UT Human Resources and Talent Development




Contact Us

Scott Park Campus
Academic Services, Suite 1000

Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Phone: 419.530.4747
Fax: 419.530.1490


UT Works - Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible to apply through UT Works?
All employees in good standing who lose their jobs through a reduction in force will be eligible to participate in the UT Works program for a period of 6 months following notification of loss of job.

Employees in good standing who lost their jobs as a result of the Spring 2009 reduction in force are eligible to participate in the UT Works program for a period of six months following notification of the program.

Employees who are reduced while within their new hire probationary period are eligible to participate.  Employees who lose their jobs due to a reduction in force while on a disciplinary probation or Performance Improvement Plan are not eligible to participate. 

I have not updated my resume or written a cover letter in years.  Is there anywhere I can get assistance?
You can get assistance at the Solving the Job Puzzle Workshops offered by the Office of Quality and Continuous Learning.  Please contact with any questions at 419-724-2592.  There are also local resume assistance resources available through The Source.  You can contact The Source at 419.213.JOBS (5627).

How do I know if the position I am interested in is grant funded?
The posting description will indicate if the position is funded with grant money.

How long after I have been separated from the University can I apply through UT Works?
You will be eligible to apply for positions through UT Works for six months after your separation date. 

I have questions about UT Works.  Who can I contact?
Please e-mail your questions to utworks@utoledo.edu or call 419-530-4747 (HRHR) and your call will be directed to the appropriate representative.

Last Updated: 6/26/15