Connect With Us
Resources and Links
- Blackboard/WebCT Login
- College Catalog
- Career Series Bulletin
- Drug Information Resources
- Experiential Education
- Honors Program
- Library/Learning Resources
- Research Opportunities for CPPS Students
- Student Affairs
- Student Organizations
Health Science Campus
Frederic and Mary Wolfe Center
- Pharmacy Practice
- Patient Care
- Department Research
- Faculty and Staff
- Continuing Education
- Important Links
- Industrial Pharmacy
- Health Outcomes and Socioeconomic Sciences
- Department Highlights
- Department Publications
- Department Abstracts and Presentations
- Department Service Activity
- Profession Leadership
Sai HanumanSagar Boddu, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutics
Dr. Boddu is an assistant professor at The University of Toledo College of Pharmacy. He received his Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences from The University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC) in Dec, 2010. He has also received a Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Sciences degree (B. Pharmacy) along with the professional pharmacist licensure and Master’s in Pharmaceutics from India. Dr. Boddu’s research areas include Drug Delivery, Bioanalysis, and Pharmacokinetics. Dr. Boddu has authored and co-authored more than 20 research and review articles in various peer reviewed journals. He also made significant contribution in 6 book chapters. Dr. Boddu was the recipient of the prestigious UMKC-Chancellor’s Doctoral Fellowship Award for the years 2008-2010. He has been named as Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Honor Recipient for Fall-2010. Dr. Boddu joined the faculty at The University of Toledo in Feb, 2011. His primary responsibilities include conducting independent and collaborative research, along with mentoring graduate students and teaching in the PharmD and graduate curriculum.
- Retinal delivery of drugs following topical application in the form of aqueous eye drops
- Development of novel drug delivery systems for treatment of pancreatic, prostate, ovarian and colorectal cancer
- Application of nanotechnology in the development of targeted and/or controlled delivery systems for protein and peptide molecules
- Design of lipid- or polymer-based micro/nanoparticles to improve the therapeutic properties of drugs
- Collaborating Investigator, “Novel Trans-scleral Delivery Strategy using Bimatoprost Nanoparticles given Subconjunctivally for the Treatment of Glaucoma”, St. Luke’s Hospital Foundation, $24,600.00, 11/01/2009 – 10/31/2010, Status: Completed
- Co- Investigator, “Preclinical Evaluation of Photodynamic Therapy for the Treatment of Chronic Sinusitis,” The Translational Research Stimulation Award program, Principal Investigator: Reginald Baugh, MD, Professor of Surgery, $25,000.00, 05/01/2012 – 05/01/2013. Status: Funded
Mainde C, Nagori RN, Boddu, SHS, Aqueous Oral Formulations of Risperidone, Publication Number: WO/2007/138462, Publication Date: 06.12.2007
Derle DV, Boddu SHS. (2010). Essentials of Physical Pharmacy. Second edition, Pharma Book Syndicate: India
- Boddu SHS. Polymeric Nanoparticles for Ophthalmic Drug Delivery: An Update on Research and Patenting Activity. Recent Patent on Nanomedicine. 2012;2(2):96-112.
- Gaudana RJ, Gokulgandhi MR, Boddu SHS, Mitra AK. Recent overview of ocular patents. Recent Pat Drug Deliv Formul. 2012;6(2):95-106.
- Boddu SHS, Vaishya R, Jwala J, Vadlapudi A, Pal D, Mitra AK. Preparation and Characterization of Folate Conjugated Nanoparticles of Doxorubicin using PLGA-PEG-FOL Polymer. Med chem. 2012;2:68-75.
- Jwala J, Vadlapatla R, Vadlapudi A, Boddu SHS, Pal DJ, Mitra AK. Differential expression of folate receptor-alpha (FR-α), sodium dependent multivitamin transporter (SMVT) and amino acid transporter (B (0, +)) in human retinoblastoma (Y-79) and retinal pigment epithelial (ARPE-19) cell lines. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2012;28(3):237-44.
- Jwala J, Boddu SHS, Paturi DK, Shah S, Smith SB, Pal D, et al. Functional characterization of folate transport proteins in staten's seruminstitut rabbit corneal epithelial cell line. Curr Eye Res. 2011;36(5):404-16.
- Jwala J, Boddu SHS, Shah S, Sirimulla S, Pal D, Mitra AK. Ocular sustained release nanoparticles containing stereoisomeric dipeptide prodrugs of acyclovir. Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2011;27(2):163-72.
- Boddu SHS, Jwala J, Chowdhury MR, Mitra AK. In vitro evaluation of a targeted and sustained release system for retinoblastoma cells using doxorubicin as a model drug. Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2010;26(5):459-68.
- Earla R, Boddu SHS, Cholkar K, Hariharan S, Jwala J, Mitra AK. Development and validation of a fast and sensitive bioanalytical method for the quantitative determination of glucocorticoids-quantitative measurement of dexamethasone in rabbit ocular matrices by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2010;52(4):525-33.
- Challa BR, Boddu SHS, Awen BZ, Chandu BR, Bannoth CK, Khagga M, et al. Development and validation of a sensitive bioanalytical method for the quantitative estimation of pantoprazole in human plasma samples by LC-MS/MS: Application to bioequivalence study. Journal of Chromatography B: Analytical Technologies in the Biomedical and Life Sciences. 2010;878(19):1499-505.
- Janoria KG, Boddu SHS, Natesan S, Mitra AK. Vitreal pharmacokinetics of peptide-transporter-targeted prodrugs of ganciclovir in conscious animals. Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2010;26(3):265-71.
- Boddu SHS, Gunda S, Earla R, Mitra AK. Ocular microdialysis: A continuous sampling technique to study pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in the eye. Bioanalysis. 2010;2(3):487-507.
- Boddu SHS, Jwala J, Vaishya R, Earla R, Karla PK, Pal D, et al. Novel nanoparticulate gel formulations of steroids for the treatment of macular edema. Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2010;26(1):37-48.
- Gaudana R, Jwala J, Boddu SHS, Mitra AK. Recent perspectives in ocular drug delivery. Pharm Res. 2009;26(5):1197-216.
- Janoria KG, Boddu SHS, Wang Z, Paturi DK, Samanta S, Pal D, et al. Vitreal pharmacokinetics of biotinylated ganciclovir: Role of sodium-dependent multivitamin transporter expressed on retina. Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2009;25(1):39-49.
- Karla PK, Earla R, Boddu SHS, Johnston TP, Pal D, Mitra A. Molecular expression and functional evidence of a drug efflux pump (BCRP) in human corneal epithelial cells. Curr Eye Res. 2009;34(1):1-9.
- Agarwal S, Boddu SHS, Jain R, Samanta S, Pal D, Mitra AK. Peptide prodrugs: Improved oral absorption of lopinavir, a HIV protease inhibitor. Int J Pharm. 2008;359(1-2):7-14.
- Janoria KG, Gunda S, Boddu SHS, Mitra AK. Novel approaches to retinal drug delivery. Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery. 2007;4(4):371-88.
- Derle DV, Gujar KN, Boddu SHS. Adverse effects associated with the use of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs: An overview. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2006;68(4):409-14.
- Derle DV, Boddu SHS, Pimpale R. Microemulsion as a vehicle for transdermal permeation of nimesulide. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2006;68(5):622-5.
- Derle DV, Boddu SHS, Kotwal RS, Ingole RD, Chavan SS. A compartive in vitro evaluation of transdermal permeation of valdecoxib and its compled with HP-beta-cyclodextrin from microemulsion based gel. Indian Drugs 2006;48(8):625-629.
- Deelip Derle, Boddu SHS, Manoj Magar. Studies on the Preparation, Characterization and Solubility of β-Cyclodextrin -Satranidazole Inclusion Complexes. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 2006;40(6):232-236.
- Derle DV, Khangoankar S, Boddu SHS, Pimpale R 2005. Development of dissolution medium for Pioglitazone, Indian Drugs. 2005;42(5):313-315.
- Sagar GV, Sastry BS, Boddu SHS, 2003. Determination of Lacidipine in Pharmaceutical formulations by Oxidimetry, Journal- institution of Chemists India 75(4):133-134.
- Gunda S, Boddu SHS, Gupta J, Mitra AK, Ocular Pharmacokinetics: Challenges and Models, In: Duane's Foundations of Clinical Ophthalmology, 2012, J. B. Lippincott Co. p. 17337-17350
- Boddu SHS, Kwatra D, Mitra AK, Prodrug Strategies to Enhance Oral Drug Absorption, in Oral Bioavailability. 2011, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. p. 355-369.
- Kwatra D, Boddu SHS, Mitra AK, MDCK Cells and Other Cell Culture Models of Oral Drug Absorption, in Oral Bioavailability. 2011, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. p. 443-460.
- Karla PK, Boddu SHS, Dasari C, Mitra AK, Outward-Directed Transport, in Adler's Physiology of the Eye, 2011. Elsevier, p. 385-393.
- Steering committee member of AAPS excipient focus group, 2010-Present
- Member of the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists, 2006-Present
- Member of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, 2006-Present
- Member of American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, 2011-Present
- Member of the Rho Chi Society (Delta Alpha chapter), 2012