Student Services

Transfer and Transient Students

Making the decision to transfer to the University of Toledo

- Research the many departments to determine if you are interested in particular majors and programs.

- Visit to evaluate how your previous coursework will transfer.  Instructions for

- Review the Transfer Guide for Policies and Procedures.

- Make a Prospective Student appointment with the transfer adviser (419-530-2671).

The Transfer Process

  1. Apply to UT

  2. After Acceptance, complete on-line orientation

  3. Take placement tests (if necessary).

  4. Make an Advising Appointment with the Tri-College Student Services Transfer Adviser by calling 419-530-2671.

Advising Appointment

  1. Print and prepare the Transfer Student Appointment Preparation & Advising Sheet.
  2. Bring Transfer Student Appointment Preparation & Advising Sheet to your appointment. Bring unofficial transcripts and, if directed, course syllabi.
  3. Call if you cannot keep your appointment.
  4. Follow up on referrals to college faculty for course evaluations.  Take syllabi. 

How do I, a UT student, attend another school as a guest or transient student?

  1. Check important details like the application process, financial considerations, school calendar, and any other details that pertain.
  2. Complete Transient Student Advance Approval form. The form requires the Tri-College Student Services assistant dean's or college staff adviser's signature. It also requires your major adviser's signature if you intend to take courses in your major program. The form must be submitted to the Tri-College Student Services Center (UH 3000) and your courses must be approved in advance of your enrollment elsewhere as a guest. This important step assures you that your courses will apply to your UT program or serve as prerequisites, and it helps you avoid having to reapply as a transfer readmit upon your return to UT.
  3. Check the UT "Transfer Course Equivalency Guides" at to see how courses will transfer and apply to UT degrees. Instructions for
  4.  If the courses you want to take are not in the tables on, you will need to supply course description(s) for review by your adviser and/or one or more members of the faculty. In most cases, a copy of the online course description will be adequate. However, you may be asked to provide a syllabus as well.

Important: (1) The grades earned in courses taken at other institutions cannot be used to delete grades of UT courses from the UT transcript GPA calculation (University policy). (2) Grades in major, minor and UT Core courses taken at other institutions will be used in the calculations of GPA's in those requirement categories (Policy of the Colleges of Languages, Literature and Social Sciences; Natural Sciences and Mathematics; Visual and Performing Arts).


Last Updated: 6/9/16