Confucius Institute at The University Toledo
- About UTCI
- Contact Us
- UTCI Staff
- Community Outreach
- Current Courses
- Primary School Partnerships
- Chinese Bridge Summer Camp for American High School Students
- HSK Test
- Chinese Language Teacher Training Workshop
- Events/ Activities
- Center for International
Studies and Programs
Explore Your World
- International Students
- Faculty & Staff
- CISP Information Session
- Request a CISP Presentation
- Global Assistance Resources
- Notary Services
- Scholarships & Travel Grant
- UT Explorers (events)
- Global Voices: International Speakers
- International Food Guide
- Rocket ReCycle
(bicycle loan program for international students)
- International Institutional Affiliations (Letter of Intent & MOU templates)
- International Admissions
- Graduate Admissions
- Student Success Resources
- Student Affairs
- Office for the Student Experience
- Honors College
In order to meet the needs of oversea students, scholars and teachers who are interested in Chinese language and literature, China philosophy and History, Confucius Institute Headquarters/Hanban (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) launches the “Confucius Institute Scholarship” program to provide financial aid for students, scholars and Chinese language teachers worldwide to proceed to a Master’s degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) in Chinese universities (hereinafter referred to as "host institutes"), or study in such majors or minors as Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy.
The scholarships are for US college students and local Chinese teachers to study in China. There are degree program and non-degree program. There is a list of Universities that US students can choose from, of which Yanshan University is a good choice for UT students. Yanshan University offers non-degree program for one year and one semester. As the partner university of UT at UTCI, students have more stronger possibility to pass the screening process and be awarded the scholarship.
On this page:
- Scholarship Coverage
- Recruitment Procedure
- Application Documents
- Entrance and Annual Approval
- Further Information
Hanban (Confucius Institute Headquarters) has launched the “Confucius Institute Scholarships” to promote international students to study in Chinese Universities. The offered scholarships in 2013 include following categories:
- Scholarships for Master Degree students in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of other languages;
- Scholarships for one-Academic year students;
- Scholarships for one-Semester students. All applicants must be non-Chinese citizens and aged between 16 and 35 (Chinese language teachers shall be aged below 45).
(1) Scholarships for Master Degree students in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of other
To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must show outstanding results relating to Chinese language or culture. E.g. Outstanding students of Confucius Institutes or Confucius Classrooms, winners of ‘Chinese Bridge’ Speech Competitions, outstanding graduates of Chinese Language across the world for taking the MTCSOL degree etc. Applicants are also required to have Bachelor degrees or its equivalent with a score of at least 180 on the new HSK test (level 5). In addition, applicants must engage in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation. This grant covers two academic years and study shall begin in autumn 2012.
(2) Scholarships for one-Academic year students
To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must show outstanding results relating to Chinese language or culture. E.g. Outstanding students of Confucius Institutes or Confucius Classrooms, winners of ‘Chinese Bridge’ Speech Competitions, outstanding Chinese language graduates and Chinese language teachers worldwide etc. Applicants are required to have completed their study at a Confucius Institute for over 120 hours or having obtained a score of at least 180 on the new HSK test (level 3). This grant covers one academic year and study shall begin in autumn 2013.
(3) Scholarships for one-Semester students
To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must show outstanding results relating to Chinese language or culture. E.g. Outstanding students of Confucius Institutes or Confucius Classrooms, winners of ‘Chinese Bridge’ Speech Competitions, outstanding Chinese language graduates and Chinese language teachers worldwide etc. . Applicants are required to have completed their study at a Confucius Institute for over 60 hours or having obtained a score of at least 120 on the new HSK test (level 2). This grant covers one semester and study shall begin in autumn 2013 or spring 2014.
This scholarship includes exemption from registration fees, tuition, fees for basic learning materials, accommodation fees on campus, a one-off resettlement subsidy provided that the applicant has not studied in China for more than half a year before being enrolled, a monthly allowance, medical service and insurance.
To meet the application requirement, students should have HSK score or be a registered Confucius Institute (CI) students. UTCI (University of Toledo Confusius Institute)can arrange Chinese placement test for those who have no HSK score and are not CI students. The placement test result released by UTCI is recognized by Yanshan University as comparable to official HSK score. Students can take some intensive Chinese languge training in UTCI by paying a minimal tuition fee.
- Applicants must create an individual account at the Confucius Institute Scholarship website and complete and submit the Confucius Institute Scholarship Application form online and submit it to their recommending institution along with other application materials.
- The Confucius Institute will assess the qualification and application materials of applicants and recommend outstanding applicants. The Confucius Institute shall send application materials of qualified applicants to the host institutes and submit a candidate name list to Hanban.
- Host institutes shall review the applications and submit the proposed enrollment name list of qualified students to Hanban.
- Hanban will organize an expert panel to make the final selection and publish the name list of successful applicants on the Scholarship website, which will be informed to applicants through recommending institutions.
- The host institutes will post “Admission Notice”, “Enrollment Instructions”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China" (JW202 Form) and other related materials to successful applicants through their recommending institutions.
- Confucius Institute Scholarship application form;
- Photocopy of passport photo page;
- Application Statement: stating applicant's Chinese language learning background, study plan and aim in China, which shall be written in Chinese and minimum 800 words;
- Photocopy of new HSK result report;
- Diploma and transcripts. Applicants shall submit notarized highest education diplomas obtained or proof of study;
- Reference letter and letter of commitment. Students attending Chinese language programs of Universities in countries with no established Confucius Institutes shall attach a reference letter signed and issued by the University President. The Master’s Degree Scholarship applicants are required to submit reference letters provided by two Professors or Associate Professors (in Chinese or English). A written commitment stating that the applicant will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation (written in Chinese and sign with signature);
- Applications under the age of 18 shall submit relevant legal documents of entrusted legal guardians in China;
- Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students in China shall submit the duplicate of scholarship certificate and reference letter provided by educational and cultural offices (sections) of Chinese Embassies (Consulates). Winners of preliminary rounds of the “Chinese Bridge” Proficiency Competitions in their countries shall provide award proof and reference letter provided by the organizers;
- Chinese language teachers shall submit the proof on number of teaching years and weekly teaching hours provided by institutes they work for.
The scholarship winners shall register at the host institutes before the deadline set by the institutes. Scholarships will not be kept for those who do not register on time without reasonable cause. Scholarships will be canceled for those who cannot pass the health examination.
Students for a Master’s degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) shall be subject to an annual appraisal organized by the host institutes in the second semester after being enrolled according to the “Annual Appraisal Procedures for Confucius Institute Scholarship”. Only the eligible students are entitled to continue to receive the Scholarships in the following year.
Confucius Institute at The University of Toledo at 419-530.7750 or ConfuciusInstitute@utoledo.edu
Division of Testing and Scholarship, Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters