Office of Financial Aid

Categories of Financial Aid

There are two categories of financial aid at the UT Health Science Campus. It is important for students to understand the differences between the two categories because there are different application requirements for each.

UT Health Science Campus-administered financial aid

Financial aid administered by UT Health Science Campus consists of funds from private sources and some federally-sponsored programs (e.g. Federal Perkins Loan, Loans for Disadvantaged Students, Primary Care Loan and several UT Health Science Campus loan programs). The reason it is called UT Health Science Campus-administered financial aid is because UT has the responsibility to award and administer the funds made available each year by the funding source. Funding varies from year to year and, thus, the amount awarded to a student may change yearly.

Because UT Health Science Campus-administered funds are limited, these funds are awarded to students who have documented the greatest financial need according to Federal Methodology and UT Health Science Campus packaging policies as well as meeting the established deadlines. To be considered for these funds, it is the policy of UT Health Science Campus to review both the student's and his/her parents' resources to determine the financial need. In order to be considered for any funds from the Department of Health and Human Services, a student must provide parent information on the FAFSA or Renewal Application.

Outside-administered financial aid

Various loan, grant and scholarship programs that are administered by outside agencies such as banks, savings and loans, professional organizations and community groups are available to eligible medical students. It is not necessary for independent students to submit their parents' information on the FAFSA or Renewal Application to determine eligibility for these loan programs. However, most outside loan programs do require a completed financial aid application (FAFSA) prior to approving a loan.

The major outside loan programs include the Federal Stafford Student Loan Program (Subsidized or Unsubsidized) and various private alternative loan programs. The Office of Student Financial aid has information from lenders providing Stafford loans as well as alternative loans.  Other common sources of outside-administered aid include the National Health Service Corps and the Military Programs (Army, Air Force, Navy).

Last Updated: 6/5/18