Office of Student Financial Aid


Complete Verification

Must be in a degree seeking program

Show academic progress

Aid Application Verification

Some applications are selected for a process called "verification," either by random selection by the Department of Education or because of conflicting information on the FAFSA. If your application is selected for verification the financial aid office will request documents from you like the Verification Worksheet and an IRS transcript. (In most cases to relieve the need for the transcript you can use the data retrieval process within the FAFSA filing site.) Verification is student specific, so requests made to you and your family may vary from year to year and student to student. The Department of Education and the financial aid office want to ensure you’re receiving the most in federal and state financial aid for which you’re eligible.

Q: I thought I already turned everything in for verification. Why are you telling me I need to send more information?

A: Verification is an ongoing process. We typically send requests for additional information out through the mail, but requested documents can always be viewed through the portal on the ‘Student’ tab using the tool kit in the left column under ‘Eligibility’.

Degree Programs 

It’s OK to be undecided about your specific major, but federal guidelines require that students be enrolled in programs leading to a recognized academic degree or certificate to receive aid.

Examples of degree-seeking programs include: Associate, Bachelor, Masters, Specialist and Doctorate degrees, as well as Teacher's Certification.

Federal Financial Aid Information for Graduate Students

Provisional or Special Student Admission Status

To be eligible for federal financial aid, you must be admitted in a degree-seeking program.  If you have been admitted under “provisional” or “special student” status, you will not be eligible for federal financial aid funds. 

Enrollment Status

If you intend to enroll in undergraduate or mixed level courses, it could affect your eligibility for federal financial aid.  As a graduate student, you must be enrolled and attend at least half-time graduate level credit hours each semester to be eligible for federal loans.

 Additional Funding

Graduate students may find it necessary to borrow additional loan funds beyond their Stafford Loans.  Graduate students have an opportunity to borrow through the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan Program.  Graduate students in good financial aid academic standing may borrow up to the total estimated cost of attendance less any other financial aid/resources received.

  • The application for the Graduate PLUS Loan is available at:
  • You must pass a credit check that is conducted by the Department of Education.
  • The interest rate for the Graduate PLUS Loan is fixed at 6.84% and begins to accrue at the time of disbursement.
  • Origination fees are set by the Department of Education.
  • Repayment of the Graduate PLUS Loan begins 60 days after the final disbursement for the loan period, unless you to apply to the Department of Education for a deferment.  You must be enrolled at least half-time to apply for a deferment.
  • You will also need to complete a Graduate PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) at:

 Alternative Loans

Graduate students not eligible for federal financial aid may find it necessary to borrow loan funds through alternative loan sources.  For information about alternative loans, please visit our website

If you have questions regarding financial aid, please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at 419.530.8700.

For more information, contact the Graduate College.

Transient Students

Students who are pursuing degrees from another institution but are studying at UT for just a term or two cannot be considered degree-seeking students through our office. In this case such students' best bet for receiving aid would be to contact the aid office at their "home" school, or the school they plan on transferring back to once they are finished at UT.

Drug Convictions and Federal Financial Aid Eligibility

According to federal regulations, students convicted for a drug offense that occurred during a period of enrollment while they were receiving Title IV Federal Financial Aid, may lose eligibility for Federal Aid.  For additional information, please visit

Academic Progress

The Office of Student Financial Aid wants to see you earn your degree as quickly as possible. There are minimum financial aid academic standards students must meet in order to continue receiving federal and state financial aid. Should you find that you aren’t meeting these standards (listed on the SAP Test and Fact Sheet below), you may have the option of appealing one time and then, if approved, meeting SAP criteria each term until you’re back in compliance. 

Continuing students must meet and maintain the following objectives to maintain financial aid eligibility.

Please see "SAP Test and Fact Sheet" for eligibility requirements.


Last Updated: 11/1/16