- UT Library Catalog | Reserves
- Library Record (Renewals)
- Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad)
- Online Journals List
- Research Databases
...find articles and more!
- OhioLINK Homepage
Topic & Course Guides
Our chat service is unavailable at this time. Please leave a message at email@example.com or 419-530-2325.
- MLS University of Pittsburgh, 1986
- MA English Literature, Slippery Rock State College, 1978
- AB General Literature, Syracuse University, 1972
- College Librarian for the College of Education, 2006 - present
- Coordinator for College Librarians, College Librarian for the College of Education, College Librarian for Scott Park Library, University of Toledo, 2003 – 2006
- Head, Information and Instruction Services Division, University of Toledo, 2002 – 2003
- Head Librarian, Nesbitt Library, Penn State Wilkes-Barre, Lehman, PA., 1994 – 2001
- Assistant Director for Electronic Services and Reference Librarian, Friendship Library, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Madison, N.J., 1987 – 1994
- Horan, Mark and Alice Crosetto. “The Juvenile Collection in the Academic Library: Does It Belong Here?” International Journal of the Book, 4, 4, 2007: 101-107.
- Horan, Mark. "Building a Serials Check-in Datafile Using Microsoft Access 97 and Paper Check-in Principles," Serials Review, 26, 1, 2000: 22-42.
- Horan, Mark. "What Students See: Using Sketch Maps to Assess Library Knowledge." Journal of Academic Librarianship, 25, 3, May 1999: 187-201.
- Horan, Mark. "Envisioning the Internet Santa," in Proc. 53rd Annual Conference, King of Prussia, PA: Pennsylvania Association of Two Year Colleges. (1996): 47-51.
- Horan, Mark. "Resistance: How Much is Enough?" in Proc. 9th International Conference on New Information Technology Conference, Pretoria, South Africa (1996): 129-137.
- Horan, Mark, Rajinder Garcha and Alice Crosetto. Disabilities, disorders and impairments in literature for youth: A selective annotated bibliography for grades K-12. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press. In Press.
- Horan, Mark, Suhasini Kumar and John Napp. “Enhancing Library Instruction: Creating and Managing Online Interactive Library Tutorials for a Wired Generation” In Our New Public: A Changing Clientele: Bewildering Issues or New Challenges for Managing Libraries? Eds. James R. Kennedy, Gerard B. McCabe and Lisa Vardaman. Libraries Unlimited: Westport, CT. 2007.
- Islam, Ramona and others. Collaboration for Distance Learning Information Literacy Instruction. SPEC Kit 286. Washington, DC: Association of Research Libraries. 2005.
- Horan, Mark and others. “Trends in Distant Library Services.” In ACRL 2000 Academic Library Trends & Statistics. Edited by Hugh Thompson. Chicago, IL: Association of College and Research Libraries. Statistics compiled by University of Virginia, Blackburg, Va. 2001. (Competitive Selection).
Contributions to annotated bibliography:
- Horan, Mark. “Thirteen annotations in Chapter 5, Electronic Resources and eight annotations in Chapter 11, User Studies.” In Bibliography of Distance Learning Library Services. 4th Edition. Edited by Alexander Slade. . Available online: http://uviclib.uvic.ca/dls/bibliography4.html Accessed: June 20, 2003.
- Horan, Mark. “Eight annotations.” In Association of College and Research Libraries Distance Learning Section Bibliography. Edited by Nicole Cooke and others. (Forthcoming)
- Garcha, Rajinder and Patricia Russell. Islam: an annotated bibliography of resources for pre-K-12. New York: Greenwood Press. 2006. (Indexing and cover photograph.)
- Crosetto, Alice and Mark Horan. "Why An Award of Our Own? How Immigrant Images and Representations in Caldecott and Newbery Awards Lead to the Creation of Ethnic Book Awards." Thirty-fourth Annual Conference of the Children’s Literature Association. Newport News, VA. June 14-16, 2007.
- Horan, Mark and Alice Crosetto. “The Juvenile Collection in the Academic Library: Does It Belong Here.” Fourth International Conference on the Book. Emerson College, Boston MA. 20-22 October 2006. (Virtual)
- Crosetto, Alice and Mark Horan. “Why is the Very Hungry Caterpillar in Academic Libraries?” Art of the Picture Book Conference. Ashland University. Ashland, OH. May 12, 2006.
- Crosetto, Alice, Mark Horan and Rajinder Garcha. Religious Resources: Print and Online, Part 2: Hinduism, Buddhism and Sikism. OhioNet Continuing Education Workshop. Columbus, Ohio. April 27, 2006.
- Horan, Mark. “The Role of Trust and Care in Collaboration…” American Library Association. Association of College and Research Libraries. Alliances for New Directions in Teaching/Learning Discussion Group. Mid-Winter Conference. San Antonio, TX. January 21, 2006.
- Horan, Mark. “Where are We Now?: Developing an Approach to Evaluating Collaboration.” American Library Association. Association of College and Research Libraries. Alliances for New Directions in Teaching/Learning Discussion Group. Mid-Winter Conference. Boston, MA. January 16, 2005
- Horan, Mark and John Napp. “Plagiarism: Librarian in the Middle.” Academic Library Association of Ohio. Annual Conference. November 12, 2004.
- Horan, Mark and Marcia K. Suter. “Positioning the Library Across Campus.” Academic Library Association of Ohio. Annual Conference. November 12, 2004.
- Grant from UT Center for Learning and Technology to conduct focus groups testing a tutorial aimed at Composition I and II students. Awarded 2004 and completed September 2005. ($500.00)
- Horan, Mark (contributing author) and Patricia G. Cole. Penn State Center for Learning and Technology Project Empower grant. Equipment grant. Fall 1997.
University & Library Service
- Member, Faculty Senate. Elected for 3 year term, re-elected for new merged Senate (term ending Spring 2011), Fall 2006 -
- Member, Faculty Senate Academic Regulations Committee. Fall 2002 – Summer 2004; Fall 2005 – Summer 2008
- Presenter. New Employee Orientation. September 2005 – September 2006.
- Dealer, Carter Hall Charity Poker Tournament. February 26, 2005.
- Volunteer, University of Toledo Family Giving. Spring 2002; Spring 2003.
- Volunteer, University United Way Campaign. Summer and Fall 2002.
- Co-chaired workshop on plagiarism in conjunction with the Center for Teaching and Learning and the Writing Across the Curriculum Center.
- Chair, (appointed) Information Resources Committee of the College of Education. 2005 -
- Member (elected), Faculty Continuing Education Committee. July 2002-June 2005.
- Member (elected), Faculty Affairs Committee. 2003-2004; 2008 - .
- Member (appointed), Information Literacy Committee. January 2004-
- Member, University Libraries Strategic Planning Committee. Attended and participated in regularly scheduled meeting since May 2002. Acted as Chair for the Information Literacy Subcommittee.
- Volunteer, Rocketfest. August 24, 2002. Wrote a pamphlet for distribution, entitled “Information Literacy for the College Bound…What Your Children Should Know Before College.”
- Member, Carlson Library Collection Development Committee. October 2002 –
- Member, Carlson Library Signage Committee. October 2002 - May 2003.
- Local host, “Characteristics of Programs of Information Literacy that Illustrate Best Practices”, presented by Information Literacy Institute and Technology for Learning and Teaching Group Webcast. December 10, 2002. Three hours included a conference call for planning and advertising and setup.
- Arab-American National Museum National. Book Awards Committee (founding member). 2005 – present.
- Islamic Center of Greater Toledo. Library. Automation project. Consultant. February 2005 – present.
Professional Memberships, Awards, and Distinctions
- American Library Association.
- Association of College and Research Libraries.
- Alliances for New Directions in Teaching and Learning. Discussion Group. Discussion Group Leader. 1998-2008.
- Extended Campus Library Services Section.
- Committee on Research, member, 1996-1998.
- Joint Committee on Research and Statistics, 1996-1997.
- Distance Learning Section.
- Statistics Committee. 1998-2003. (chair, 1999-2003)
- Instruction Committee, 2003-2007.
- Awards Committee, 2007-(expires 2009.)
- Library Instruction Roundtable
- Liaison Committee, 1999-2001.
- Education and Behavioral Sciences Section, 2003-present.
- Academic Libraries Association of Ohio. Member. 2002–present.