ADMISSIONS - Doctor of Physical Therapy Program
DPT Admission Information
The University of Toledo
Doctor of Physical Therapy Program Admissions
Application to the UT DPT program occurs once per year. Applications must be made through the Physical Therapy Centralized Application System (PTCAS). ALL materials must be submitted to and be received by PTCAS on or before October 1. This is a FIRM deadline. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that individuals submitting letters of recommendation and educational institutions submit transcripts do so by the deadline.
The UT DPT program typically receives over 200 applications per admissions cycle. Approximately 80 applicants are invited to interview for the 28 positions in each entering class.
Please note that the DPT program begins in Summer Session III (June –August). A delayed start or part-time attendance is not an option for the University of Toledo DPT program.
To see the University of Toledo academic calendar for specific semester beginning and ending dates click here .
Selection Requirements for the UT DPT Program:
- Bachelor’s degree from and an accredited institution.
- Note: It is not required that the applicant has earned a bachelor's degree at the time of application to the program, but it must be earned before the student can begin the DPT program the following summer.
- Note: It is not necessary to earn an undergraduate degree in Exercise Science with a Pre-PT concentration. Although it may be more efficient to earn a degree that requires most, if not all of the program prerequisite courses, but it is not necessary. Therefore, consider earning an undergraduate degree in something that is of interest to you and/or that will provide you with employment opportunities or other graduate school options in the event you do not attend a physical therapy program. If you are interested in specializing in sports physical therapy after graduating from a DPT program, it may be advantageous to pursue an undergraduate degree in athletic training.
- Preference will be given to those who complete the majority of their coursework at and earn their bachelor degree from the University of Toledo and to those who have taken honors courses.
- Completion of all prerequisite coursework. Click here for a list of UT prerequisites and course equivalency information.
- Note: Seven out of the ten prerequisite courses MUST be completed at the time of application. Since the deadline to apply to UT's DPT Program is October 1, the 7 out of 10 prerequisite courses must be completed BEFORE fall semester.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.30.
- Minimum prerequisite GPA of 3.0.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation:
- One letter must be from a physical therapist
- One letter from a professor if you are currently a student, or from an employer if you are not currently a student
- One letter from a non-relative
- Note: If more than 3 letters of recommendation are submitted only the first 3 meeting the requirement will be considered.
- On-campus group interview
- Knowledge of the physical therapy profession
- Observation, or shadowing, of a physical therapist is highly recommended to obtain knowledge of the profession; however, there is not a minimum number of observation hours required.
- The GRE is NOT required for applicants attending universities in the U.S.
The University of Toledo participates in the Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service (PTCAS). The PTCAS application typically becomes available in early July preceding the upcoming admissions cycle. Please refer to the following guidelines when applying to the University of Toledo DPT program:
- Apply through the PTCAS website click here
- Thoroughly read all of the instructions on the PTCAS website. Please use the forms they provide for requesting and submitting transcripts and letters of recommendation. Do NOT send anything directly to the University of Toledo.
- You MUST also complete a UT DPT supplemental application and pay a fee of $45in addition to the University of Toledo supplemental question that are part of the PTCAS application. The UT DPT supplemental application can be accessed via the link provided by PTCAS or click here to complete the UT DPT supplemental application.
- The application deadline for the UT DPT program is October 1 each year. Therefore, the following must be completed by 11:59 PM on October 1:
- Submission of the PTCAS application and ALL supporting documentation including letters of recommendation and all transcripts
- Submission of the UT DPT supplemental application and the required fee
Early Decision Process:
If you are a current University of Toledo undergraduate student, click here for information about the Early Decision Policy for Admission to the UT DPT program.
Characteristics of a successful applicant:
- Strong overall GPA and prerequisite GPA
- The average overall of GPA of the students accepted into the program is 3.6
- The average prerequisite GPA of the students accepted into the program is 3.5
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Sound knowledge of the physical therapy profession and issues facing the profession
- Evidence of being a self-directed learner