- Economics Home: Welcome Note from our Chair
- In the News
- Current Course Offerings and Tutoring Hours
- Undergraduate Programs
- Graduate Programs
- Faculty & Secretary
- Emeritus Faculty
Professor Kristen Keith is the recipent of the "Outstanding Advisor Award"
Congratulations to our undergraduate advisor, Professor Kristen Keith, for receiving the 2013 UT "Outstanding Advisor Award". More information is provided on page 8 of the April 29, 2013 UT News:
Dr. Kristen Keith, associate professor of economics and undergraduate adviser for the Department of Economics in the College of Languages, Literature and Social Sciences. She joined the University as an assistant professor in 1994.
"Her availability, commitment and care toward her students have contributed to my success at UT. Dr. Keith always executes professionalism, respect and dedication toward her students. She is approachable, understanding and knows her facts," one nominator wrote. "Dr. Keith has helped me overcome my math fears while helping my analytical skills grow stronger." Another wrote, "Her open-door policy, upbeat personality and nurturing attitude have made my experience at UT rewarding and academically fulfilling. Because of her caring attitude, Dr. Keith forms long-lasting academic relationships; past students regularly stop by her office."
Economics Undergraduate Student, Roseyln Muniz, Creates a News Video Project for the Course Economics of Gender:
Roseyln is a double major in Economics and Communication.
Economics Undergraduate Students Honored
Two economics undergraduate majors graduated this spring with honors: Anthony Russo, summa cum laude, and Constantine Konstandas, magna cum laude. Also, Anthony Russo received the additional honor for Outstanding Student in the Department of Economics. Anthony will be attending Kent State University in its public policy Ph.D. program and Constantine will be attending the University of Toledo master's in economics program. Congratulations to all!
Department Seminar Series 2012
The University of Toledo Economics Department Seminar Series includes presentations of research from our department faculty and invited speakers from other universities. The next seminar is Friday, November 30, 2012, 3 p.m., UH 4150: Economics Computer Lab. The presenter is Dr. Judex Hyppolite discussing his paper, "Data Finite Mixture Models and Firms' Investment under Financing Constraints.”
Faculty in the Media
- January 3, 2013, University of Toledo economics professor Dr. Gbenga Ajilore is quoted in the Toledo Blade article, "With Fiscal Cliff deal social security tax holiday to end, cutting into paychecks,": http://www.toledoblade.com/Economy/2013/01/03/With-fiscal-cliff-deal-social-Security-tax-holiday-to-end-cutting-into-paychecks.html
- Conversation with Dr. Gbenga Ajilore, associate professor of economics – Dr. Gbenga Ajilore spoke to the fact that cooperation will be needed no matter who is elected to move the economy forward and shared an anecdote about the culture shock moving from California, which had no presidential ads, and Ohio, which has had… more than that.
Oct. 2012, University of Toledo economics professor Dr. Gbenga Ajilore is quoted in the Toledo City Paper article, "The Conscientious Dollar,": http://www.toledocitypaper.com/October-Issue-2-2012/The-Conscientious-Dollar/
Oct. 2012, University of Toledo economics professor Dr. Gbenga Ajilore discusses the national debt : http://www.13abc.com/video?clipId=7865904&flvUri=&partnerclipid=&topVideoCatNo=229518&c=&autoStart=true&activePane=info&LaunchPageAdTag=homepage&clipFormat=flv
September 7, 2012, University of Toledo economics professor Dr. Gbenga Ajilore is quoted in the following news story, "Local Economist Break Down Unemployment Numbers,": http://www.northwestohio.com/news/story.aspx?id=798364#.UE3qW0RLVUA.gmail
- June 13, 2012, University of Toledo economics professor Dr. Gbenga Ajilore talks about how area companies plan to hire more workers in the 3rd quarter: http://www.northwestohio.com/news/story.aspx?id=764839#.T9iQTxfy9dM
- April 25, 2012, University of Toledo economics professor Dr. Gbenga Ajilore talks about green jobs:
- April 24, 2012, University of Toledo economics professor Dr. Gbenga Ajilore talks about upcoming tax hikes:
February, 21, 2012, University of Toledo economics Professor Dr. Gbenga Ajilore talks about high gasoline prices: http://www.northwestohio.com/news/story.aspx?id=722218#.T0Tu-ocgchA
- Your school friends influence your weight all the way into the future. In this interview Dr. Aliaksandr Amialchuk talks on ABC 13 about the paper he completed with Dr. Mir Ali, Frank Heiland, and Song Gao that is forthcoming in Applied Economics.
- Faculty Members Mir Ali and Sasha Amialchuk have a paper mentioned on the Freakonomics Blog: Guess Why Some Overweight Adolescents Don't Think They're Overweight?
- Faculty members Sasha Amialchuk and Mir Ali have another paper mentioned on the Freakonomics Blog: For White Girls, A Bigger Penalty for Being Obese
- July 31, 2011, University of Toledo economics professor Dr. Gbenga Ajilore talks about what the possibility of a U.S. default on its debt means for the average person: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=resources%2Finside_station&id=8280787
- University of Toledo economics professor Dr. Gbenga Ajilore talks about his memorable moments and changes he's seen during his first five years at the Univeristy of Toledo: http://www.utoledo.edu/serviceawards/ (Dr. Gbenga Ajilore is the second to last person and it is possible to scroll by person)
- University of Toledo associate professor of economics David Black says it could take months or more than a year before banks feel comfortable enough to lend to consumers again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXCmfmoN6ww
- University of Toledo economics professor Dr. Gbenga Ajilore talks about newly sworn in President Barack Obama's economic comments in his inaugural speech and the economic realities the country faces: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyQWzljUPdY
- University of Toledo economics professor Dr. Gbenga Ajilore discusses on The NewsHour what effect, if any, the federal government's 2008 stimulus package would have on the mid-west: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flM5iauuC30
- University of Toledo economics professor Dr. Kevin Egan is interviewed concerning green purchasing power for the second episode of "Plugged In" broadcast by WGTE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c85e_I4oWP4&feature=channel
- University of Toledo economics professor Dr. Gbenga Ajilore discusses whether the increase in Americans' savings rate is good for the economy: http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=6600283
Recent Faculty Research Activities
- Professor Mir M Ali published a paper entitled ‘The Effects of Scholarly Productivity and Institutional Characteristics on the Distribution of Federal Research Grants' (co-authored with Partha Bhattacharyya, NIH-NIA and Anthony J. Olejniczak, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology) in Journal of Higher Education, forthcoming.
- Professor Mir M Ali presented a working paper entitled ‘Adolescent Propensity to Engage in Risky Behaviors: The Role of Individual Resilience’ at the International Conference on Health Economics, Management and Policy (University of Athens, Greece, July 10th, 2008). He also presented ‘A Model of Smoking Addiction among Heterogeneous Adolescents: The Role of Individual Resilience’ at the American Public Health Association Annual Conference (October 28th, 2008).
- Professors Mir M Ali and Aliaksandr Amialchuk presented their recent working paper ‘Weight Gain and Social Network: Is There a Contagion Effect’ (co-authored with Song Gao, Central University of Finance and Economics, and Frank Heiland, Florida State University) at the International Atlantic Economic Society Annual Conference (October 12th, 2008). They are also scheduled to present this paper again at the Southern Economics Association Annual Conference (November 23rd, 2008). In addition Aliaksandr Amialchuk presented this paper at the Economics Department Seminar at University of Memphis (October 24th, 2008). Mir Ali will also be presenting this paper again in a seminar at University of Akron (November 13th, 2008).
- Professor Aliaksandr Amialchuk presented his recent working papers, "Parental Labor Supply and Overweight Children" (with Professor Kristen Keith) at Midwest Economics Association 2008 Annual Meeting, "Relative Wage Changes and Timing of Childbearing" at the Population Association of America 2008 Annual Meeting.
- Professor Gbenga Ajilore presented his research (co-authored with Professor Mir M Ali) “Can Marriage Reduce Risky Behavior for African-Americans” at the Northeast Ohio Workshop on November 1st.
- Professors Kevin Egan and Oleg Smirnov presented their paper, "Spatial Dependence in Random Utility Models with an Application to Recreation Demand," at the 2009 ASSA Meetings in San Francisco.
- Professor Kevin Egan published a paper entitled, "Valuing Water Quality as a Function of Water Quality Measures" (co-authored with Joseph Herriges, Catherine Kling, and John Downing) in the American Journal of Agricultural Economics, forthcoming.
- Professor John Murray published a book entitled, "Origins of American Health Insurance: A History of Industrial Sickness Funds," Yale Unversity Press, 2007.
For more information on faculty's current research please go to the "Faculty & Staff" link on the left, and click on the faculty member's homepage.