UT Diversity Menu
- Diversity Home
- Student Services
- Registrar's Office
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Community Resources
- Diversity Offices
- Health Science Campus Diversity Resources
- Women Support Resources
- Diversity Plans
- President's Council on Diversity
Culture Building Institute
University Hall 3770
- Diversity at The University of Toledo
- Catharine S. Eberly Center for Women
- Office of Accessibility
- Office of Equity, Diversity & Community Engagement
- Office of EXCELlence
- Toledo Excel
- Upward Bound
- TRIO-Student Support Services
- Office of Faculty and Student Diversity
- Office of Global Initiatives
- Office of Institutional Diversity (OID)
- Office of Multicultural Student Services
- African American Student Enrichment Services
- Latino Initiatives
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Initiatives
- Project SCOUT
- Upward Bound
Sponsored by the Office of Equity, Diversity & Community Engagement (OEDC) in collaboration with the Office of Quality and Continuous Learning (OQCL) the Culture Building Institute Diversity Certificate provides further education about the topic of diversity and engages the campus community in dialogue and discussion addressing relevant issues.
Any current UT employee is eligible to participate in the program free of charge. Registration is required, please contact Eva Curtis in OQCL, via email Eva.firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 419.530.2036. All sessions will take place in Rocket Hall 1530 (Rocket Room) unless otherwise noted.
The UT Culture Building Institute Diversity Certificate consists of the following seminars.To earn the certificate, participants must complete the first six seminars then any five of the optional ten. Click here to read the detailed schedule.
Required Sessions (must attend all)
- Building a Culture of Diversity Tuesday, Sept. 23; 1- 4:30 p.m. with Jeff Witt, Program Manager, Office of Equity,
Diversity and Community Engagement
- Disabilities, The ADA and Reasonable Accommodation Tuesday, Oct. 21; 1 - 4:30 p.m. with Toni Howard, Interim Director, Student Disability Services
- Harassment and Bullying: Law, Policy and the Right Thing To Do Tuesday, Oct. 28 9 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. with Dr. Lisa Kovach, Associate Professor, JHCOE
and Robert Salem, Clinical Professor, Law-Instruction
- Building a Culture of Diversity: Interpersonal Communication Friday, Nov. 7; 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. with Dr. Shanda Gore, Associate VP, Equity, Diversity
and Community Engagement and UT's Chief Diversity Officer and Jeff Witt, Program Manager,
Office of Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement
- Measuring Diversity Wednesday, Nov. 12; 1 - 4:30 p.m. with Dr. Shanda Gore, Associate VP, Equity, Diversity
and Community Engagement and UT's Chief Diversity Officer
- Supplier Diversity and Minority Business Development Tuesday, Nov. 18; 1 - 4 p.m. with Erik Johnson, Manager, UT's Minority Business Development Center and Jen Pastorek, Director, Supply Chain Management
Optional Sessions (must attend at least 5)
- Global Citizenship Wednesday, Oct. 1; 1 - 4:30 p.m. in Snyader Memorial 1100 with Pete Thomas, Director,
Experiential Learning and Alex Wrege, Program Director, American Language Institute
- Safe Place Training - LGBTQA Ally Training- Expanded Friday, Oct. 10; 1 – 4:30 p.m. with Jeff Witt, Program Manager, Office of Equity,
Diversity and Community Engagement - A part of UT's LGBTQA History Month
- Building a Bridge to Successful Aging Wednesday, Oct. 15; 1 – 4:30 p.m. with Dr. Victoria Steiner, Assistant Admin. Director,
Center for Successful Aging
- Religious Diversity Friday, Oct. 17; 1– 4:30 pm with Dr. Jeanine Diller, Director UT Center for Religious
Understanding - A part of UT's Inter-Faith Week
- Lecture: Beauty & Body Image - Cultivating the Whole Person Thursday, Oct. 30 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. in Doermann Theatre with Yomi Abiola, international
model and founder of Stand Up for Fashion. Sponsored by the Catharine S. Eberly Center
for Women - part of UT's Domestic Violence Awareness Week
- Arab American National Museum Guided Tour Friday, Nov. 14 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. a bus trip to museum in Dearborn, Michigan. Sponsored
by the Catharine S. Eberly Center for Women - a part of UT's International Education Week
- Living History Performance: Native American Women Thursday, Nov. 20 5:30 - 7 p.m. with The Black Swamp InterTribal Foundation. Sponsored
by the Catharine S. Eberly Center for Women - a part of UT's Native American History Month
- Book Discussion: "Talking About Race" by Kaolin Thursday, Nov. 25; 1 - 3:30 pm with Jeff Witt, Program Manager, Office of Equity,
Diversity and Community Engagement.
- Gender and Gender Identity Thursday, Dec. 9; 1 - 4:30 pm presenter TBD
- Socioeconomics: Bridges Out of Poverty Friday, Dec. 12 1 - 4:30 p.m. with Jeff Witt, Program Manager, Office of Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who is the Culture Building Institute (CBI) For?
A: The Culture Building Institute Diversity Certificate is designed for any current UT employee or student.
Q: How do I earn the certificate?
A: To earn the certificate participants must complete the first six seminars then any five of the optional ten. If you are unable to attend every session, you can complete your certificate in the following semester by attending the required sessions missed in the previous semester.
Q: Will completing the certificate count towards my diversity training requirement?
A: Yes but only upon completion of the entire diversity certificate.
How Do I Register?
To register for this Certificate Program or any individual session within this program, click here for the registration form and send the completed form to Eva Curtis in the Office of Quality and Continuous Learning.
Eva.email@example.com Phone: 419.530.2036 Fax: 419.530.6177
Who do I call with any questions?
For more information about this Certificate Program or any individual session within this program, contact Jeff Witt in the Office of Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement.
If you are enrolled as a UT graduate student, you can enroll in the Master's Diversity Certificate. Click here to find out more information.