UT Climb Cave
So you're interested in climbing, but you may find yourself asking...now what? The climb wall is a great way to meet new people, have fun, get a good workout and learn something new and challenging! So next time you're at the Rec, give it a try! The climb wall is built by Elderado Climbing Walls and offers climbers a variety of climbing options.
Harness and shoes are available to members at no cost during operational hours. Staff
are available during staff belay hours to belay members. Members looking to belay
themselves must take a basic climb clinic and obtain their climb card. Experienced
climbers can test out, by demonstrating skills during any open hours. The climb clinic
and test out, cost $5.
Rock Climbing at the University of Toledo - YouTube
Fall 2015 Hours of operation
Monday - Thursday 5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Friday - Sunday 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Bouldering (moving horizontally across the wall) may be done at any time during open hours and does not require any gear or experience. It's also free! For safety reasons, stay below the yellow designated line and wear only clean climbing or tennis shoes on the wall. Users under 14 years of age must have adult supervision and users under 10 must be spotted by an adult.
Users who wish to top rope with a partner (vertical climb) must successfully complete a climb clinic and earn a climb card. When coming in to top rope, climbers must show the supervising staff member their valid climb card and a photo ID.
In order to top rope, two climbers must be present that have valid climb cards. You must present the climb card to the staff member in the wall for documentation. Climbers may bring in their own shoes or harness, but must use the REC's ropes and belay devices. Loose chalk is not permitted. Chalk bags and climbing shoes are available for rent at the REC for free.
For climbers who wish to top-rope without a climb card, staff belay hours are available. During staff belay, a member of the SRC climb wall staff will be present to belay climbers.
To Download the Registration Form, click here. Return the completed form with payment to the Office of Recreation. Or feel free
to stop into the Student Recreation Center on the University of Toledo Main Campus
and complete the necessary paperwork. Registration will be accepted on the day of
Basic Climb Clinics
Want to learn a new and extreme sport? Want to meet cool new people? Want to see how
strong you really are? Looking for a way to spice up your work out? Let's see if YOU
are up for the challenge! Stop reading this and get to the wall as our trained staff
takes you from the ground to the top as you "learn the ropes" in one climb clinic
that will leave you with a new skill and wanting to learn more!
After successfully completing the class, you will earn a climb card, which will allow you to climb to the top whenever you want! And of course - we'll start right from the basics, so NO EXPERIENCE is needed! And best of all? It's only $5 for the clinic; the climb card is free after completion!
The clinic will teach you everything you need to know, including proper belay techniques, language and tying knots. You must be able to demonstrate mastery of the skills at the clinic and take a short (and easy!) test. Climb cards will be received after successfully completing a climb clinic.
Basic Climb Clinics: TBA
Climb Review / Belay Check
If you have climbing experience and feel that you could demonstrate such procedures as tying knots, proper commands, belaying strokes, and use of equipment then you should take the climb review. This involves a 15 minute test of your skills. After successful demonstration of your knowledge and skill and a quick test, you will have the opportunity to purchase a climb card for $5.00.
Climb Cave Rules
- Users must be at least 6 years old to climb and must fit securely in a harness to top-rope (seat or full body). Users must be at least 14 years old to belay
- Participants must fill out a waiver prior to climbing
- Top-rope climbing requires a partner. Both participants must have a climb card.
- All participants under 14 must have adult supervision at all times
- All participants under 10 must be spotted by an adult when bouldering
- Proper belay techniques and commands must be used at all times
- Climbers are required to us SRC ropes, carabiners, and belay devices
- Participants may use the following personal equipment providing it is staff approved: harness, shoes, helmets, and chalk bag. Loose chalk is not permitted
- Shoes and a chalk bag may be rented for free at the climb wall. Helmets are also provided if the climber so chooses
- Climbing or closed-toe athletic shoes are required. Open-toe or hard-soled shoes are prohibited
- Climbers must stay belay the designated height (the marked yellow line) when bouldering
- One climber per route. Do not boulder under another climber
- Jewelry that dangles, excessively loose clothing, and items in pockets must be removed when climbing or belaying. Secure these items outside of the climbing wall in lockers provided. We are not responsible for lost or stolen items
- Any damaged or loose holds must be immediately brought to the attention of the SRC wall staff. Only the SRC Climbing Wall staff has the authority to move, remove, or alter any holds or route markings
- Never hold or grab a lead climbing anchor
- Quick descents or swinging from the ropes is prohibited
- The SRC staff has the authority to enforce all climbing wall policies
- Any violation may result in suspension of climbing wall privileges
- Wall supervisors may not belay or serve as a spotter
- A maximum of 6 persons on the wall and a maximum of 16 persons in the climb wall will be permitted at one time
Are you interested in renting the climb wall specifically for you group? Want to take your birthday party to new heights? The climb wall is waiting for you! For any general questions or rental inquires, please contact Alexandria Spinks, Program Coordinator at email@example.com or 419-530-3703.