French Bachelor's Degree Overview
Students earning a French degree at The University of Toledo learn more than grammar and conversational skills. They study the richness of other Francophone cultures through film, literature and more.
A degree in a foreign language can:
- Enhance your job prospects in the global marketplace
- Strengthen your studies in other academic areas
- Help you better understand English
- Make you a more sensitive traveler and global citizen
French Bachelor's Degree Highlights
- Study abroad. We strongly encourage our French students to spend time abroad. UToledo’s Center for International Studies and Programs connects students with opportunities in French-speaking regions around the world.
- Minor or double-major in French. Bilingual job candidates in any field set themselves apart. UT faculty members work closely with students who want to double-major. Our curriculum dovetails nicely with degrees in business, film, political science, art history and more. We’ve even had pharmacy students double-major in French.
- Heritage speakers welcome. Did you grow up in a French-speaking family? Maybe you aren’t confident in your conversational skills or want to learn more about your culture. We welcome you to the program.
- Placement exams. Our enthusiastic advisers work with you to find the right level of classes. We offer walk-in tests daily in Memorial Field House, room 1080.
- State-of-the-art learning lab. UToledo’s Foreign Language Learning Center has all the tools you need to practice:
- International satellite TV
- Computers with online exercises
- Foreign-language comic books, magazines, reference books and films
- BA/MBA program. UToledo offers French students a chance to earn a bachelor’s in French and an MBA with a concentration in international business in just five years. UT’s Business of College and Innovation is ranked as one of the country’s best business schools.
- Expert faculty who are native speakers and research-active in a variety of fields, including film, culture and pedagogy of teaching foreign languages.
UToledo graduates with French degrees learn to:
- Write well in English and French
- Communicate effectively
- Appreciate diversity
- Be culturally sensitive
- Adapt to other cultures
Our graduates are prepared for careers in:
- Government and foreign service
- Publishing, editing and translation
- Hospitality and recreation industries
Some go on to graduate schools and seek careers as:
- International business professionals
- International lawyers
- Medical professionals
French Bachelor's Degree Plan of Study
French Bachelor’s Degree Sample Classes
- Culture & Commerce in the French-Speaking World
- Le Cinema Francais
- Conversation and Composition
- Production Féminine
- Business French
View Plan of Study
Internship Opportunities for French Bachelor's Degree
Study abroad program directors can help UToledo students get internships while they study abroad. Students work or volunteer in:
- Public-service organizations
- Schools (teaching conversational English)
- Museums or libraries
Graduates of UToledo’s French program also can apply to work for a year in France. The French government hires teaching assistants to teach conversational English in schools.