Insummer 2006, the UT College of Medicine introduced Medstarz to undergraduate premedical students. Sponsored by the College of Medicine Admissions Office, the program exposes students to medicine and includes:
- Information on navigating the medical school application process
- An introduction to the Problem Based Learning (PBL) model
- Hands-on experience in the gross anatomy lab
- Clinical lectures on medical topics
- Diversity and cultural competency exercises
- Sessions on managing study skills
- Contact with physicians in the clinical setting
There are 15 positions available for this two-week program. Underrepresented minority
students, students from disadvantaged backgrounds, and women
are strongly encouraged to apply. Travel and housing allowances are available.
Students must apply by March 1 at http://www.utoledo.edu/med/md/admissions/medstarz.html . Decisions are announced by April 1.