UT Online

Online Student Complaints and Grievances

The University of Toledo provides several means by which student complaints and grievances may be addressed. Online students from out-of-state should attempt to resolve any issues or complaints with Learning Ventures. The Office of Student Advocacy and Support, 419.530.2471, is another resource available for students with complaints where staff ensure prompt attention and investigate confidentially and impartially in order to achieve equitable resolutions. In all cases, students are advised to put their complaints in writing and carefully document the events that led to the complaint or grievance.

Complaints should be expressed as soon as possible after the event occurs; some of the procedures below have specific deadlines for filing grievances or complaints.

Final grade appeals:

For undergraduates, please consult your academic department, as procedures vary. Graduate students should refer to the grade appeal procedure.

Appeals of academic integrity sanctions:

Please consult your academic department, as procedures vary.

Complaints regarding discrimination or harassment:

Contact the Office of Equity & Diversity (419-530-5538). Also visit Policies and Procedures, where you will find a comprehensive list of definitions, policies, and procedures, and the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards (419-530-5476) for more student and parent resources.

Appeals of student conduct recommendations and actions:

The procedure for appealing actions or recommendations stemming from a conduct board hearing can be found in the Student Code of Conduct.

Grievances related:

to the determination of eligibility for reasonable accommodations and/or the provision of disability-related services and/or accommodations through Student Disability Services: see the procedures outlined on the Student Disability Services Web site.

Allegations of misconduct by other students:

Follow the procedures outlined in Article V, section A of the Student Code of Conduct.

Appeals of state residency classification for tuition purposes:

Ohio In-State Residency Procedure.

Appeals of decisions made by the Graduate School:

Please consult your academic department, as procedures vary.

Other Complaints

For complaints that do not fall into the categories above, the following procedure should be followed:

  • Attempt to resolve the matter directly with the person against whom the complaint is directed.
  • If a resolution is not reached, submit the complaint in writing to the person’s immediate supervisor. For a faculty member, this will usually be the department chair or program director. For a staff member, it will be the administrator to whom the staff member reports. If you are unsure whom to contact, call the office of the Dean of Students for advice. The supervisor will investigate the matter and work with you toward a resolution of your complaint.
  • If you are not satisfied with the resolution, submit your complaint in writing to the next level supervisor (in the case of a faculty member, this will normally be a dean or associate/assistant dean in the college that the course and faculty member is in).
  • If the issue is still not resolved, contact the Office of Student Advocacy and Support at 419.530.2471.

Here are some tips that may help you in the process of resolving your complaint:

Whoever is investigating your complaint will want to hear all sides of the story before making a recommendation and may ask you to meet with the person against whom your complaint is directed.

Your confidentiality will be protected within reason, but officials of the university may require access to your "educational record," which includes most of the information that the university has about you. However, most people outside the university do not have access to your educational record without your written permission.

Except in certain emergency situations, and unless your parents have established that they claim you as a dependent for income tax purposes, we obtain your written permission before discussing your educational record with your parents. For more information on the confidentiality of student records, see FERPA and Confidentiality.

You have the right to retain legal counsel, but if you do, all communication with the university about your complaint will be handled through the Office of Legal Affairs.


It is very important for you to be completely honest throughout the process of filing a complaint; knowingly furnishing false information to a conduct board or to a conduct review officer, or to any other University official is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct.

Filing Complaints with Your State or Accrediting Agency

If an issue cannot be resolved internally, you may file a complaint about The University of Toledo with your State by referring to the following list of State Agencies (updated 2/12) in compliance with U.S. Department of Education regulations. You may also contact our accrediting agency, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Higher Learning Commission (complaints@hlcommission.org.)

Last Updated: 9/2/16