College of Languages, Literature and Social Sciences
Interesting News and Events Around the World
INTELLIGENCE SQUARED DEBATES: Next Live Debate Topic (10/07/14): Mass Collection Of U.S. Phone Records Violates The Fourth Amendment
Other Upcoming Debates
Past Debates (Watch at any time or just see results!)
LLSS Calendar of College Events
- Wednesday, April 1, 2015 7:00 - 8:;30 PM, Nitschke Auditorium (Main Campus)
- 2015 Iman Khattab Lecture Series in Islamic Studies - Dr, Reza Aslan - "Youth Revolt: The Future of the New Middle East". Dr. Aslan is the New York Times bestselling author of Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth. A reception in the Brady Engineering Innovation Center will follow Dr. Aslan's lecture. The event is free and open to the public. Please RSVP by March 25th to Debbie Corkins at Deborah.firstname.lastname@example.org or 419.530.4616.
- Thursday, April 2, 2015 4:00 PM, Student Union, Room 2854
- Department of Psychology Colloquium, "The Assessment of Spirituality and Religious Sentiments (ASPIRES) Scale: The Value of Spirituality for Psychology". Dr. Ralph Piedmont, Loyola University, Maryland. For more information, contact the Department of Psychology at 419.530.2717.
- Tuesday, April 7, 2015 4:30 - 6:00 PM, Student Union, Room 2582
- The Center of Middle East Studies & The Asian Studies Institute - "Islam and Muslims in Central Asia: Why Some Western Educated Muslim Youth Become Radicalized". Dr. S. Amjad Hussain, Emeritus Professor Cardiothoracic Surgery, and Dr. Gaby Semann, Director of Middle East Studies and Coordinator of the Arabic Program. For more information, contact the School of Interdisciplinary Studies at 419.530.2233.
- Tuesday, April 7, 2015 7:00 PM, Libbey Hall
- The Disabilities Program - "Crooked Lines: A Celebration of Poetry and Difference". Drs. Jim Ferris and Ally Day.
- Wednesday, April 8, 2015 3:00 - 5:00 PM, Memorial Field House
- The Center for Religious Understanding at The University of Toledo - "Holi Toledo". Celebrate the Indian holiday of Holii while learning about other religions and cultures on campus. For more information, call 419.530.8573.
- Friday, April 10, 2015 3:00 PM, 2300 Memorial Field House
- The Department of Foreign Languages Colloquium - Kimberlie Colson, "Beyond the foreign language classroom: Exploring new ways to assess our students."
- Thursday, April 16, 2015 5:30 - 7:30 PM, Student Recreation Center, Oak Room
- The Center for Religious Understanding at The University of Toledo - Screening of "Arranged". See an independent film about a friendship between an Orthodox Jewish woman and a Muslim woman both going through the process of arranged marriages. For more information, call 419.530.8573.
- Friday, April 17, 2015 1:00 - 2:30 PM, 3300 University Hall
- The College of Languages, Literature and Social Sciences - "Getting to Full Professor" Workshop. This workshop is designed for faculty in the college who have been at the associate rank for six years or more. The workshop will provide practical tips and guidelines from publication requirements to preparing a dossier for full professorship. Please RSVP to Debbie Corkins at Deborah.email@example.com.
- Friday, April 17, 2015 2:30 - 3:30 PM, 3066 Snyder Memorial
- Geography & Urban Planning Colloquium Series - Rachel Franklin, Brown University.
- Wednesday, April 22, 2015 12:30 - 1:15 PM, 2420 Memorial Field House
- The Department of Foreign Languages Colloquium - Katherine Best, "Alfred Hitchcock and World War II."
- Wednesday, April 29, 2015 7:00 - 9:00 PM, 2100 Snyder Memorial
- Geography & Urban Planning and Toledo Urban Forestry Commission - Mark Bays "Survivor Tree: The story of an American Elm in the heart of downtown Oklahoma City, the people that saved it, and the healing of a community.
- Thursday, April 30, 2015 5:30 to 7:30 PM, 1711 Health and Human Services Building
- The College of Languages, Literature and Social Sciences - "FACULTY AND STAFF AWARDS CEREMONY". At this event, we will acknowledge and celebrate the accomplishments of faculty and staff throughout the college.