Professional Science Masters Program In Biomarkers and Diagnostics
ADVANTAGES OF A PSM DEGREE
The Professional Science Master provides students advanced training in science without a Ph.D., and highly-valued business skills without an MBA. PSMs prepare students for science careers in business, government, or nonprofit organizations, where workforce needs are increasing. Programs are characterized by “science-plus,” combining rigorous study in science or mathematics with skills-based coursework in management, policy, or law. Our students have a “real-world” internship in a business or public sector enterprise, instead of the more typical thesis.
Applicants to the PSM degree with a concentration in Biomarkers and Diagnostics must meet the following requirements, in addition to those of the UTHSC Graduate School:
1. Completed online application form, and accompanying application fee. Students who have already applied to the Program can check application status online. If a student's application is incomplete, this site will indicate which documents are missing.
2. The GRE has been waived for all U.S. students who have a GPA of 3.0 or above, or for students who can submit MCAT scores of 25 or higher. For all other students the GRE requirements are as follows: Minimum GRE composite score of 300 (combined verbal and quantitative), and 3.5 (analytical). GRE scores must be current within the past five years.
3. Earned bachelor’s degree or earned graduate degree from an accredited college or university. Applicants with a degree in progress will be considered.
4. GPA of 3.0 or above (on a four-point scale) GPA of 2.5 or above may apply for provisional acceptance that would change to Regular (non-probationary) status, if their first term graduate coursework has a GPA of 3.0 or above.
5. Official transcripts for undergraduate and any graduate education.
6. Three letters of recommendation from college faculty or research supervisors
7. Resume and Statement of Purpose. Previous research experience is considered, but not required.
8. International students also will need to provide scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), (as of Fall 2014, the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is no longer accepted), unless they have already received a degree from a U.S. institution. Scores above the 50th percentile are recommended.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND here.
SELECTING AN INTERNSHIP
1) During the first semester, students will be required to meet with Dr. Keith Crist to identify specific areas of interest and make contact with sponsoring companies. Selection of an internship project should be completed early in the second semester.
REQUIRED FORMS for current Graduate Students: (click form name to access)
1) Partially completed Plan of Study form for the PSM is required to be submitted BEFORE the student completes 12 credit hours (during the Fall 1 term).
COURSE SCHEDULE BY SEMESTER
Students are likely to have diverse backgrounds, the curriculum is designed to give all students a foundation appropriate to entry into a pharmaceutical research program.
Biomarkers & Diagnostics Program
Keith A Crist, Ph.D.