Resources and Links
- Blackboard/WebCT Login
- College Catalog
- Career Series Bulletin
- Drug Information Resources
- Experiential Education
- Honors Program
- Library/Learning Resources
- P1 Orientation
- Research Opportunities for CPPS Students
- Student Affairs
- Student Organizations
- The Mentoring Collaborative
Main and Health Science Campuses
Wolfe Hall room 1227, Phone: 419.530.2010
Frederic and Mary Wolfe Center room 155, Phone: 419.383.1904
- Admission Guidelines
- Current Students
- Graduate Catalog
- Printable Brochure
- Graduate Studies
- Professional Organizations, Research Databases, and Granting Agencies
- Pharmaceutical Care and Outcomes Research Lab
- Department of Pharmacy Practice
- Apply through the College of Graduate Studies
Dr. Varun Vaidya
Dr. Vaidya is an Assistant Professor at The University of Toledo College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. He received his Ph.D. in Health Outcomes and Policy Research (HOPR) from the University of Tennessee in May 2009. He has also received Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Sciences degree (B.Pharm) along with the professional pharmacist licensure from India.
Dr. Vaidya’s primary research interests include health economics, health services research and comparative effectiveness. He has led several projects analyzing health and economic outcomes that are successfully completed and published in various peer reviewed journals. He has built and analyzed several public and proprietary large datasets to study different aspects such as medication taking behavior, economic impact of treatment modalities, social disparities in utilization of healthcare services. Dr. Vaidya frequently collaborates with faculty members within HOSS as well as experts outside UT to gain maximum benefits towards his research. Such collaborations often create opportunities for graduate students in the program to gain research experience in their early stages of career.
Apart from his primary interests, he has also worked in areas such as healthcare technology and electronic prescribing. He has recently been recognized as a subject matter expert at the office of the national coordinator for Health Information technology. Dr. Vaidya is actively involved in organizations such as International Society of Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) and American Pharmacist’s Association (APhA). He has regularly presented his work at their national and international meetings.
- Varun Vaidya Renuka Gupte Rajesh Balakrishnan “Failure to refill essential asthma prescription medications among pediatric Medicaid beneficiaries with persistent asthma.” Journal of Patient Preferences and Adherence Accepted Nov 2012
- Dick Gourley, Varun Vaidya, Meghan Hufstader, Ray Max “Globalized Pharmacy Education: Experience at the University of Tennessee” Accepted Sept 2012 American Journal of Pharmacy Education
- Varun Vaidya, Lucas Blazejewski, Sharrel Pinto “Implementation of Medicare Part D and statin use among the elderly population with diabetes” Journal of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research [Epub Ahead of print] 2012
- Varun Vaidya, Michael J Peeters, Gautam Partha "Evaluating Association between Type of Prescription Drug Plan and Asthma Patients’ use of Controller Medications" Journal of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research : Volume 3:2, pages 65–69, June 2012
- Songhee Hong, Liu J, Sunghee Tak, Varun Vaidya “The Impact of Patient Knowledge of Patient-Centered Medication Label Content on Quality of Life among Older Adults” Research in Social & Administrative Pharmacy 2012 May 1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Varun Vaidya, Pranav Patel “Health expenditure comparison of extended-release metoprolol succinate and immediate-release metoprolol tartarate.” Clinicoeconomics and Outcomes Research. Feb 2012 Volume 2012:4 Pages 49 – 56. PubMed abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22359463
- Varun Vaidya, Gautam Partha, Monita Karmakar, "Gender Differences in Utilization of Preventive Care Service in the United States,” Journal of Women’s Health February 2012, 21(2): Pages 140-145. PubMed abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22081983
- Varun Vaidya, Gautam Partha, Jennifer Howe “Utilization of Preventive Care Service Impacting Cardiovascular Outcomes in the United States” Risk Management and Healthcare Policy January 2011 , Volume 2011:4 Pages 1 – 7. PubMed abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22312222
- Varun Vaidya, Monica Holiday-Goodman, Sharrel Pinto “Demographic disparities in patient-reported use of inhaled corticosteroids among patients with persistent asthma.” Journal of Asthma and Allergy August 2010 , Volume 2010:3 Pages 101 – 106. PubMed abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21437044
- Varun Vaidya, Lucas Blazejewski, Gautam Partha, Pranav Patel, Sharrel Pinto “Impact on Medicare Part D on Statin Utilization in Elderly Population.”APhA Annual meeting 2011, Seattle, WA
- Varun Vaidya, Pranav Patel “Health expenditure comparison of metoprolol succinate vs metoprolol tartarate” International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research 16th Annual International Meeting, May 2011, Baltimore MD.
- Varun Vaidya, Michael Peeters, Gautam Partha, Priyanka Potnis “Effect of having a prescription drug plan on asthma patients' use of controller medications” International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research 16th Annual International Meeting, May 2011, Baltimore MD.
- Varun Vaidya, Gautam Partha, Karmakar Monita “Exploring gender disparities in preventive care utilization amongst united states population” International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research 16th Annual International Meeting, May 2011, Baltimore MD.
- Jennifer Howe, Priyanka Potnis, Varun Vaidya “ Evaluating the Impact of Physician-Provided Asthma Education on Absenteeism in Children: Using Data from the National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) “International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research 16th Annual International Meeting, May 2011, Baltimore MD.
- Meghan Hufstader, Varun Vaidya , Lavanya Sudharshan , Shelley White-Means, Sharma Gunjan, Dishmon Brooke, “What influences dental care among children?” International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research 16th Annual International Meeting, May 2011, Baltimore MD.
- Gautam Partha, Varun Vaidya, Jennifer Howe, Matthew Ferrell “Predicting Preventive Care Service Utilization In A United States Population” International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research 13th Annual European Congress October 2010 Prague, Czech Republic
- Varun Vaidya Meghan Hufstader, James Cameron, Addo-Atuah J, Warren-Blakemore C, Everett B, Jones-Rudolph K, DeWood C. “Health Policy Changes Needed as a Result of Katrina: Preparing for the Future.” Fall 2005. Health Services Research Day University of Tennessee Health Science Center.
- Varun A. Vaidya, Song-Hee Hong Ph.D. “Prescription Drug Insurance Coverage: Risk Factor for Emergency Department Visits and Over Utilization of Short Acting Bronchodilators” 2003 MEPS database Pharmaceutical Sciences World Congress, Amsterdam, Netherlands 2007.
- Varun A. Vaidya, Song-Hee Hong Ph.D. “Prescription Drug Insurance Coverage: Risk Factor for Emergency Department Visits and Over Utilization of Short Acting Bronchodilators in Asthma Patients of the United States.” 2004 MEPS database ISPOR Annual research meeting, Arlington VA. May 2007
- Varun Vaidya “Health Insurance Status and Emergency Department Utilization of Young Adults in Age Group of 19-29” Academy Health 2007, Annual meeting Orlando FL June 2007
- Meghan Hufstader, Varun Vaidya, Dick R. Gourley, Pharm.D , Raoul Arreola, Ph.D “The Impact and Experience of International Pharmacy Externships at the University of Tennessee College of Pharmacy” International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP), Beijing, China September 2007
- Varun A. Vaidya, Song-Hee Hong “Absence of controller drug use among asthmatic patients at risk of asthma attack” ISPOR annual research meeting, Toronto, Canada May 2008
- Varun Vaidyaarun, Hufstader Meghan, Ganguli Arijit "Racial disparities in utilization of asthma controller medications" ISPOR annual research meeting, Orlando, Florida May 2009
- Varun Vaidya Gautam Partha Sara Holl “Assessing Demographic Disparities In Utilization Of Inhaled Corticosteroids Among Patients With Persistent Asthma” ISPORR 15th Annual International Meeting held at May 15-19, 2010 at the Hilton Atlanta in Atlanta, GA, USA
- Varun Vaidya Song Hee Hong Dick Gourley Shelly White-Means “Relationship Of Cost-Sharing Levels To Adherence With Dual-Controller Therapy Among Asthma Patients” ISPOR 15th Annual International Meeting held at May 15-19, 2010 at the Hilton Atlanta in Atlanta, GA, USA
- Sharrel Pinto, Varun Vaidya, Thomas Henry, Gautam Partha “Lowering the Numbers: Pharmacist Interventions in Managing Blood Pressure in Outpatients” Midwest Social and Administrative Pharmacy Conference,July 28-30 2010 held in Iowa City, IA
- Lucas Brazweski Varun Vaidya “Current Utilization and Cost-effectiveness of Biologics in Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Systematic Review of Existing Literature” Midwest Social and Administrative Pharmacy Conference,July 28-30 2010 held in Iowa City, IA
- Meghan Hufstader, Sal Sias, Varun Vaidya, White-Means Shelley Metabolic syndrome risk factors for native born and first generation adolescents (12-17) in the united states ISPOR annual research meeting, Orlando, Florida May 2009
- Arijit Ganguli, Varun Vaidya "Comparative analysis of healthcare utilization among the non-HIV infected children of HIV/AIDS positive and HIV/AIDS negative parent(s)" American Public Health Association annual research meeting San Diego CA, October 2008
- Varun Vaidya, Arijit Ganguli Indian Healthcare System at UTHSC College of Social Work April 2008
- Varun Vaidya, Meghan Hufstader “Medicare Part D: An Overview” University of Memphis October 2007
- Varun Vaidya Gautam Partha Jenifer Howe "Predicting trends in preventive care service utilization impacting cardiovascular outcomes in a United States population" Midwest Social and Administrative Pharmacy Conference,July 28-30 2010 held in Iowa City, IA