Office of Student Services
Gillham Hall MS914
Toledo, OH 43606
Student Services Website
HCAR 4540, Internship In Health Care-Management (3 credit hours), allows the students to obtain practical administration experience in a hospital or other health care facility. The internship is offered to four-year curriculum health care administration majors on an "as available" basis and subject to the approval of the program director. The internship requirements for both student and preceptor are as follows.
HCAR 4540 INTERNSHIP IN HEALTH CARE-MANAGEMENT
The objective of the internship is to provide the student with practical health care administration experience.
- The student must hold senior rank prior to beginning the internship with a minimum
GPA of 2.5.
- The student should discuss interest in taking the internship with the program director
at least two to three months before the term the student wishes to take the internship.
This discussion will include parameters associated with the internship, including
those outlined below, and potential facility in which the internship might be taken.
- An interview with the preceptor at the selected facility is required prior to the
preceptor accepting the student. The agreement must be signed by the student and preceptor prior to the beginning of the internship.
- The internship is for one semester. To achieve a good learning experience, it is expected
that the student will spend at least 8 hours a week at the facility.
- The preceptor should work with the student in developing a meaningful work plan for
the student. The work plan is to be submitted to the program director not later than
two weeks from the beginning of the internship. In addition to pertinent rotations
within departments and attendance at meetings, it is expected that the student will
have an assigned project to complete. It is also expected that the preceptor will
meet with the student from time to time during the internship to discuss the student's
progress, rotations and satisfaction with the program.
- The student must keep a log of activities during the internship, a copy of which will
be submitted to the program director.
- The student is to comply with all policies of the facility in which the internship
takes place, such as demeanor and confidentiality. Any issues that may arise from
the perspective of either the preceptor or the student should be brought immediately
to the attention of the program director.
- The University is not responsible for a student's liability relative to the internship.
Students must arrange for their own liability insurance, if required (facilities often
carry liability insurance that covers students).
- The preceptor will be required to complete an evaluation of the student at least one week prior to the end of the semester. This evaluation, and the log of activities, will be major considerations in assigning the final grade. The student must also provide an evaluation of the internship.