Information for Prospective Students in the BPG Program
Note: Previous research experience is recommended but not required. Current MD students applying to the MD/MSBS program must have no grade below “Pass” in the medical courses, and must have an endorsing letter from the Associate Dean for Student Affairs.
SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES FOR OHIO RESIDENTS
Choose Ohio First Scholarships in Bioinformatics are available to students who are legal residents of the State of Ohio.
Students must apply to the two-year, tuition-only scholarship. For complete details and instructions, please click here.
Earn a Bachelors Degree in Biological Sciences and a Masters Degree in Bioinformatics in 5.5 years.
MSBS PROGRAM - Admission Requirements
Applicants to the MSBS Program with a concentration in Bioinformatics, Proteomics and Genomics, must meet the following
1. Earned bachelor's degree or graduate degree from an accredited college or university.
2. Students with a GPA under 3.0, but at or above 2.5, may apply for conditional acceptance that would change to Regular (non-probationary) status, if their first term graduate coursework has a GPA of 3.0 or above.
3. The GRE has been waived for all U.S. students with a GPA of 3.0 or higher, or have MCAT scores of 25 or higher. For all other students the following is required: Minimum composite score of 300 (combined verbal and quantitative) and 3.5 (analytical).
4. Official transcripts for undergraduate and any graduate education.
5. Three letters of recommendation from college faculty or research supervisors.
6. Completed online application form (please see link below), and accompanying application fee.
(URL for online application is: https://apply.utoledo.edu/) *
7. TOEFL scores for applicants whose native language is not English. We require a score of 550 or higher for the paper-administered version, 213 or higher for the computer-administered version, and 80 or higher for the Internet-administered version. IELTS scores (6.5 or higher) are accepted in place of TOEFL. However, as of Spring 2014 admissions, IELTS will no longer be accepted.
Click here to view Master's degree courses (fully-formatted PDF version) OR click this link for HTML version
* Students who have already applied to the Program can check their application status online at this link http://application.utoledo.edu. If a student's application is incomplete, this site will indicate which documents are missing
Information for INTERNATIONAL students can be found at this Graduate School link: http://www.utoledo.edu/graduate/prospectivestudents/admission/guidelines.html
CERTIFICATE PROGRAM - Admission Requirements
For students not currently enrolled in a UT doctoral program, the same requirements apply as those for the MSBS Program. Students currently enrolled in the UT Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences or MSBS Programs may take individual Certificate courses as electives, with permission of the instructor. Application MUST be filed online only for those seeking a Certificate in Bioinformatics and Biomarkers, and must have the following:
- Good standing in the current degree program
- Letter of request for admittance into the program
- Permission/recommendation of major advisor
- Completed online application form (please see link below). URL for online application is: https://apply.utoledo.edu/.
Click here to view Certificate Program courses (HTML format)
|-||A grade of "B" or higher in didactic courses, including electives|
|-||Selection of major advisor by the end of the 1st semester|
|-||Selection of an advisory committee by the end of the 2nd semester|
|-||Independent research project|
|-||Dissertation and successful defense|
ADDITIONAL OPPORTUNITIES IN BIOINFORMATICS:
The fields of bioinformatics, proteomics and genomics are aggressively expanding. Knowledge in these areas is increasingly expected of all biomedical researchers, whether in academia, government, or the private sector. These analytical tools are being introduced into the practice of medicine, and into general biology in areas such as ecology, bioremediation, agriculture, etc. In addition, this knowledge is valuable for careers in certain areas of business, law, computer science, and mathematics.
NEW "BIOMARKERS AND DIAGNOSTICS" PROFESSIONAL SCIENCE MASTERS (PSM) DEGREE
A PSM degree in Biomarkers and Diagnostics is now available at the University of Toledo. This new and exciting graduate degree provides advanced training in science and business skills in approximately 18 months, without an MBA or PhD. Students are exposed to current, cutting edge topics, such as, genetics, molecular biology, protein structure, along with business skills and leadership development.
Click here to view UT's PSM webpage. For additional information, also see complete details in HTML format. The Professional Science Master's National website can be found here.
LINKS TO BIOINFORMATICS PhD PROGRAMS
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, Systems Biology & Bioinformatics: http://bioinformatics.case.edu/