Catharine S. Eberly Center for Women Advisory Board By-Laws
The University of Toledo
Catharine S. Eberly Center for Women
I. The official name will be The Catharine S. Eberly Center for Women Advisory Board.
To provide broad oversight, guidance and advice to the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs of the University of Toledo and the Director for the programming, financing, and direction of the center.
A. The Board will be composed of seventeen members, including the chair.
B. Mr. Michael Eberly or a member of the Eberly family, the Provost and a Provost designee and the Director of the Center will serve as ex-officio, non-voting members of the Board.
C. The Board members will be appointed by the Provost for Academic Affairs upon recommendation and consultation with the Board.
D. Terms will be for three (3) years with reappointment possible for one (1) additional term.
E. Terms of the constituted Board will be staggered to ensure rotation of board members.
Either the Chairperson or the Vice-Chairperson will be a member representing the community.
F. One undergraduate and one graduate student will be members of the Board. Student terms shall be one year with the option to extend their term for one additional year.
IV. OFFICERS AND DUTIES
A. Chairperson: Shall call and preside over meetings, prepare agendas and work closely with the Director of the Center.
B. Vice-Chairperson: Assumes the responsibilities of the Chair in his/her absence.
C. Secretary: Prepares and circulates minutes of the meetings.
D. The above officers are elected for a two-year term.
E. The Chair will serve in an ex-officio capacity for one year after his/her term for continuity, unless his/her term has expired.
F. Elections will be held in May every other year. If there is an open position at other times, the Board will vote on a replacement.
G. Board members who miss three board meetings in a row without explanation will lose their place on the board.
A. All members of the Board are required to serve on at least one standing committee but are entitled to serve on more than one.
B. Each committee shall consist of a minimum of three (3) Board members. Committees other than Executive may include both Board members and other members from the community and the university.
C. Standing committees will meet as needed.
D. Special Committees will meet as required.
E. The Standing Committees are as follows:
1) The Executive Committee will advise and make recommendations to the Board, and will be responsible for nominating or designating a committee to nominate new Board members. The Executive Committee shall oversee the affairs and business of the advisory board when the board is not in session, and shall, in all cases, be subject to the control and direction of the Board. This Committee will consist of the Officers and Director, the Provost and/or Provost designee (ex-officio), and one (1) member at large.
2) Scholarships and Awards – members will review new applications, nominate scholarship winners and participate in fund raising for the purpose of funding scholarships and awards.
3) Development – members will plan and coordinate fundraising efforts for the benefit of the Center.
4) External Relations – members will foster ongoing and positive relations with all levels of government and outreach to the community with a focus on promoting the goals of the Center.
5) Finance – review financial reports and budgets, and make recommendations to the Advisory Board.
F. Special Committees may be appointed by the Executive Committee as needed.
A. General Board meetings will be held bi-monthly during the months of February, April, June, August, October and December.
B. The June Board meeting will be dedicated to a retreat and planning session.
By-Laws adopted by the unanimous vote of the Advisory Board on December 2, 1996.
By-Laws amended by unanimous vote of the Advisory Board on September 13, 1999.
By-Laws amended by unanimous vote of the Advisory Board on March 3, 2003.
By-Laws amended by unanimous vote of the Advisory Board on November 5, 2007.
By-Laws amended by unanimous vote of the Advisory Board on February 8, 2008.
By-Laws amended by a majority vote of the Advisory Board on August, 26, 2008.
By-Laws amended by a majority vote of the Advisory Board on May 27, 2010.
By-Laws amended by a majority vote of the Advisory Board on October 4, 2010.