Risk Management and Workers' Compensation



For Employees:

Through The University of Toledo's participation in the Inter-University Council Insurance Consortium (IUC-IC), UT faculty, staff, student interns and trustees (referred to as “Covered Persons”) are provided foreign travel insurance from the AIG (Insurance Company of the State of Pennsylvania). The insurance provides coverage for general liability, excess auto liability, repatriation of remains and accident/sickness when traveling outside the U.S. and Canada for the purpose of conducting University business or fulfilling internship requirements. Click here for information.

For Students:

Students are not covered by the AIG foreign travel insurance program. There are, however, a number of coverage options available to help protect the student who travels abroad. Whichever option is chosen, the student will need the following minimal foreign coverage limits before participating in a foreign educational experience:

  • $100,000 Medical Care
  • $50,000 Medical Evacuation
  • $10,000 Repatriation of Remains
  • $10,000 Accidental Death & Dismemberment.

The University of Toledo Student Health Plan provides the minimal foreign health care coverage. If enrolled in the Student Health Plan, information about the benefits and how to access coverage can be found in the Brochure and the Benefit Summary that can be accessed on the Student Health Plan website (click here).

A student may also be covered through participating in a university affiliated program that provides coverage as part of its foreign experience.

Foreign medical insurance may also be available through the student’s parent’s health insurance policy. If the student is a covered enrollee in the parent’s program, the student needs to verify coverage and make sure the minimal limits are provided.

Finally, if a student does not have any of the aforementioned sources of coverage available, then there are insurance companies that sell various types of coverage on-line and subscribing to insurance is quick, easy and inexpensive. The following companies provide acceptable short term insurance coverage for students traveling abroad.

NOTE: Global Health students are required to purchase the CMI Insurance (Plan A – Basic Plan) in addition to any other coverage they have.

Students having questions concerning UT’s requirements for foreign insurance can contact:

  • Main Campus: Julian Branch, Education Abroad Advisor, Center for International Studies and Programs, 419-530-4233, julian.branch@utoledo.edu
  • Health Science Campus: Deborah Krohn, Global Health Program Advisor, 419-530-2549, deborah.krohn@utoledo.edu


For Employees - Travel Guard: This travel assistance service is available only to Covered Persons through the AIG foreign insurance program. Click here for information regarding the services available to Covered Persons. Make sure you take the Travel Guard WorldRisk Assistance Card (click here) with you when traveling abroad.  It provides the account and contact information you will need in order to access any assistance. 

For Students who have the University of Toledo Student Health Plan: The Student Health Plan offers some assistance services for students traveling abroad.   Enrollees of the University of Toledo Student Health Plan can obtain information about the assistance services in the Health Plan Brochure that can be accessed on the Student Health Plan website (click here).

For Employees & Students - International SOS: This is an additional travel assistance service available to both Covered Persons in the AIG insurance program and all students. It does not offer nor is associated with an insurance program. Click here for the services provided by International SOS. You need to carry the International SOS Membership Card (click here) that provides the membership number and contact information you will need in order to access any assistance.  Make sure your inusrance policy does not mandate the use of a their own travel assistance service when medical services are necessary.  It is possible that using International SOS to assist in obtaining medical services, rather than using any other assistance program your insurance company mandates, may void medical coverage.  Read your medical coverage carefully and know their process of pre-arranging medical care.

Last Updated: 7/8/16