UT Diversity Menu
- Diversity Home
- Student Services
- Registrar's Office
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Community Resources
- Diversity Offices
- Health Science Campus Diversity Resources
- Women Support Resources
- Diversity Plans
- President's Council on Diversity
Culture Building Institute
University Hall 3770
- Diversity at The University of Toledo
- Catharine S. Eberly Center for Women
- Office of Accessibility
- Office of Equity, Diversity & Community Engagement
- Office of EXCELlence
- Toledo Excel
- Upward Bound
- TRIO-Student Support Services
- Office of Faculty and Student Diversity
- Office of Global Initiatives
- Office of Institutional Diversity (OID)
- Office of Multicultural Student Services
- African American Student Enrichment Services
- Latino Initiatives
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Initiatives
- Project SCOUT
- Upward Bound
Sponsored by the Office of Equity, Diversity & Community Engagement (OEDC) in collaboration with the Office of Quality and Continuous Learning (OQCL) the Culture Building Institute Diversity Certificate provides further education about the topic of diversity and engages the campus community in dialogue and discussion addressing relevant issues.
Any current UT employee is eligible to participate in the program free of charge. Registration is required, please contact Eva Curtis in OQCL, via email Eva.email@example.com or phone 419.530.2036.
The UT Culture Building Institute Diversity Certificate consists of the following seminars.To earn the certificate, participants must complete the first six seminars then any three of the optional six.
Required Sessions (must attend all)
1. Social Psychology and Diversity Thursday, October 17, 2013- 1:00- 4:30 pm with Selina Griswold, Associate Professor, Department of Business Technology
2. Global Citizenship Tuesday, October 22, 2013- 1:00 - 4:30 pm with Pete Thomas, Director, Experiential Learning, Mark Schroeder, International Undergraduate Admissions, Alex Wrege, Program Director, American Language Institute
3. Supplier Diversity and Minority Business Development Thursday, October 31, 2013- 1:00- 4:30 pm with Erik Johnson, Manager of UT’s Minority Business Development Center, Jen Pastorek, Interim Chief Financial Officer and Vice President of Finance.
4. Building a Culture of Diversity; Interpersonal Communication Friday, November 1, 2013- 8:30 am- 4:30 pm with Dr. Shanda Gore, Associate VP, Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement and Jeff Witt, Program Manager, Office of Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement
5. Measuring Diversity Tuesday, November 19, 2013- 1:00- 4:30 pm with Dr. Shanda Gore, Associate VP, Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement, Jeff Witt, Program Manager, Office of Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement
6. Law, Policy and The Right Thing To Do; Harassment and Bullying Friday, November 22, 2013- 8:30 am – 12:30 pm with Lisa Kovach, Associate Professor, Education, Robert Salem, Clinical Professor, Law-Instruction
7. Law, Policy and The Right Thing To Do; Disabilities Friday, November 22, 2013- 1:30 pm – 4:30 pm with Wendy Wiitala, ADA/504 Compliance Officer, Toni Howard, Interim Director, Office of Academic Access.
Optional Sessions (must attend at least 4)
1. Film Viewing: Miss Representation with Panel Thursday, September 12, 2013- 5:30 – 7:30 pm Film Viewing Sponsored by the Eberly Center for Women and UT’s Women’s Commission. Discussion Panel led by Charlene Gilbert, Chair, Department of Women’s and Gender Studies. Thank you to our partners: Departments of Communication and Women's and Gender Studies, the University Libraries, the UT Women's Commission, League of Women Voters, and AAUW Toledo.
2. Tour of the Arab American National Museum; Dearborn, MI Friday, September 20, 2013- 11:00 am – 5:00 pm this trip is funded by a Toledo Community Foundation grant and is sponsored by the Office of Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement and the Center for International Studies and Programs.
3. Safe Place Training- Expanded Monday, October 28, 2013- 1:00 – 4:30 pm with Fatima Pervaiz, Program Coordinator, Office of Multicultural Student Success
4. Religious Diversity Friday, October 25, 2013- 1:00– 4:30 pm with Dr. Jeanine Diller, Director UT Center for Religious Understanding
5. Gender and Gender Identity Tuesday, November 5, 2013- 1:00 - 4:30 pm with professor Charlene Gilbert, Department of Women's and Gender Studies
6. Building a Bridge to Successful Aging Thursday, November 7, 2013- 1:00 – 4:30 pm with Dr. Barbara Kopp Miller, Director, UT Center for Successful Aging and Dr. Victoria Steiner, Assistant Admin. Director, Center for Successful Aging
7. Book Discussion: "Talking About Race" by Kaolin Tuesday, December 3, 2013- 1:00 - 4:30 pm with Jeff Witt, Program Manager, Office of Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who is the Culture Building Institute (CBI) For?
A: The Culture Building Institute Diversity Certificate is designed for any current UT employee free of charge.
Q: How do I earn the certificate?
A: To earn the certificate participants must complete the first six seminars then any three of the optional six. If you are unable to attend every session, you can complete your certificate in the following semester by attending the required sessions missed in the previous semester.
Q: Will completing the certificate count towards my diversity training requirement?
A: Yes but only upon completion of the entire diversity certificate.
How Do I Register?
To register for this Certificate Program or any individual session within this program, complete the form (link below) and send it to Eva Curtis in the Office of Quality and Continuous Learning.
Eva.firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 419.530.2036
Who do I call with any questions?
For more information about this Certificate Program or any individual session within this program, contact Jeff Witt in the Office of Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement.