UT Diversity Menu
- Diversity Home
- Student Services
- Registrar's Office
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Community Resources
- Diversity Offices
- Health Science Campus Diversity Resources
- Women Support Resources
- Diversity Plans
- President's Council on Diversity
Culture Building Institute
University Hall 3770
- Diversity at The University of Toledo
- Catharine S. Eberly Center for Women
- Office of Accessibility
- Office of Equity, Diversity & Community Engagement
- Office of EXCELlence
- Toledo Excel
- Upward Bound
- TRIO-Student Support Services
- Office of Faculty and Student Diversity
- Office of Global Initiatives
- Office of Institutional Diversity (OID)
- Office of Multicultural Student Services
- African American Student Enrichment Services
- Latino Initiatives
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Initiatives
- Project SCOUT
- Upward Bound
Sponsored by the Office of Equity, Diversity & Community Engagement (OEDC) in collaboration with the Office of Quality and Continuous Learning (OQCL) the Culture Building Institute Diversity Certificate provides further education about the topic of diversity and engages the campus community in dialogue and discussion addressing relevant issues.
Any current UT employee is eligible to participate in the program free of charge. Registration is required, please contact Eva Curtis in OQCL, via email Eva.firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 419.530.2036.
The UT Culture Building Institute Diversity Certificate consists of the following seminars.To earn the certificate, participants must complete the first seven seminars then any four of the optional eight. Click here to read the detailed schedule.
Required Sessions (must attend all)
- Social Psychology and Diversity Thursday, Feb. 11; 1- 4:30 p.m. with Selina Griswold, Associate Professor, Department
of Business Technology
- Global Citizenship Tuesday, Feb. 18; 1 - 4:30 p.m. with Pete Thomas, Director, Experiential Learning, and Alex
Wrege, Program Director, American Language Institute
- Supplier Diversity and Minority Business Development Tuesday, Feb. 25; 1- 4 p.m. with Erik Johnson, Manager of UT’s Minority Business Development
Center, and Jen Pastorek, Director, Supply Chain Management
- Measuring Diversity Tuesday, March 18; 1:00- 4:30 p.m. with Dr. Shanda Gore, Associate VP, Equity, Diversity
and Community Engagement and UT's Chief Diversity Officer.
- Law, Policy and The Right Thing To Do; Harassment and Bullying Tuesday, March 25; 1 - 4:30 p.m. with Dr. Lisa Kovach, Associate Professor, Education
and Robert Salem, Clinical Professor, Law-Instruction
- Building a Culture of Diversity; Interpersonal Communication Friday, March 28; 9 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. with Dr. Shanda Gore, Associate VP, Equity, Diversity
and Community Engagement and Jeff Witt, Program Manager, Office of Equity, Diversity
and Community Engagement
- Law, Policy and The Right Thing To Do; Disabilities Tuesday, April 1; 1:30 – 4 p.m. with Wendy Wiitala, ADA/504 Compliance Officer, and Toni Howard, Interim Director, Office of Academic Access.
Optional Sessions (must attend at least 4)
- Film Viewing: Half the Sky Thursday, Feb. 6; 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. in the Health Education Building, Room 100 on HSC.
This documentary series introduces women and girls from around the world who are living
under some of the most difficult circumstances imaginable and fighting bravely to
change them. This session will focus on the issues of maternal mortality.
- Safe Place Training- Expanded Thursday, Feb. 20; 1 – 4:30 p.m. with Fatima Pervaiz, Program Coordinator, Office
of Multicultural Student Success
- Toledo Museum of Art Docent Guided Tour Friday, March 14; 1 - 4 p.m., a UT bus will depart from the Eberly Center at 1 p.m.
to take a group to the Toledo Museum of Art. The tour will focus on artwork by and
- Building a Bridge to Successful Aging Thursday, March 20; 1 – 4:30 p.m. with Dr. Victoria Steiner, Assistant Admin. Director,
Center for Successful Aging
- Lecture: Dr. Michael Kimmel "Mars, Venus or Planet Earth? Women and Men on Campus
in the New Millennium" Thursday, April 10' 6 :30 - 8 p.m. in Savage Arena. The lecture will focus on the
ways in which gender has impacted college campus culture.
- Religious Diversity Friday, April 11; 1– 4:30 pm with Dr. Jeanine Diller, Director UT Center for Religious
- Book Discussion: "Talking About Race" by Kaolin Thursday, April 17; 1 - 3:30 pm with Jeff Witt, Program Manager, Office of Equity,
Diversity and Community Engagement.
- Gender and Gender Identity Thursday, April 24; 1 - 4:30 pm with Professor Charlene Gilbert, Chair, Department of Women's and Gender Studies
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who is the Culture Building Institute (CBI) For?
A: The Culture Building Institute Diversity Certificate is designed for any current UT employee.
Q: How do I earn the certificate?
A: To earn the certificate participants must complete the first seven seminars then any four of the optional eight. If you are unable to attend every session, you can complete your certificate in the following semester by attending the required sessions missed in the previous semester.
Q: Will completing the certificate count towards my diversity training requirement?
A: Yes but only upon completion of the entire diversity certificate.
How Do I Register?
To register for this Certificate Program or any individual session within this program, click here for the registration form and send the completed form to Eva Curtis in the Office of Quality and Continuous Learning.
Eva.email@example.com Phone: 419.530.2036
Who do I call with any questions?
For more information about this Certificate Program or any individual session within this program, contact Jeff Witt in the Office of Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement.