Master of Science in Occupational Health : Industrial Hygiene
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION
An applicant may apply and begin studies during fall, spring, or summer semester. Contact 419-383-5356 to determine deadlines for applications for each semester. Only online applications are accepted.
A. The Requirements for General Admission
1. Degree: A minimum of an earned bachelor degree from an accredited college or university is required.
2. Grade-Point Average (GPA): (1) GPA greater than or equal to 3.0/4.0 is required for "regular" status admission;
(2) GPA greater than or equal to 2.7/4.0 is required for "provisional" status. After
the completion of 12 semester credits of MSOH courses, with no grade lower than B,
the status of "provisionally" accepted student will change to "regular" status.
Students initially admitted into the program with "regular" or "provisional" admission status are required to complete the 40 semester credits curriculum.
Note: Applicants with GPA <2.70 also may be considered for admission in certain cases. They would be required to complete 12 semester credits of specified courses with all grades of no lower than a B before they are considered for acceptance into the Program, pending MSOH Admission Committee approval.
3. Foundation Courses: The following college-level foundation courses or equivalent are required for admission to the MSOH program:
- calculus (or combination of other math courses),
- inorganic chemistry,
- organic chemistry,
Alternatively and/or in addition to, equivalent credentials are considered: (1) work
experience based on applicability and duration; and, (2) applicable certifications
such as CIH and CSP.
Note: Applicants lacking one or more of these foundation courses may be considered for "provisional" admission. If provisional admission is granted, courses can be completed as part of the student's plan of study, typically within the first 12 months following matriculation.
4. Graduate Record Examination (GRE): (1) GRE is not required for any graduates from a U.S. institution if they have GPA
equal to or greater than 3.00 (on 4.00 scale); (2) GRE is optional, or may be required
by the Admission Committee, for any graduate from a U.S. institution if they have
GPA of 2.5 to <3.0 (on 4.00 scale); and, (3) GRE is typically required for applicants
who graduated from institutions other than those in the U.S. In some specific circumstances,
international students may not be required to take the GRE.
Verbal and Quantitative Acceptable GRE Scores
(1) Test taken after August 2011: greater than
or equal to 300
(2) Test taken before August 2011: greater than
or equal to 1000
ii) Analytical Writing section: greater
than or equal to 4.0
5. English Language Proficiency (TOEFL): Applicants who graduated from institutions other than those in the U.S. and whose
primary language is not English must complete the TOEFL.
(1) Greater than or equal to 550 paper based
(2) Greater than or equal to 213 computer based
(3) Greater than or equal to 79 internet based
Note: Applicants holding advanced professional or graduate degrees from accredited institutions may be exempted from this requirement. International applicants must submit TOEFL scores.
6. Official Transcripts: Applicants must have official transcripts submitted, from institutions where undergraduate
and advanced studies were completed, to the College of Graduate Studies of the University
of Toledo - Health Science Campus. For international applicants, the official transcript
must be translated into English and evaluated on a 4.00 GPA scale.
7. Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of recommendation are required. At least two of three letters must be from those having a graduate degree.
8. Resume: A copy of recent resume of the applicant must be included in the application package.
9. Statement of Purpose: An applicant must write and submit a concise Statement of Purpose stating why the applicant wants to pursue the Master of Science in Occupational Health (MSOH) degree - Industrial Hygiene program.The statement is uploaded with other admissions documents.
B. The Admission Criteria for "Special Student" Status: An applicant that is either a graduate student at another institution, a student not in the College of Graduate Studies at the University of Toledo - Health Science Campus, and/or professional may be admitted to take certain courses.