisciplinary teaching and learning that advances the university’s commitment to excellence? What is the balance between quality undergraduate teaching and research for a 21st research university? How do the efforts in advancing teaching and learning support the directions set forth by the University System of Ohio?
Economic viability: State initiatives are shaping the university’s economic role within the region and beyond. How does the University balance its responsibilities to the University System of Ohio with its own mission and vision? How does the University maximize its intellectual capital as it streamlines resources, services, facilities, and personnel? How does the University foster an entrepreneurial environment that translates into new ways of teaching and learning as the institution educates Ohio’s 21st century work force.
Special Emphasis Forums
Members of The University of Toledo community are invited to attend three forums to
share their views and provide feedback for the self-study report. The University of
Toledo is preparing for its 2012 visit from The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) for
continuing accreditation. If you have questions or comments you would like to make,
please send to UT Self Study@utoledo.edu Special Emphasis: Merging Cultures
Criterion I: Mission and Integrity
Friday, Oct. 22, 2010, 9 to 11 a.m. Main Campus, Memorial Field House Room 1230
- How do we show understanding and support of the University's mission within the institution?
- How do we move toward a shared identity that embraces our mission and strategic plan?
- How do the separate cultures of each campus translate into one stronger institution?
Special Emphasis: Teaching and Learning Synergies
Criterion 3: Mission and Integrity
Criterion 4: Acquisition, Discovery and Application of Knowledge
Friday, Oct. 29, 2010, 9 to 11 a.m. Health Science Campus, Eleanor N. Dana Conference Center
- What do we intend students to know and to do, and how do we determine what they actually can know and do?
- How does the institution provide support to ensure faculty, students and staff responsibly acquire, discover and apply knowledge?
- How do we move beyond conversations into greater interdisciplinary teaching and learning?
- What is the balance between quality undergraduate teaching and research for a 21st century research university?
Special Emphasis: Economic Viability
Criterion 2: Preparing for the Future
Criterion 5: Engagement and Service
Friday, Nov. 5, 2010, 9 to 11 a.m. Main Campus, Research and Technology Comples(RI) Building Room 1010, 2600 Dorr St.
- How do all levels of planning work together toward our mission?
- How do we serve the needs and expectations of our constituencies?
- How do we balance our responsibilities with our own mission and vision?
- How do we maximize our intellectual capital while streamlining resources?
- How do we foster an entrepreneurial environment?
Dr. Dorothea Sawicki
Associate Dean, Graduate Studies, and Professor, Medical Microbiology & Immunology, College of Medicine
Mail Stop 1021
Health Education Building (HEB) 0270