2009-2010 Sponsored Events
Contact UsPresident's Lecture Series on Diversity PLSD@utoledo.edu
- When & Where I Enter – A FORWARD To Professorship Workshop for Women of Color in STEMM (August 2011) –The University of Toledo, through its Catharine S. Eberly Center for Women, participated in an NSF-funded project to increase the representation of women of color within the professoriate. The workshop.
- Student Forum: Entrepreneurship and Economic Development featuring Dr. Timothy Bates (September 21, 2011)- This programs brought an important and trusted speaker to the UT campus to speak about diversity in business.
- HIV/AIDS Gala (December 1, 2011)- The AIDS Gala is an annual event that raise money and brings awareness to the AIDS epidemic. This year the event was a collaboration of the African Peoples Association (requester), Black Student Union, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, SNMA and SNPhA.
- MLK Unity Celebration Speaker (January 16, 2012)-PLSD sponsored the Keynote Speaker, Mr. Harold Jones, Director of the African American Civil War Freedom Foundation and Museum. He spoke to the community at the MLK Unity Celebration in Savage Arena.
- Black History Month Kick-Off (January 30, 2012)- The program included a luncheon, guest speaker, entertainment from a poet, choir, and dance group.
- Monstrous Intimacies (February 22, 2012)- Sponsorship of Dr. Christina Sharpe discussing her recent book Monstrous Intimacies: Making Post-Slavery Subjects. She spoke 3 different times on campus, PLSD funds went towards the guest lecture on February 22. More than 120 people attended.
- Undefeated Spirit Scholarship Awards Reception (April 17, 2012)- This year, the Chuck Ealey Foundation presented three inaugural $1000 scholarships; two to deserving athletes (one football, one girls’ basketball) and the last to a student-essayist whose work is judged to best exemplify an “Undefeated Spirit.” PLSD funds provided refreshments for the students and their families.
- Reel Diversity (April 18, 2012)- Sponsorship of speaker Brian C. Johnson during diversity week. He spoke about diversity on college campuses and its role in cinema. It was a required event for the Greek student population. He spoke on both Main Campus and Health Science Campus during that week.
- 10th Annual Latino Youth Summit (May 8, 2012)- An event for more than 500 Latino high school students at The University of Toledo. Students come from Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan to learn about higher education and various majors/career choices. The funds were used to pay for food for the students.