- Risk Management
- Workers' Compensation - Main Campus
- Workers' Compensation - Health Science Campus
- Contact Us
Faculty, staff, student interns and trustees (referred to as “Covered Persons”) who travel abroad for the purpose of conducting University business or fulfilling course requirements are provided certain foreign insurance coverage and travel assistance services. Insurance coverage is provided by submitting paid expenses associated with a covered claim to the insurance company. Although a covered claim is paid retrospective, up to the limits of coverage, it is important to follow proper claims reporting at the time of the occurrence.
Foreign Travel Assistance Services are provided by Chartis Travel Guard. You should contact Travel Guard when you believe you have a situation in which you will have an insurance claim. Travel Guard can help you meet any requirements for coverage and assist in coordinating insurance benefits. Click here to go to Foreign Travel Assistance.
If you are not a Covered Person, see below for suggestions of alternative insurance that you can purchase.
Insurance Company: The Insurance Company of the State of Pennsylvania, a member company of Chartis Insurance.
General Liability: Provides coverage for an occurrence in which the Covered Person may be liable for bodily injury or property loss of another person. Excluded coverage includes but is not limited to: professional services, services furnished by healthcare providers, sexual abuse, pollutants and use of watercraft.
- $2,000,000 General Aggregate per University
- $2,000,000 Products and Completed Operations Aggregate per University
- $1,000,000 Personal and Advertising Injury Limit
- $1,000,000 Each Occurrence
- $1,000,000 Damage to Premises Rented to University
- $10,000 Medical Expenses
Excess Auto Liability: Provides coverage for bodily injury or property loss caused by an accident when the Covered Person is driving a rented vehicle in a foreign country. Excess auto liability provides coverage over or in excess of rental or any other insurance. The Covered Person driver must purchase the basic rental insurance of at least US $10,000 each person/US $20,000 each accident for bodily injury and US $10,000 each accident for property damage, or if higher, local mandated limits.
- $1,000,000 Combined Single Limit (no aggregate)
- $10,000 Medical Expenses Each Accident
Repatriation of Remains Expenses: Coverage for expenses reasonably incurred during the course of the Covered Person’s journey to return a Covered Person’s body to the their home country. All arrangements must be approved in advance by Chartis (AIG) Travel Guard (see Foreign Travel Assistance Services).
- $25,000 per Covered Person
- $100,000 maximum for all Covered Persons in one accident
Foreign Travel Accident and Sickness: Coverage for reasonable and customary charges for covered medical expenses incurred by the Covered Person which are not due to a pre-existing condition. Coverage is also available for emergency medical evacuation that has been ordered by Chartis (AIG) Travel Guard (see Foreign Travel Assistance Services) or a physician who certifies the severity or nature of the serious injury or sickness what warrants evacuation. Emergency family travel is available upon prior approval of Chartis (AIG) Travel Guard.
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment – $25,000 principle sum each Covered Person; $250,000 aggregate any one accident all Covered Persons
- Accident & Sickness Medical Expenses – $10,000 maximum each injury or sickness subject to $250 deductible per Covered Person
- Emergency Medical Evacuation – $100,000 maximum each Covered Person
- Emergency Family Travel – $100,000 maximum each emergency
- Repatriation of Remains – $25,000 each Covered Person; $250,000 maximum for all Covered Persons any one accident or sickness
Reporting a Claim:
If you suffer a loss which you believe is covered, contact the University’s foreign insurance broker:
- Karen Pathko, Marsh USA, Inc. 216-937-1364 email@example.com
- Greg Horan, Marsh USA, Inc. 216-937-1366 firstname.lastname@example.org
- If the broker is not immediately available, then contact the WorldSource Division Claims Office of the insurance company at:
ALTERNATIVE FOREIGN TRAVEL INSURANCE
If you are not covered by The University of Toledo foreign travel insurance program, there are several insurance companies that sell various types of coverage. Most applications are on-line and subscribing to insurance is quick, easy and inexpensive. The following companies are a representative list of insurance products for short term insurance coverage for individuals traveling abroad. An Internet search for international travel insurance will yield more options.
- Cultural Insurance Services International: http://www.culturalinsurance.com
- CMI Insurance: http://www.studyabroadinsurance.com
- International Medical Group: http://www.imglobal.com
- International SOS: http://www.internationalsos.com