French Bachelor's Degree Overview
Students earning a French degree at The University of Toledo learn more than grammar and conversational skills. They study the richness of other Francophone cultures through film, literature and more.
A degree in a foreign language can:
- Enhance your job prospects in the global marketplace
- Strengthen your studies in other academic areas
- Help you better understand English
- Make you a more sensitive traveler and global citizen
French Bachelor's Degree Highlights
- Study abroad. We strongly encourage our French students to spend time abroad. UToledo’s Center for International Studies and Programs connects students with opportunities in French-speaking regions around the world.
- Minor or double-major in French. Bilingual job candidates in any field set themselves apart. UT faculty members work closely with students who want to double-major. Our curriculum dovetails nicely with degrees in business, film, political science, art history and more. We’ve even had pharmacy students double-major in French.
- Heritage speakers welcome. Did you grow up in a French-speaking family? Maybe you aren’t confident in your conversational skills or want to learn more about your culture. We welcome you to the program.
- Placement exams. Our enthusiastic advisers work with you to find the right level of classes. We offer walk-in tests daily in Memorial Field House, room 1080.
- State-of-the-art learning lab. UToledo’s Foreign Language Learning Center has all the tools you need to practice:
- International satellite TV
- Computers with online exercises
- Foreign-language comic books, magazines, reference books and films
- BA/MBA program. UToledo offers French students a chance to earn a bachelor’s in French and an MBA with a concentration in international business in just five years. UT’s Business of College and Innovation is ranked as one of the country’s best business schools.
- Expert faculty who are native speakers and research-active in a variety of fields, including film, culture and pedagogy of teaching foreign languages.
UToledo graduates with French degrees learn to:
- Write well in English and French
- Communicate effectively
- Appreciate diversity
- Be culturally sensitive
- Adapt to other cultures
Our graduates are prepared for careers in:
- Government and foreign service
- Publishing, editing and translation
- Hospitality and recreation industries
Some go on to graduate schools and seek careers as:
- International business professionals
- International lawyers
- Medical professionals
French Bachelor's Degree Plan of Study
French Bachelor’s Degree Sample Classes
- Culture & Commerce in the French-Speaking World
- Le Cinema Francais
- Conversation and Composition
- Production Féminine
- Business French
Internship Opportunities for French Bachelor's Degree
Study abroad program directors can help UToledo students get internships while they study abroad. Students work or volunteer in:
- Public-service organizations
- Schools (teaching conversational English)
- Museums or libraries
Graduates of UToledo’s French program also can apply to work for a year in France. The French government hires teaching assistants to teach conversational English in schools.