Student Services

How do I attend another school as a guest or transient student?

After checking important details like the application process, financial considerations, school calendar, etc., complete as directed the "Transient Student Advance Approval" form at  The form requires the assistant dean's signature.  It also requires your adviser's signature if you intend to take courses in your major program.  The form must be submitted to the College of Arts and Sciences Student Services Office (UH 3000) and your courses must be approved in advance of your enrollment elsewhere as a guest.  This important step assures you that your courses will apply to your UT program or serve as prerequisites, and it helps you avoid having to reapply as a transfer readmit upon your return to UT.

Check the UT "Transfer Course Equivalency Guides" at to see if the course(s) you intend to take have already been equated to UT courses.  If not, provide course descriptions for review by your advisor and/or the assistant dean.  In most cases, a copy of the online course description will be adequate.  However, you may be asked to provide a syllabus as well.

Important: (1) The grades earned in courses taken at other institutions cannot be used to delete grades of UT courses from the UT transcript GPA calculation (University policy). (2) Grades in major, minor and UT Core courses taken at other institutions will be used in the calculations of GPA's in those requirement categories (Arts and Sciences policy). 

Last Updated: 6/9/16