Office of International Student & Scholar Services

F-1 International Students

University Campus
Frequently Used Forms & Handouts



Electronic Request Forms

USCIS & Other Useful Links

Change of Level: If a student decides to pursue a different or subsequent program at UT, he or she must drop off the following items with OISSS. OISSS will print the new I-20 within 2-3 business days.

  • Proof of acceptance into new program, I-20, passport, visa, I-94, and updated financial information is needed. 

    (return to top of page)

Change of MajorA student who wishes to change his or her major field of study must drop off the following items with OISSS. OISSS will print the new I-20 within 2-3 business days.
  • Letter from department chair and/or academic advisor verifying your field of study and expected graduation date.
  • If, by changing majors, a student will need more time to complete his/her program than originally estimated, follow Extension of Stay procedures below.

    (return to top of page)

 Change of Status: Your eligibility to change to another nonimmigrant status may be limited. Click the change of status link to see the various handouts for a change of status. 

(return to top of page)

  Co-Enrollment FormA student can be enrolled in two different schools at the same time (concurrent enrollment), as long as the enrollment in both schools amounts to a full time course of study.

Extension of Stay: A student must complete his or her program before the program end date indicated on line #5 of the I-20. A student who will not complete the academic program by that date must apply to OISSS for an extension before the program end date.

Maintaining Your F-1 Status: This handout will give you detailed information and regulations about maintaining your F-1 student visa while in the U.S.

Reduced Course Load: A student who drops below a full course of study without the prior approval of OISSS will be considered out of status. A student must make an appointment with OISS to drop below a full course of study.

Reinstatement of StatusA student who has failed to maintain status may be reinstated to lawful F-1 status at the discretion of USCIS.

 SEVIS Fee Information: Handout explains the ways to pay a SEVIS fee and how to pay using different methods.

(return to top of page) 

Transfer Students:

ransfer forms are neither necessary nor required. Therefore, The University of Toledo will not complete Transfer forms. All immigration information the new school will need can be provided by you or can be obtained from the SEVIS record. 

  • Transfer In: to complete your transfer in, the OISSS will need the following:
    • Name, email address, & phone number
    • Most recent or current U.S. address
    • Proof of financial documentation (bank letter, scholarship letter, or financial guarantee)
    • If you plan to leave the U.S. before UT classes begin. You will need to inform the OISSS of your departure, as you will need the UT I-20 to reenter the U.S. Visit our Mailing Documents page for instructions.
    • Contact your previous school/university to request a transfer to "The University of Toledo - School Code CLE214F00330000" the institution will need an acceptance letter from The University of Toledo to complete a request.
  • Transfer Out
    • Students must give a copy of an acceptance letter from your new college or university to OISSS.  Please include your preferred transfer date.
    • Students must withdraw from all UT courses before the transfer out is complete to avoid additional expenses.

      (return to top of page)  


Last Updated: 12/14/17