Undergraduate International Admission

International Admission Information for Graduate Students

Where and How to Apply

International students applying for admission into graduate programs should apply directly to the University of Toledo Graduate College.

The University of Toledo has no official representative outside the United States. We cooperate with organizations such as America-Mideast Educational & Training Services, Inc. (AMIDEAST), the Fulbright Commissions, and the Institute of International Education (IIE). All admissions decisions and letters of admission come from the Office of International Admissions.

For information on applying to the graduate programs of The University of Toledo, please see the Graduate College Web site. The site contains an online application form and information on how to complete your application.

Applicants for graduate study should apply at least four months prior to the anticipated term of enrollment.

Admission to a graduate program at The University of Toledo is contingent upon acceptance by the college and/or the department to which you are applying.

Completing the Name Section on Documents Submitted

Itis important that you use the same name and spelling in all forms, documents, and correspondences, because all materials for applicants are filed alphabetically under the family name (surname) as indicated by the applicant on the application form. The name on the documents must be the same as your name as it appears in your passport. Any changes or variation in names on an academic record need to be carefully explained by a cover letter and accompanied by a copy of the identification page of your passport.

Ifyou have completed your university studies but do not have the academic preparation for a graduate-level program, you may apply to the appropriate baccalaureate college for admission as an Undergraduate With Degree (UWD). On the form I-20, this classification will be Post-Baccalaureate. This classification provides a student the opportunity to make up deficiencies and to establish a basis for reconsideration of admission to the Graduate School. UWDs are not permitted to register for graduate credit courses. Information on baccalaureate programs may be obtained from the Office of International Admissions.

Ifyou are applying for graduate admission, you must provide three transcripts (one of which must be official) of all undergraduate credits and all degrees earned. If previous graduate work has been undertaken, you must also provide three transcripts of these records to the Graduate School.

Financial Documentation

Applicants are required to provide supporting documentation to verify adequate funding to pursue studies at UT. If you are applying for undergraduate study, your sponsor must complete the Certification of Financial Support portion of the application (Page 2) and state an exact amount in US dollars which will be provided each year for your education. Your sponsor must verify that the minimum amount necessary for tuition, fees, and living expenses will be available to you. The estimated amount necessary for one academic year appears in the Financial Information section of the application form.

Graduate applicants must complete and return the Graduate Student Financial Statement directly to the Graduate School. The Graduate Student Financial Statement is not complete without an original letter of financial support from your scholarship organization, or sponsor's bank, certifying the information on the Graduate Student Financial Statement. Photocopies or faxes are not acceptable.

Even if you have received a graduate assistantship from The University of Toledo, you must complete and submit the Graduate Student Financial Statement. Questions regarding the availability of graduate assistantships should be referred directly to the department to which you are applying.

Financial documentation is not complete without a letter of financial guarantee from your sponsor's bank dated within 12 months of anticipated enrollment. All financial supporting documentation must be in English or accompanied by an official English translation.

All graduate applicants whose first language is not English must submit a minimum TOEFL score of 550 (213 Computer Based). Students whose score on the examination qualify them to proceed with program of study may do so without restriction. Students whose scores indicate that they need additional instruction in English will be referred to the American Language Institute before beginning an academic program of study.

Graduate Record Examination (GRE): All graduate applicants (except those applying to the College of Business Administration) from non-English speaking countries must take the GRE as administered through the Educational Testing Service.

Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT): All applicants for graduate work in Business Administration are required to take the GMAT.

For more information on the international TOEFL, GRE or GMAT, visit their web site or write to:

Educational Testing Service (ETS)
Princeton, NJ 08541-6155

Last Updated: 10/27/16