UT Diversity Menu
- Diversity Home
- Student Services
- Registrar's Office
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Community Resources
- Diversity Offices
- Health Science Campus Diversity Resources
- Women Support Resources
- Diversity Plans
- President's Council on Diversity
Culture Building Institute
University Hall 3770
- Diversity at The University of Toledo
- Catharine S. Eberly Center for Women
- Office of Accessibility
- Office of Equity, Diversity & Community Engagement
- Office of EXCELlence
- Toledo Excel
- Upward Bound
- TRIO-Student Support Services
- Office of Faculty and Student Diversity
- Office of Global Initiatives
- Office of Institutional Diversity (OID)
- Office of Multicultural Student Services
- African American Student Enrichment Services
- Latino Initiatives
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Initiatives
- Project SCOUT
- Upward Bound
Sponsored by the Office of Equity, Diversity & Community Engagement (OEDC) in collaboration with the Office of Quality and Continuous Learning (OQCL) the Culture Building Institute Diversity Certificate provides further education about the topic of diversity and engages the campus community in dialogue and discussion addressing relevant issues.
Any current UT employee is eligible to participate in the program free of charge. Registration is required, please contact Eva Curtis in OQCL, via email Eva.firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 419.530.2036.
The UT Culture Building Institute Diversity Certificate consists of the following seminars.To earn the certificate, participants must complete the first six seminars then any three of the optional six.
Required Sessions (must attend all)
1. Social Psychology and Diversity Tuesday, February 12, 2013- 8:30 am –Noon with Selina Griswold, Associate Professor, Department of Business Technology
2. Compliance and Law Applied to Policy Tuesday, February 26, 2013- 8:30 am – Noon with Lisa Kovach, Associate Professor, Education, Robert Salem, Clinical Professor, Law-Instruction, and Wendy Wiitala, ADA/504 Compliance Officer
3. Supplier Diversity and Minority Business Development Tuesday, March 19, 2013- 8:30 am – Noon with Erik Johnson, Manager of UT’s Minority Business Development Center
4. Building a Culture of Diversity; Interpersonal Communication Friday, March 29, 2013- 8:30 am – 4:30 pm with Dr. Shanda Gore, Associate VP, Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement and Jeff Witt, Program Manager, Office of Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement
5. Measuring Diversity Monday, April 22, 2013- 8:30 am – Noon with Dr. Shanda Gore, Associate VP, Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement, Jeff Witt, Program Manager, Office of Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement and Paula Ross, UT’s Urban Affairs Center
6. Global Citizenship Friday, April 26, 2013- 8:30 am – 4:30 pm with Peter Thomas, Director, International Student Services
Optional Sessions (must attend at least 3)
1. Safe Places Training – Expanded Wednesday, February 27, 2013- 1:00 – 4:30 pm with Fatima Pervaiz, Program Coordinator, Office of Multicultural Student Success and Jeff Witt, Program Manager, Office of Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement
2. Gender Roles Thursday, March 28, 2013- 1:00 – 4:30 pm with Dr. Asma Abdel Halim, Associate Professor, Women and Gender Studies
3. Diversity in the Arts Wednesday, April 3, 2013- 1:00 – 4:30 pm with Kate Abu-Absi, Director, Arts Living Learning Community and Dr. Tanisha Jackson, Africana Studies, UT Department of Sociology
4. Religious Diversity Thursday, April 4, 2013- 1:00 – 4:30 pm with Dr. Jeanine Diller, Director UT Center for Religious Understanding
5. Building a Bridge to Successful Aging Thursday, April 18, 2013- 1:00 – 4:30 pm with Dr. Barbara Kopp Miller, Director, UT Center for Successful Aging and Victoria Steiner, Department of Public Health and Preventative Medicine
6. The Socioeconomic Impact Thursday, April 25, 2013- 1:00 – 4:30 pm with Paula Ross, UT Urban Affairs Center
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who is the Culture Building Institute (CBI) For?
A: The Culture Building Institute Diversity Certificate is designed for any current UT employee free of charge.
Q: How do I earn the certificate?
A: To earn the certificate participants must complete the first six seminars then any three of the optional six. If you are unable to attend every session, you can complete your certificate in the following semester by attending the required sessions missed in the previous semester.
Q: Will completing the certificate count towards my diversity training requirement?
A: Yes but only upon completion of the entire diversity certificate.
How Do I Register?
To register for this Certificate Program or any individual session within this program, complete the form (link below) and send it to Eva Curtis in the Office of Quality and Continuous Learning.
Eva.email@example.com Phone: 419.530.2036
Who do I call with any questions?
For more information about this Certificate Program or any individual session within this program, contact Jeff Witt in the Office of Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement.