Jerry Nesamony, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pharmaceutics
- Ph.D. degree in Pharmaceutics from the University of Louisiana at Monroe, LA, 2005
- MPharm (Pharmaceutical Technology), College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Medical College, University of Kerala, India, 2000
- BPharm, College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Medical College, University of Kerala, India, 1998
Scope of Practice and Curriculum
- Associate Professor (Pharmaceutics), the University of Toledo, College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (7/2014 to present)
- Assistant Professor (Pharmaceutics), the University of Toledo, College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (8/2008 to 7/2014)
- Assistant Professor (Pharmaceutics), Appalachian College of Pharmacy, Oakwood, VA (5/2005 to 8/2008)
- Nanoparticulate and polymer based systems for drug delivery. Focus areas include oral, intravenous, and pulmonary routes of administration. Target compounds are antibiotics, proteins, and anti-cancer drugs.
- Computational support systems in compounding sterile preparations.
- Virtual simulation systems in teaching.
Recent Publications (past five years)
- Deshpande A., Majrad M., Daftardar SB., Patel M, Boddu SHS., and Nesamony J., 2017. "Solid lipid nanoparticles in Drug Delivery: Opportunities and Challenges”, in Ashim Mitra (Editor) “Emerging Nanotechnologies for Diagnostics, Drug Delivery and Medical Devices”, Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands (accepted for publication 1/9/17).
- Nesamony J., and Kolling, W.M., 2009. Modulation of crystal growth in microemulsion-based reactors using polymers, Pathak, Y., and Tran, H., (Eds), Center for Nanotechnology Education, Research and Application, Louisville, KY, pp 156-168.
- Nguyen, S., Baki G, Nesamony J, and Boddu S.H.S., 2015. Vaginal Drug Delivery, Mitra, A.K. (Ed), Jones and Bartlett Learning, Burlington, MA. pp. 335-358.
- Lakkadwala S, Nguyen S, Nesamony J, and Boddu S.H.S. 2015. Use of smart polymers in drug delivery, In: Pharmaceutical Excipients: Chemistry, Functionality, & Regulatory Aspects, Edited by Narang AS and Boddu SHS, Springer International Publishing AG, Switzerland, pp 169-199.
- Nesamony, J., and Peeters, M.J., 2013. Active Learning & Technology: A Feasibility Pilot Study with Student Participation Technology. Annual Meeting of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, Chicago, IL, United States, July 13-17, Volume 77.
- Nesamony J., Manek R.V., and Kolling W.M. 2009. Structure and Dynamics of Self-Assembling Nanostructures in Isopropyl Myristate (IPM)/Di-Octyl Sodium Sulfosuccinate (DOSS)/Water Ternary Systems. Central Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Cleveland, OH, United States, May 20-23, Pages CRM-073
- Regmi H., Nesamony J., and Devabhaktuni VK., 2017. A new computational decision support system for material selection and real-time monitoring and evaluation of aseptic technique when compounding sterile preparations, Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation (accepted for publication 01/06/17).
- Patel N., Lalwani D., Gollmer S., Injeti E, Sari Y., and Nesamony J. 2016. Development and Evaluation of a Calcium Alginate based Oral Ceftriaxone Sodium Formulation, Progress in Biomaterials, 5(2): 117-133.
- Patel S., Garapati C., Chowdhury P., Gupta H., Nesamony J., Nauli S., and Boddu SHS. 2015. Development and Evaluation of Dexamethasone Nanomicelles with Potential for Treating Posterior Uveitis following Topical Application. Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 31(4): 215-227.
- Gandra SCR., Nguyen S., Nazzal SM., Alayoubi A., Jung R, and Nesamony J. 2015. Thermoresponsive fluconazole hydrogels for topical delivery: Rheological and mechanical properties, in vitro drug release, and anti-fungal efficacy, Pharmaceutical Development and Technology, 20(1), 41-49.
- Patel, MN., Lakkadwala, S., Majrad, MS., Injeti, ER., Golmer, SM., Shah, ZA., Boddu, SHS., and Nesamony, J., 2014. Characterization, and evaluation of 5-Fluorouracil loaded solid lipid nanoparticles prepared via a temperature modulated solidification technique. AAPS PharmSciTech, 15(6), 1498-1508.
- Lakkadwala S., Nguyen S., Lawrence J., Nauli SM., and Nesamony J. 2014. Physico-chemical characterization, cytotoxic activity, and biocompatibility studies of tamoxifen-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles prepared via a temperature-modulated solidification method, Journal of Microencapsulation, 31(6), 590-599.
- Nesamony, J., Manek, RV., and Kolling, WM. 2013. Evaluating the structure and dynamics of water in nanoemulsions using rheology, light scattering, and differential scanning calorimetry, Current Nanoscience, 10(3), 355-366.
- Nesamony J., Shah IS., Kalra A., and Jung R, 2013. Nebulized oil-in-water nanoemulsion mists for pulmonary delivery: Development, physico-chemical characterization and in vitro evaluation, Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, 40(9), 1253-1263.
- Nesamony J., Kalra A., Majrad M., Boddu S.H.S., Jung R, Williams F.E., Schnapp A, Nauli S, and Kalinoski A. 2013. Development and characterization of nanostructured mists with potential for actively targeting poorly water-soluble compounds into the lungs, Pharmaceutical Research, 30(10), 2625-2639.
- Boddu S.H.S, Nesamony J, 2013. Utility of transporter/receptor(s) in drug delivery to the eye, World Journal of Pharmacology, 2(1), 1-46.
- Nesamony J., Zachar C.L., Jung R., Williams F.E., and Nauli S., 2013. Preparation, characterization, sterility validations, and in vitro cell toxicity studies of microemulsions possessing potential parenteral applications, Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm., 39(2), 240-251.
- Nesamony J., Singh P.R., Nada S.E., Shah Z.A., and Kolling W.M., 2012. Calcium alginate nanoparticles synthesized through a novel interfacial cross-linking method as a potential protein drug delivery system, J. Pharm. Sci., 101(6), 2177-2184. (Top 10 most downloaded articles from the journal between April, 2012 and June 2012)
- Nesamony, J., Manek, R.V., and Kolling, W.M., 2006. Characterizing water states in microemulsions using sub-ambient differential scanning calorimetry, American Pharmaceutical Review, 9(5), 44-53.
- Nesamony, J., and Kolling, W. M., 2005. IPM/DOSS/water microemulsions as reactors for silver sulfadiazine nanocrystal synthesis, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 94(6), 1310-1320.
- Paul, W., Nesamony, J., and Sharma, C.P., 2002. Delivery of insulin from hydroxyapatite ceramic microspheres: preliminary in vivo studies, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 61(4), 660-662.
- Nesamony, J., Anitha, Y., Sharma, C.P. and Poulose, S., 2001. In vivo absorption studies of insulin from an oral delivery system, Drug Delivery, 8(1): 19-23.
- Outstanding Professor of the Year, 2011
- Outstanding Faculty of the Year, 2012