- Online Application
- Council of Biomedical Graduate Students
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship
- HSC Student Affairs
- Contact Information
- College of Graduate Studies
- Graduate Student Handbook
- College of Medicine Academic/Clinical Departments
- University of Toledo Medical Center
Health Science Campus
3000 Arlington Avenue
Toledo, OH 43614
Class of 2014
In an effort to recruit top caliber students, the College of Medicine and Life Sciences offers the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship for both pre-medical and biomedical research to undergraduate students. The purpose of the program is to introduce undergraduate students to scientific research as a means of encouraging them to consider a career in medicine and biomedical research.
- Hands-on research experience
- Internationally recognized faculty
- Access to state-of-the-art research equipment
- Personal interaction with current graduate students
- Modern campus in a safe and pleasant suburban community
This fellowship includes 10 weeks of experimental study in a research laboratory or medical office/clinic. You will attend weekly seminars with medical professionals to learn about their research and how they decided on a career in medicine and or biomedical research. Each student will be given a research project and will present their findings at the end of the 10 weeks.
Twelve offers will be made, six students will be studying biomedical research and six will be studying clinical research.
This program is an important component of UT's diversity initiative and is open to all students. Underrepresented minority students, students from disadvantaged backgrounds, and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The University of Toledo believes that obtaining the benefits that flow from a diverse student body is a compelling interest for our institution. A diverse student body is important in promoting cross-cultural understanding, helps to break down stereotypes, promotes a richer classroom learning environment, and helps to develop a diverse, integrated student body that promotes leadership.
A limited number of openings are now available for the summer of 2015 on a competitive basis. Each accepted student will receive $3,500 for a 10 week period of full-time research beginning May 25-July 31, 2015. Applications are due by March 2, 2015. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance status no later than April 6, 2015. Official transcripts and two recommendation letters should be sent by March 2, 2015 to:
University of Toledo HSC
3000 Arlington Ave. Mail Stop #1010
Toledo, Ohio 43614
Application Requirements for admission include:
- Applicants must be a citizen of the United States or have a permanent resident status (permanent residency "green" card). If applying as a permanent resident, an applicant must be a permanent resident at the time of application and will be required to submit a photocopy of the front and back of their permanent resident card.
- Must be an undergraduate student during the 10 week period May 25-July 31, 2015. Highest preference for students in Junior year and/or completion of at least one year of biology and chemistry courses with labs.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate schools.
Once accepted you will undergo
- Criminal records check
- $500 will need to be paid for University housing on the main campus during your 10 weeks if you do not have alternative local housing.
- SURF student is responsible for their food
- Transportation; buses travel to and from University of Toledo main campus and the Health Science campus. If you have your own transportation free parking will be provided on both campuses (approx. 2 miles apart)
Upon arrival one week before start date of 10 week program to fulfill all pre-SURF Health Science Campus requirements
- Pre-employment health screening, including drug testing and immunization screening
- Human Resources paperwork
Information may be obtained from the office of the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship by e-mail at SURF@utoledo.edu, or by phone at 419.383.4181. Please specify the research program of interest on your application.
Online applications can be submitted using the SURF application