- Welcome to the Department for Human Research Protections
- DHRP Contacts
- Does Your Research Require IRB Approval
- Which IRB Will Review My Research
- Before You Begin Your Research
- Guidance for Research Involving Children
- Training and Education
- Biomedical IRB Submission Forms
- Biomedical IRB Fee Schedule
- SBE IRB Submission Forms
- IRB Meeting Schedules & Member Information
- Compliance Information
- Institutional Policies
- News and Announcements
- Federal Information and Industry Links
Director of Operations
Roland Skeel, MD
Biomedical IRB coordinator
Social, Behavioral and Educational IRB
Barbara Chesney, PhD
Training Requirements: The University of Toledo requires all study personnel engaged in human subject research (including research using information and specimens from human subjects) to complete the training mandated by our Federalwide Assurance.
- INTRODUCING -
Beginning July 2010 all individuals requiring human subject research training must complete the process via the University's CITI (Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative) training website. Please follow the instructions below to access your specific training requirements.
All required modules must be completed before an individual can be approved as a member of the research team. This program has been designed to provide options for both Biomedical and Social, Behavioral and Educational research training. Please complete the training modules appropriate to your area of research.
If your research involves access to protected health information (PHI), please see instructions below regarding the HIPAA training requirements.
Instructions for Completing your Human Subjects Research Training
1. Go to the CITI Program Training Website at https://www.citiprogram.org
2. Select New Users Register Here
3. Select your Institution from the drop-down list - University of Toledo
4. Enter your personal member information and proceed to the next page.
5. On the Select Curriculum page, choose the first option - Yes, I conduct research with live human beings, human samples or with data derived from human beings.
6. On the next page, select the appropriate curriculum for your learner group -
7. Choose to affiliate with another institution if applicable. (not required)
8. Select Enter under Status to begin your training modules.
Your Module Completion List will be archived on the UT-CITI training website and can also be printed as documentation
for other institutions, funding agencies or your personal records.
HIPAA Training Requirements
Who oversees HIPAA training at the University of Toledo?
The UT privacy office and information technology (IT) security and compliance, or their designees, are designated to provide administration of HIPAA compliance training for the University. Training will be based upon job role, campus location, exposure to PHI and other appropriate factors as determined by the privacy office or information technology security and compliance
Which individuals at the University are required to be HIPAA trained?
HIPAA training is required for all members of an entity’s workforce who, by virtue of their position, are likely to obtain access to protected health information. The following individuals are included -
- Trainees (student researchers)
- Others under direct control of persons working on behalf of the covered entity
If you have questions regarding HIPAA or require training access, please contact Suzanne
Jablonski at email@example.com or call 419.383.6933.
For additional information regarding HIPAA, please visit http://www.utoledo.edu/offices/compliance/HIPAA_Training.html