Facts About Suicide
- Suicide is Preventable.
- Believed to be 2nd leading cause of death for college students (due to the lower rate
of homicide in college population)
- Nearly 80% of college students who die by suicide never participate in counseling
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among college students.
- Nearly 1,100 suicides are projected to occur on college campuses this year.
- 18-24 year-olds think about suicide more often than any other age group.
- One in twelve U.S. college students has made a suicide plan.
- The National College Health Risk Behavior Study found that 11.4% of students seriously
consider attempting suicide.
- In 1998, suicide killed more young adults than AIDS, cancer, heart disease, pneumonia,
birth defects, stroke, influenza and chronic lung
- The suicide rate for 15–24 year-olds increased by over 200% in the last 50 years.
- Third leading cause of death for youth between 15 and 24 following accidental injury
- About 12 young people aged 15-24 will commit suicide today.
- One person under the age of 25 commits suicide within every 2 hours and 2 1/2 minutes.